Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #8,584 of 18,765
Not the specs, Its not driveability thats the question. I cannot state the obvious Gandah.
Perhaps you need to demo finer equipment.

I'm not trying to say your wrong or start a argument, I'm just wanting to know why you don't think the FiiO X3 wouldn't match well with TH900, is it the sound signature or something else.  Because in saying this I know nothing of the FiiO X3 only it's specs and a few reviews, also it's popularity with head-fi community, however I do know TH900 and what it can and can't do, which isn't that much it can't do being a efficient phone

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #8,585 of 18,765
I'm not trying to say your wrong or start a argument, I'm just wanting to know why you don't think the FiiO X3 wouldn't match well with TH900, is it the sound signature or something else.  Because in saying this I know nothing of the FiiO X3 only it's specs and a few reviews, also it's popularity with head-fi community, however I do know TH900 and what it can and can't do, which isn't that much it can't do being a efficient phone

I might have come a little hard , all I'am trying to say, th900 is capable of ridiculous detail retrieval and the fiio might just hold it back compared to a standalone desktop amp.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #8,586 of 18,765
I might have come a little hard , all I'am trying to say, th900 is capable of ridiculous detail retrieval and the fiio might just hold it back compared to a standalone desktop amp.

Fair enough, as I said haven't listen to the FiiO X3 so don't know that much, maybe the detail is lacking because of the Wolfson chip which suffers from detail in the top end a little, however I don't mind the top end smoothness of a Wolfson

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #8,587 of 18,765

amplifiers power headphones/speakers - that's all they do. if the filo has sufficient power to drive the th900 adequately (and there is a dac in the signal chain) then there's no reason why it won't reproduce the sound signal and the details it contains.

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #8,588 of 18,765
amplifiers power headphones/speakers - that's all they do. if the filo has sufficient power to drive the th900 adequately (and there is a dac in the signal chain) then there's no reason why it won't reproduce the sound signal and the details it contains.

Sure, and what hi end gear have you tried?
I'am not being cheeky what so ever but I don't want you to make the same mistakes I made early on.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #8,589 of 18,765
Some phones sound there very best on high end equipment.... no question, however my personal experience tells me you don't need to go very high with the TH900s, which as I've said previously, adds to the uniqueness of this phone.

For example, if I was only going to have the TH900 in my stable and never added another phone, my setup would be extreme overkill and a total waste of money.

As most know TH900 are positive unique in many ways, being able to enjoy it's offerings on just about any system is definitely one of them.....

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #8,590 of 18,765
Sure, and what hi end gear have you tried?
I'am not being cheeky what so ever but I don't want you to make the same mistakes I made early on.

i've tried luxman, cary, phonitor, woo, violectric and others. the real mistake is to think that high price means improved performance - especially where amps are concerned. anyways the high end forum is no place for this kind of talk. :wink:

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #8,591 of 18,765
Just ordered them from the only shop that have them in Sweden, unfortunately not in stock. I could import from Japan but due to taxes and import fees I'd have to pay more than the current price (12000kr, which is about $1500). Really looking forward to them 
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #8,592 of 18,765
i've tried luxman, cary, phonitor, woo, violectric and others. the real mistake is to think that high price means improved performance - especially where amps are concerned. but this kind of talk is out of place in the high end forum anyways where prestige rules.
wink.gif

Agreed.

Even when high price is accompanied by high quality--not always the case in this high-end game where hype rules--cautious buyers should still pay attention to matching the sonic attributes of the headphones and the amps.  The objective is to minimize (not reinforce) the negatives and, if so desired, to increase the positives. The synergistic performance the Grado PS1000 and the unassuming MAD Ear+ HD is a lovely example of judicious matching. 

For the TH900, for example, I look for a high-quality tube amp with warm and somewhat forward midrange, but I avoid those with boomy bass (mostly upper-bass hump).

To just go for high prices is shear insanity. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #8,593 of 18,765
  Why? spec looks fine

I mentioned having TWO FiiOs... the X3 DAP, whose output amp is said to be the same as the FiiO E17 amp, and the FiiO E6, which is a near-postage-stamp size mini amp that put s 100 mW per channel into 32 ohms.  Perhaps it is the E6 that is being recommended against.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #8,594 of 18,765
Thanks for your inputs so far... I realize that if I were buying an amp particularly for the TH-900 ( as I actually did for my Sennheiser HD-800s (the HDVD 800), my Grado HP1000s (the Grado HPA-1), and my Grado RS-1is (the Grado RA-1), I would get something mentioned on this thread, perhaps one of the Fostex amps.

But I am trying to perform "due diligence" before purchasing a TH-900 that one of the amps I have already will not limit the TH-900's performance... I can't afford to get another amp just now (actually, can't afford a TH-900 either, but, well, you know...)

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #8,595 of 18,765
  Thanks for your inputs so far... I realize that if I were buying an amp particularly for the TH-900 ( as I actually did for my Sennheiser HD-800s (the HDVD 800), my Grado HP1000s (the Grado HPA-1), and my Grado RS-1is (the Grado RA-1), I would get something mentioned on this thread, perhaps one of the Fostex amps.

But I am trying to perform "due diligence" before purchasing a TH-900 that one of the amps I have already will not limit the TH-900's performance... I can't afford to get another amp just now (actually, can't afford a TH-900 either, but, well, you know...)

Thanks!

I'm sure one of the amps you already have will be a decent match. At the last meet when I heard the TH900 and I was wondering how I could afford it, someone encouraged me to sell my entire setup and just run the Fostex from my phone or computer. I did not do that, lol, but you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back