Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Sep 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,097 of 3,438
Sep 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #1,102 of 3,438
 didn't spend more than 1-2 hours on it, i feel like it is brighter than it should be and less musical/fun for now, do i need some burning? i am using Yulong D100 MKII. 

Update: i switched to Sound Mode #2 which is warmer and brightness went down, time to burn that baby in  :p  
Update: back to sound mode one because the brightness went down after a little burning.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,103 of 3,438
  TH600s arrived today.  I'm going to be burning them in as fast as I can, then posting impressions vs. my LCD-2.2s on ALO Pan Am.
And then getting a second job.

Ok, it's been two weeks, I think everything has mostly settled.
Busy so this will be quick.
The LCD-2s are amazing with the Pan Am.  Amazing.  I swapped out the stock tubes for the Voshkods and they're really alive in a way I haven't encountered yet (which I think has revealed I like bass--not a surprise).
But this thread's about the TH600s, so here goes.
The TH600s also sound terrific with the Pan Am.  I have found so far, however, that they sound relatively similar through the amps I've tried.  They're even pretty close to the ballpark coming straight out of an iDevice.  I noticed especially when I switched the tubes to the Voshkods the bass became even more dynamic without darkening any of the rest of things.  It feels as if it's alive, and what was already an UNdry bass is downright soaking now--but still controlled. I've noticed a slight emphasis of the v-shape I believe these are widely regarded to have.  I don't mind bass or treble, so this works just fine for me.  My impressions overall of this set of headphones is that they're audiophile-friendly fun.  The Pan Am makes them slightly more so.  
With the Pan Am, I also felt a widening of the soundstage, but not so dramatically that I'd say it fundamentally changed the phones.
So, I'm not sure I would bank on the Pan Am giving you a double digit percentage increase of pleasure with the TH600s vs other amps, but that's primarily because, to these ears, they just sound so similar (and great) regardless of what I've played them through.
My other impressions are that the TH600s with Pan Am both new vs. now burned in fairly well: this combo gives a pretty good idea of its sound signature right out of the box--no big surprises as time has gone by.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,104 of 3,438
is the  Pan Am a warm or bright amp i am looking to make this TH600 of mine to produce more fun!! 

i am using Yulong D100 MKII and for some reason i am getting way less fun than i used to do on Dacport LX----> Uha.6.MKII(8610)---> Um Miracle,

i've spend like 3-4 hours so far, don't know why i feel that something big is missing,

started to think it is the amp maybe, using sound mode 2 to make the sound warmer to avoid the brightness. 

Quote:
  Ok, it's been two weeks, I think everything has mostly settled.
Busy so this will be quick....etc 

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,105 of 3,438
andydavid

thanks for sharing your experience with pan am th600 combo. I am looking to gun for this cans in the near future. very helpful!
Yes I love bass and I have Voshoks and Mullards tubes for my pan am.

Thanks Again!

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,106 of 3,438
 i am looking to make this TH600 of mine to produce more fun!! 

I can't speak to your current setup, the TH600 is fun to me.  To clarify my previous post, I really bought the Pan Am to pair with the LCD-2s, a pairing about which there is enough written that I won't belabor the point.  Technically speaking the Pan Am is an impedance mismatch with the TH600, which is only 25ohm.  Nonetheless, I find the combo pretty darn fun.  I'm not familiar with the Lyr but I see the logic of the thinking there.  I suspect the WA6 or WA7 would be dreamy with the TH600s, and have the flexibility to drive just about anything else.  I think those of you looking for a 'perfect' pairing just for the TH600s might look at those instead.  The LCD-2 pairing, tube rolling and the transportability were the main factors for me on the Pan Am.  If I had to guess my final destination probably has 'Woo' written all over it.  And my guess is that then I'll hear things in the TH600s I haven't yet!

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,107 of 3,438
  Can anyone comment on the isolation of the 600 relative to the AKG K271mk2?

I'm thinking of getting the 600 as an upgrade to my home office closed headphone setup (where I need to not annoy my nearby wife with my music). I understand they aren't the most sealed off headphone, but neither are the 271s so I'm hoping they wont be significantly more open. 

I'll answer my own question now.. Seems that the TH600s leak a bit more than the 271s. Not so much that it's a problem though. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,110 of 3,438
Well I have one anyway so I guess I'll find out when the headphones arrive in the next couple of days. I've read that they scale well, but yes, it is the Conductor's power that concerns me. I'm hoping the low gain setting will give me room for manoeuvre with the volume pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back