Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Feb 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #301 of 3,438

TH600_Sample_preview.jpg
975.png

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #304 of 3,438
Edit: Same review put here :-
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/reviews/8476

I apologise for the late report on the initial impressions of the Fostex TH-600. I spent early part of last week burning the headphone in. But when that was complete I was hit with the flu and high fever. The above photo was actually my bedroom rig during recovery. Post recovery, I actually managed to make some time to have a listen to the TH-600 a bit, and compare it to the Signature Pros and the TH-900. Over the weekend my friend & I attempted to find a pair of Denon AH-D7000 but there was none! Tokyo may be great with the latest and the greatest but they're also quick to stash away succeeded models. So sadly, no comparisons to the D7000 - not even 2nd hands.

Please note that these are very preliminary listening over the past 3 days and I've got another 1.5 days with it before I should probably return them back to Fostex.

Introductory Highlights

The way I'd quickly summarise the TH-600 is that it introduces the Fostex TH-signature to those who are curious about how Fostex TH house sound sounds like. It shares many qualities physical and sonic to the TH-900, but at the end of the day, this is still the little baby brother of the TH-900. The price of the TH-600 will retail for approx Y84,000 in Tokyo whilst the bigger older brother retails for approx Y130,000 street price.

Construction and Design

The TH-600 shares the same design, headband, earcup size, and ear pads as the TH-900. The fundamental differences between the two are the drivers are now 1.0 Tesla whilst the bigger brother is 1.5 Tesla. The cables are also 6N OFC whilst the other is 7N OFC. Visually the biggest difference is the magnesium textured black ear cups. The 1/4" plug is also sliver textured and is heavier than the TH-900's fingerprint prone chrome.

Overall the TH-600 is more stealth and understated but yet very classy. The textured magnesium cup is actually very feels rather industrial to touch.

Sound Signature

I'll start off by saying that aside from a few snippet comments here and there, I won't be doing a thorough sound comparison between the TH-600 and the TH-900 as I've previously mentioned in this thread that I feel it won't do the TH-600 justice. However I will say it's SQ matches my expectation for its given price. I was lucky enough to have Bootsy1 loan me his Ultrasone Signature Pro which to me is more similarly priced. Thank you Bootsy1.

The TH-600 shares similar tonal signatures to the TH-900 that it's a somewhat mild U-shape. I won't really say that one has more bass or treble quantity than the other, nor ones mid more recessed, laid/pulled back from the other. By comparison the Signature Pro has a more prominent mids, slightly less sub bass, and slightly more forward treble.

Overall the TH-600 has a more laid-back sound especially compared to the Signature Pros. I find it excels in slower vocal jazz (take your pick out of the Best Audiophile Voices series), whereas in more modern vocals Jazz or strong vocals where there's potential for some speed (such as Michael Buble, Adele, etc.) I prefer the Signature Pros. With slower paced genre, the TH-600 feels it has room to move and ease into music. Instruments and vocals are well separated and have room to breath. Whereas strong vocals like Adele where there's a varying pace, the TH-600 doesn't have the intimacy of the Signature Pros. As such the Signature Pros feel more engaged.

The soundstage and imaging of the TH-600 is by far larger and deeper than the Signature Pro, which shouldn't be a surprise. However, and this was something I didn't notice before with the Signature Pro, is the S-Logic's 3D feels more simulated whereas the TH-600 feels much more natural. Along with that, the resolution of the TH-600 is also greater giving a smoother presentation whereas the Signature Pro can occasionally feel somewhat grainy.

However, the tables are turned when the TH-600 is compared to the TH-900. The older bigger brother gives a bigger sound. Despite having the basic similar tonal signature, the TH-900 is more expansive, even greater soundstage, imaging, and more immersive. That's where the almost-double price show it's true value (instead of the Urushi cups as most may think).

These are my raw notes I made during listening :-

Best Audiophile Voices VI
Auld Lang Syne
  1. SigPro more closed and intimate. Detailed but feels a little grainy in comparison to the TH-600. 
  2. TH-600 sits in between the SigPros and the TH-900 in soundstage and imaging. Increased resolution makes vocals sound smoother than the SigPros. Also more mellow/easy going in comparison to the SigPros.

Spanish Harlem
  1. Both TH-600 and TH-900 are detailed but TH-900 has the edge over the detail and separation.
  2. The TH-600 may seem to sound a little taller than the TH-900 though. Not certain what's going on there.
  3. Signature Pro feels much more "in your face" impactful whilst the TH-600 remains quite laid-back & natural.
  1. SigPro's S-Logic 3D imaging vs the TH-600 3D imaging is definitely noticeable. The SigPro just feels more "simulated" whereas the TH-600 feels more natural.

Tennessee Waltz
  1. Again, the TH-600 sounds a little more intimate whilst the TH-900 has the large hall effect. But compared to the SigPros, the TH-600 feels wide.
  2. SigPro sounds a little grainy in comparison to the TH-600.

