Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #8,566 of 18,765
you know you're in the high end forum when a $2,500 portable dac/amp combo is considered cheap
wink.gif

lol

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #8,567 of 18,765
maybe he meant Hugo looks cheap, and I agree.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #8,568 of 18,765
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has had their headphones reterminated, what retermination option did they end up choosing

As mentioned before, i dont particularly like changing out of a 1/8 or 1/4 plug but wouldnt mind going into a balanced XLR or mini XLR config but not sure whether to get it reterminated into a 4pin or 3pin, M or F, XLR or mini XLR

My requirements are - connecting to AK240 2.5mm Balanced and later on Liquid Cavali balanced, but would still like to retain some universality such as a 3.5mm plug.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #8,569 of 18,765

Yes, sounds good enough to not care about amps any more. Though Sabre may not be everyone's cup of tea. And if you are after "sweet finesse", you may found other amps - mentioned above - do marginally better. It's that margin where YMMV. My experience aligns with that of @up late, the TH900 sounds pretty good with most amps, be it dedicated headphone amps or speaker amps with HP output. My top rec goes for Leben, which is also a fine speaker amp, but in that price range there are many tube and SS designs that sound very good, too. However, IMHO spending more than 1000 euros on a dedicated amp for the TH900 is overkill (but remember, YMMV).

You're right :) Just got my 900's in today.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #8,570 of 18,765
The TH900  is a TOTL can.  As such, it is revealing of different types of amplification and other upstream gear.   The TH900 will sound different with different types of amplification. It is not immune to different amps.  

Better amps, better sound, just like other TOTL cans.  Sure, it will sound "good" out of most amps, but it will scale up and sound better as you move up the amp food chain.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #8,571 of 18,765
  The TH900  is a TOTL can.  As such, it is revealing of different types of amplification and other upstream gear.   The TH900 will sound different with different types of amplification. It is not immune to different amps.  

Better amps, better sound, just like other TOTL cans.  Sure, it will sound "good" out of most amps, but it will scale up and sound better as you move up the amp food chain.

Blake,

Have you heard the TH900 with the HUGO?  Just curious where you rate the "amp" section of the HUGO with the TH900.  I am loving it and think it is a great match given the impedance and sensitivity of the TH900.  As I stated in another post, I was given a pair of McIntosh MHP1000 (2K no less) to demo and it just doesn't compare to the TH900 with the HUGO; and while the HUGO drives the HD800 I can't say, like with the McIntosh, it is optimal, whereas I find it pretty amazing with the TH900.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #8,572 of 18,765

I will say, from my limited experience the TH900 doesn't seem to scale nearly as dramatically as my Sig Pros. With a lesser source the Fostex are massively better than my Ultrasones, but on higher end rigs the gap is much smaller.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #8,573 of 18,765
Blake,

Have you heard the TH900 with the HUGO?  Just curious where you rate the "amp" section of the HUGO with the TH900.  I am loving it and think it is a great match given the impedance and sensitivity of the TH900.  As I stated in another post, I was given a pair of McIntosh MHP1000 (2K no less) to demo and it just doesn't compare to the TH900 with the HUGO; and while the HUGO drives the HD800 I can't say, like with the McIntosh, it is optimal, whereas I find it pretty amazing with the TH900.

100% agree. Hugo + TH900 is fabulous. Much much better than AK240 + TH900.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #8,574 of 18,765
I will say, from my limited experience the TH900 doesn't seem to scale nearly as dramatically as my Sig Pros. With a lesser source the Fostex are massively better than my Ultrasones, but on higher end rigs the gap is much smaller.

your experience with the th900 is similar to mine in that i haven't heard a noticeable improvement in its performance with different rigs

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #8,575 of 18,765
  Blake,

Hi Priaptor.  Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try the Hugo, but I would definitely be interested in listening to the TH900/Hugo combo.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #8,576 of 18,765

your experience with the th900 is similar to mine in that i haven't heard a noticeable improvement in its performance with different rigs

Agree, TH900 is not at all a scale monster like some other can's that come to mind, and that's a major strength on the TH900s behalf, because you don't need high end gear or balance expensive cables to pull the best from them, which overall adds to the uniqueness

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #8,577 of 18,765
Hi, I am considering the purchase of a TH-900 as a top end closed headphone to complement my stable of Grado open headphones.

I am seeking advice on how suitable any of my amplifiers are for the TH-900.

I have the Sennheiser HDVD-800 (DAC and amp), the Joseph Grado HPA-1, the Grado Labs RA-1, the Sony PHA-1 DAC / amp, and the FiiO E6.

Is one of these amps good for the TH-900? Seems to me that since a lot of amps mentioned on this thread I know are also recommended for the Sennheiser HD-800, then perhaps the reverse is true and the HDVD-800 will work well. However, the input impedance of the TH-900 seems to be 32 ohms, like that of my Grados that run well off of either of the Grado amps, while the HD-800 impedance is around 300 ohms with a corresponding high output impedance of the HDVD-800 being 43 ohms.

Also, is the FiiO X3 able to drive the TH-900 well without an amp?

Thanks for your help!

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #8,578 of 18,765
Hi, I am considering the purchase of a TH-900 as a top end closed headphone to complement my stable of Grado open headphones.

I have the Sennheiser HDVD-800 (DAC and amp), the Joseph Grado HPA-1, the Grado Labs RA-1, the Sony PHA-1 DAC / amp, and the FiiO E6.

Is one of these amps good for the TH-900? Seems to me that since a lot of amps mentioned on this thread I know are also recommended for the Sennheiser HD-800, then perhaps the reverse is true and the HDVD-800 will work well. However, the input impedance of the TH-900 seems to be 32 ohms, like that of my Grados that run well off of either of the Grado amps, while the HD-800 impedance is around 300 ohms with a corresponding high output impedance of the HDVD-800 being 43 ohms.

Thanks for your help!

I had an ra-1 clone many years ago.
Have you compared the sennheiser amp to the ra-1.If you believe the ra-1 is atleast as refined as the sennheiser amp, I don't think you should have a problem.
Also I wouldn't use the Fiio with the th900 if I was you.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #8,579 of 18,765

Thanks for your help!

Just read the last few post and you will find your answer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back