Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Sep 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,126 of 3,438
I'm thinking of selling my LCD 2s and getting some TH600s. Is this a wise move or a downgrade? I love the LCDs but want to try something different with a cleaner more dynamic sound.

You're on the right track for what you're looking for- clean, detailed, dynamic. TH600 are more like full range speakers compared to monitors. If you can listen to a pair 1st it would help. I like the mids and find them detailed and full of texture(not overly recessed), but some have said they are "open" enough. The mids are not open like my HE-500s, but I don't find them lacking excitement and nuance in vocals. Hope that helps.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,127 of 3,438
I'm thinking of selling my LCD 2s and getting some TH600s. Is this a wise move or a downgrade? I love the LCDs but want to try something different with a cleaner more dynamic sound.

They are completely different headphone, you will get the clearer (and brighter) treble in TH600, similiar bass quantity, but with very different midrange  and soundstage presentation

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,129 of 3,438
You're on the right track for what you're looking for- clean, detailed, dynamic. TH600 are more like full range speakers compared to monitors. If you can listen to a pair 1st it would help. I like the mids and find them detailed and full of texture(not overly recessed), but some have said they are "open" enough. The mids are not open like my HE-500s, but I don't find them lacking excitement and nuance in vocals. Hope that helps.

Do they have any warmth to their tonality or do they sound cold and clinical? Also, are they much of a step up from the old Denon D5000s? I loved them but found the bass boring after a while cos it lacked texture and was too loose.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,130 of 3,438
Do they have any warmth to their tonality or do they sound cold and clinical? Also, are they much of a step up from the old Denon D5000s? I loved them but found the bass boring after a while cos it lacked texture and was too loose.

Further back in this thread the tonal balance was described very well, probably better than i can describe it.They are not dark sounding, some might call the treble bright :p. They are not at all cold or clinical, the tonal textures are not lean. With my CK2III its more like white light than tube warmth(like brimars or gold globes) with the Lyr. I don't think I'm describing it as well as previously done in this thread. I have no experience with the Denons so I can't compare.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,131 of 3,438
Further back in this thread the tonal balance was described very well, probably better than i can describe it.They are not dark sounding, some might call the treble bright :p. They are not at all cold or clinical, the tonal textures are not lean. With my CK2III its more like white light than tube warmth(like brimars or gold globes) with the Lyr. I don't think I'm describing it as well as previously done in this thread. I have no experience with the Denons so I can't compare.

Does the bass have good texture?

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #1,132 of 3,438
Hello guys, I'm looking for the perfect set of cans to upgrade from my Ultrasone Pro 900s. So far my search has led me to the Ultrasone Signature Pro DJ  and FostexTH600. Can someone give me some comparisons to the Pro 900s if anyone on this thread happens to have both and can give some insight I'd greatly appreciate it. I use my Pro 900s as an all arounder for everything basically (portable use as well) so those factors matter to me somewhat as well. I know the TH600 isn't the most portable friendly but I wouldn't mind taking it out in terms of size and logistics goes unless durability was a problem. One of the most important qualities for me was to keep the powerful bass of the 900s while taking up the clearness and openness of other cans I find top notch like the high end Grado cans. Is there such a thing? Would you guys say the TH600 comes close to that? 

Thanks in advance guys. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,134 of 3,438
Based on this thread, they are very good for jazz as the instrument separation is top notch and second only to the TH900. I'm not sure about metal though. That's a good question. Hard to believe there are closed cans that work better than the grado sound for metal music. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #1,135 of 3,438

Headphones are not necessarily either warm or cold. There's a middle point where I think the TH-600 sits.
It has a U-shaped voicing that makes it a fun headphone, and both "warm" (bass) and detailed (treble). It doesn't have extra lushness in the mids (à la HE-500 or Mad Dogs) so it's not very warm/romantic but it's not clinical or cold.
For those experienced with the Focal sound, that's pretty much the same tonality.

Does the bass have good texture?

The bass is excellent. Very deep, very well textured and certainly up there with the mid-tier planar headphones (HE-5LE, HE-500). It is a strong trait of its sound, as is treble.

Quote:
Are the TH600s good for metal and jazz?

Metal - and fast paced genres in general - is were the TH-600 shines, thanks to its fun "U-shape" nature. It reminds me of the (overlooked) HE-4 in its presentation and very fast nature.

I can't speak for jazz.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,136 of 3,438

Thanks for answering all my queries. I think Im becoming more resolute in offing the LCDs in favour of these.

Do they share the same rich sound as the old Denon line?

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #1,137 of 3,438
  Hello guys, I'm looking for the perfect set of cans to upgrade from my Ultrasone Pro 900s. So far my search has led me to the Ultrasone Signature Pro DJ  and FostexTH600. Can someone give me some comparisons to the Pro 900s if anyone on this thread happens to have both and can give some insight I'd greatly appreciate it. I use my Pro 900s as an all arounder for everything basically (portable use as well) so those factors matter to me somewhat as well. I know the TH600 isn't the most portable friendly but I wouldn't mind taking it out in terms of size and logistics goes unless durability was a problem. One of the most important qualities for me was to keep the powerful bass of the 900s while taking up the clearness and openness of other cans I find top notch like the high end Grado cans. Is there such a thing? Would you guys say the TH600 comes close to that? 

Thanks in advance guys.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,138 of 3,438
I used to own the pro900 and the 600 is superior in every way. I would say the main differences in sound sig. is the fostex focus's on sub-bass while ultrasone focus's on mid-bass, the mids sound less recessed and smoother on the 600, and the treble is much less harsh on the 600 . Both cans are v-shaped so I think it's fair to say that they are similar sounding. What got me to finally get rid of the sone is that after lots of modding I couldn't fix the harsh treble. At least for me the most I could take of the pro900's treble is about an hour before bad ringing kicked in. The 600 I can listen to all night and no ringing and the treble is still very well extended.

As for the lcd-2 vs. th-600 I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I prefer the 600 but it's just by a smidgen. However if your looking for 2 1k cans that compliment each other I don't recommend those 2 together. I'm still sticking to my he-500/th-600 and lcd-2/hd800 if you have more to spend.

Is the TH600s bass punchy or just rumbley?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back