Michael Buble's Call Me Irresponsible
Lost
  1. The biggest difference heard between the TH-900 and TH-600. TH-900 gives the bigger sound in clarity/transparency
  2. Voice sounds cleaner on the TH-900, and so is separation
  3. TH-600 possibly sounds a little more neutral? Not as U-shaped as the TH-900? Weird oddity. It's the only track where the tonal signature sounds different.
  1. TH-600's wider soundstage has a better separation in comparison to the SigPros
  2. TH-600's laid back signature sometimes feels that it lacks the detail in comparison to SigPros more upfront presentation. Or the details in the TH-600 are just more subtle to detect whereas the SigPros are just more in your face. The treble forwardness obviously gives a more apparent greater detail.
  3. The SigPros has a more forward mid and treble presentation whereas the TH-600 has the more textured reverberating sub to mid bass.

Michael Buble's It's Time
Home
  1. The TH-600 continues to sit between the TH-900 and the SigPros. Compare it to the TH-900, the TH-600 feels intimate, but compare it to the SigPros, they feel wider.
  2. The TH-900 remains engaging and better separation
  3. SigPros have a more forward vocal mids than the TH-600. Feels more impactful than the TH-600
  4. The TH-600 feels much more laid back compared to the SigPros.

Adele's 21
Set Fire To The Rain
  1. TH-900 has the edge in clarity
  2. Mids between the TH-600 and TH-900 seem to be the same.
  3. The TH-600's bass maybe slightly less forward (or is the narrower soundstage drowning the bass forwardness?). The TH-900 also seems to sound to have a tad more treble (or is it again the separation?)
  1. TH-600's laidback mids is more apparent compared to the SigPros. Again more spacious but feels less engaging than the SigPros

Ill Be Waiting
  1. TH-900 may have more sub-bass whilst the TH-600 on the mid bass
  2. SigPros feels more engaging.

Original Flashdance Soundtrack
Maniac
  1. TH-600 has less depth dimension (polite way of saying more 2D) in comparison to the TH-900.
  2. SigPros feel faster and more engaging.

Conclusion For Now

I think for those who are curious about the Fostex TH-series house sound, the TH-600 will please. It actually performs well for a headphone of it's price range. I actually can't think of another closed back (I personally do not believe in comparing open to closed) of that price that would sound nice and articulate.

Having said that at least for my ears I do have preferences of certain genre where the TH-600 will shine more than others. Ideally one would own different types of headphones for different types of genre (the TH-600 for laid back tracks, the SigPros for strong vocals, the SigDJ for pop/hiphop/electronic). However if I had to choose only 1x closed-back headphone for home use of around this price range, the TH-600 would make me very happy.

Big Thanks To Bootsy1 For Loaning Me His Signature Pros!

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #305 of 3,438
Thank you for your impressions AnakChan! Somewhat disappointing to hear they don't measure up that well against the TH900s, but they don't sound without promise.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #306 of 3,438
Interesting, so it's a less refined little sister to the TH900. Anakchan, in your opinion which of the two headphones is better for fast paced rock/metal/electronica and huge piece orchestra soundtracks, the 900 or 600? Is the differences between the two night and day or are we talking very subtle differences that becomes noticeable over time?

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #307 of 3,438
Great review and first impressions! I'm also a little disappointed that the TH-900 is that much better, but that is just me being tight with money and not wanting to spend 2k on the TH-900. Looking forward to some other reviews, but from your review.. I might have to pass since I have the D7000.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #308 of 3,438
Quote:
Thank you for your impressions AnakChan! Somewhat disappointing to hear they don't measure up that well against the TH900s, but they don't sound without promise.

Great review and first impressions! I'm also a little disappointed that the TH-900 is that much better, but that is just me being tight with money and not wanting to spend 2k on the TH-900. Looking forward to some other reviews, but from your review.. I might have to pass since I have the D7000.

I gathered that this is going to be most of the audience's sticking point. But as I mentioned a few posts back it also doesn't make sense to expect a TOTL SQ for almost 1/2 the price especially if it's a product line from the same company.  I think it's quite unrealistic to expect as such. Car analogies inevitably fail but since it's 4:52 a.m. here, I can be excused :wink:. I just look at it as the same as the BMW M series vs the standard series.

I would stress again, for that price (in Japan at least Y84,000), I can't think of another closed-back headphones for home use that would perform to the TH-600 level (To my ears naturally). Is there better? Of course but it comes at a price - the TH-900 or the MDR-R10 would come to mind. As for open headphones, that's a different matter altogether. 

Interesting, so it's a less refined little sister to the TH900. Anakchan, in your opinion which of the two headphones is better for fast paced rock/metal/electronica and huge piece orchestra soundtracks, the 900 or 600? Is the differences between the two night and day or are we talking very subtle differences that becomes noticeable over time?

