Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 1, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #8,551 of 18,765
Unrelated to current discussion but Happy New Year guys !
beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #8,554 of 18,765
Yeah you do see it a lot in most threads, including the Senn threads, and if you give honest thoughts that may go against the nature of the thread........ Lookout

oh what a heavy burden you bear truth speaker :wink:

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #8,557 of 18,765
Just a heads up.

While I haven't posted much on these forums as I tend to think of myself of a big system guy, I recently (this past summer) got a HUGO with Fostex TH900 with Silver Dragon cables. I was looking for a portable rig and this is what was recommended, which I tried and fell in love with.  I initially tried the HD800 and while I understand why people love them, didn't find they suited my taste, particularly with the HUGO.

However, I have been lent a pair of the McIntosh MHP1000 for comparison to my Fostex and just wanted to share some very preliminary impressions.  While some may rave about the fit and finish of the Macs, they are no Fostex.  However, they are very comfortable and give better isolation which shouldn't be a big surprise.  

For those considering a HUGO or have a HUGO, I think the MHP1000 should be on the short list of optimal cans for the HUGO for trial, assuming one is willing to part with the $$ these and the Fostex cost.  They do match very well, although I do prefer the Fostex. The Fostex have a richer and fuller sound, better soundstage all clearly evident with any binaural recordings.  Particularly in the lower octave strings, such as cellos, bass guitar, etc the air and fullness of the instrument to me is more enjoyable with the Fostex.  

I am going to try the MHP1000 with a different head amp prior to returning, but they are a very nice alternative which I think will get better with some break-in for those considering the Fostex. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #8,558 of 18,765
  My listening perception is that the TH900 excels at percussion: drums, blocks, bongos, etc. with lots of amazing snap, precision, and accurate characterization of the texture of each type of such instruments.
In fact, just last week, I commented to myself that the TH900 has an amazingly exciting and dramatic ability to hit hard (but not in a way that is pushy or overwhelming at all).
I actually meant to post this here but I never got around to it and your question reminded me to do so here.

Was definitely my impression when I heard these. That's what I like about my Ultrasones, so I was pretty impressed the TH900 could have the same presentation with such a spacious soundstage.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #8,560 of 18,765
I am also looking for a quick recommendation on a DAC/Amp for the TH-900. 

Budget is $1,000/max for both the dac and amp.

1. Burson Audio Conductor SL with PCM1793 chip which is apparently favored over the sabre dac by some people
2. Schiit Bifrost Uber / Asgard 2 

or a lower cost solution
3. Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 2

I am one who is of the option that the headphones dictate 70% - 80% of the sound quality and the DAC/Amp will augment to some degree so my budget was at around 70% to the cost of the headphone. There are posts on this site in which people describe the inability to successfully identify the difference between the two Schiit set ups using blind testing parameters. Complicating my decision is that opinions of both Burson and Schiit seem quite varied in this thread.

Input from anyone whose has tested any 2 of these configurations with the Th-900 would be helpful. Thanks!

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #8,561 of 18,765
No, get it right with one thing only, the dac.
Once you have the right dac work your way.
The Chord Hugo is a good cheap DAC, with a decent amp. Get that along with a th 900.
Anyone her to prove me wrong at this price point ?

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #8,563 of 18,765
  I am also looking for a quick recommendation on a DAC/Amp for the TH-900. 

Budget is $1,000/max for both the dac and amp.

1. Burson Audio Conductor SL with PCM1793 chip which is apparently favored over the sabre dac by some people
2. Schiit Bifrost Uber / Asgard 2 

or a lower cost solution
3. Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 2

I am one who is of the option that the headphones dictate 70% - 80% of the sound quality and the DAC/Amp will augment to some degree so my budget was at around 70% to the cost of the headphone. There are posts on this site in which people describe the inability to successfully identify the difference between the two Schiit set ups using blind testing parameters. Complicating my decision is that opinions of both Burson and Schiit seem quite varied in this thread.

Input from anyone whose has tested any 2 of these configurations with the Th-900 would be helpful. Thanks!

I've had Uberfrost/Asgard 2 with TH900's, and it's a very nice combo. Probably one of the best deals for the money, plus you can always upgrade the amp later if need be. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #8,565 of 18,765
you know you're in the high end forum when a $2,500 portable dac/amp combo is considered cheap :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back