If $$ is no object I'd personally pick the TH-900 naturally (well, actually I did as I do have the TH-900 :)). In fact, in my home, the TH-900 is the fun headphone for rock 'n pop, etc. whilst the Stax SR-009 is the jazz/classical. But that's drifting from the TH-600 topic.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #309 of 3,438
Quote:

I gathered that this is going to be most of the audience's sticking point. But as I mentioned a few posts back it also doesn't make sense to expect a TOTL SQ for almost 1/2 the price especially if it's a product line from the same company.  I think it's quite unrealistic to expect as such. Car analogies inevitably fail but since it's 4:52 a.m. here, I can be excused :wink:. I just look at it as the same as the BMW M series vs the standard series.

I would stress again, for that price (in Japan at least Y84,000), I can't think of another closed-back headphones for home use that would perform to the TH-600 level (To my ears naturally). Is there better? Of course but it comes at a price - the TH-900 or the MDR-R10 would come to mind. As for open headphones, that's a different matter altogether. 

If $$ is no object I'd personally pick the TH-900 naturally (well, actually I did as I do have the TH-900 :)). In fact, in my home, the TH-900 is the fun headphone for rock 'n pop, etc. whilst the Stax SR-009 is the jazz/classical. But that's drifting from the TH-600 topic.

Agreed, it is unrealistic to hope that somehow the TH-600 would match up to the TH-900, but I think the people that believe that potentially it could come true are those skeptical of the price of the TH-900. While I understand the headphone is a flagship model, I think many members here rather buy an HD800 and LCD-2 for the same price, or LCD-3 and D7000.. if closed headphones are needed.

I'm just playing devils advocate, but I've seen it in the past with many products.. the new and cheaper model, sometimes surpasses the old and more expensive one.

With that being said, I'm glad Fostex is taking in to consideration their market. I'm generalizing a bit, but when it comes to closed cans, many people in the market for such are those of younger age IMO.. thus usually less money to throw around.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #310 of 3,438
Quote:
Agreed, it is unrealistic to hope that somehow the TH-600 would match up to the TH-900, but I think the people that believe that potentially it could come true are those skeptical of the price of the TH-900. While I understand the headphone is a flagship model, I think many members here rather buy an HD800 and LCD-2 for the same price, or LCD-3 and D7000.. if closed headphones are needed.

I'm just playing devils advocate, but I've seen it in the past with many products.. the new and cheaper model, sometimes surpasses the old and more expensive one.

With that being said, I'm glad Fostex is taking in to consideration their market. I'm generalizing a bit, but when it comes to closed cans, many people in the market for such are those of younger age IMO.. thus usually less money to throw around.

The problem with pricing is that it's relative to where you're living in. Whilst in the US the TH-900 == LCD-3, here in Japan, it'll be the TH-900 + TH-600 +  equiv USD$100 = LCD-3.

At times it makes sense to compare, whilst in other times, it doesn't. Each person will need to decide their priorities and factors to consider during such times.

I agree with you that with some other brands and their products, their newer cheaper models do surpass their older expensive ones. To me the Ultrasone Signature Pro's and DJ's (the new ones, not the lower end range) are cheaper and sonically more pleasing to my ears than their more expensive Edition 8 cousins.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #311 of 3,438
Quote:

The problem with pricing is that it's relative to where you're living in. Whilst in the US the TH-900 == LCD-3, here in Japan, it'll be the TH-900 + TH-600 +  equiv USD$100 = LCD-3.

At times it makes sense to compare, whilst in other times, it doesn't. Each person will need to decide their priorities and factors to consider during such times.

I agree with you that with some other brands and their products, their newer cheaper models do surpass their older expensive ones. To me the Ultrasone Signature Pro's and DJ's (the new ones, not the lower end range) are cheaper and sonically more pleasing to my ears than their more expensive Edition 8 cousins.

Very true, did not consider the price differences between countries.. very good point. And I completely agree that Ultrasone Sig Pros, are by far the best Ultrasones I've heard. I hope someone that gets a pair of TH-600 has a pair of D7000's to compare to. It is my only closed can right now, and I'm looking to buy a new one, but I can't decide if I want to splurge and buy the TH-900, get the TH-600 soon, or wait for the Audeze closed-back. Right now I'm leaning towards waiting for the Audeze, because hopefully they will be the closed can to beat in the future. *fingers crossed*

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #312 of 3,438
There needs to be a D7000 vs TH600 comparison soon, as I have the suspicion that they will be close to identical. Just have that feeling.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #313 of 3,438
Quote:
Edit: Same review put here :-
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/reviews/8476

Big Thanks To Bootsy1 For Loaning Me His Signature Pros!

Thanks for your impressions AnakChan!
And even better that you compared these to the Sig Pros! 
beerchug.gif

How about leakage and isolation though?
I don't think you touched on those points?

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #314 of 3,438
It would be really interesting to see whats actually inside both the th600 and 900.
If the 600 sounded nearly as good, fostex would have to adjust (sabatarge) the cheaper model so as not to affect the desirability of he 900.
I really like the look of these.

If we are on the subject of M cars, I'd take the 1m over all the others even with it being upto half the price. You get 90% of the performance and a bit less bling.
I think it's fair for the 600 to be 90% of the 900 without the luxuries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back