Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Feb 13, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #256 of 3,438
I've had the TH-600s burning in for about 3 days and stopped. It's actually due for a listen but I'm down with a flu and fever so no chance of that happening till I recover.

During the burn-in time though, I can distinctively hear the difference between the TH-600s and my TH-900s and IMHO, comparing between the two would do the TH-600 a grave injustice. There is a reason afterall why the TH-600 is almost 1/2 the cost of the TH-900's.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #257 of 3,438
Damn, I would have hoped they were closer in SQ to the TH900's. From your brief listening sessions, to what other headphones would you be more inclined to compare them to?

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #259 of 3,438
Quote:
Damn, I would have hoped they were closer in SQ to the TH900's. From your brief listening sessions, to what other headphones would you be more inclined to compare them to?

In many aspects they share pretty much the same signature. Just variations in soundstage, etc. To be fair I'm more inclined to compare them with other current headphones around the same price range like the Signature Pros or Signature DJ's, etc. I honestly think it won't be worthy to even compare them to the current Denons. However if I were able to get my hands on the old D7000s, that would be an interesting comparison.

Put it this way, I think if no one has ventured to this calibre of headphones, they'll love the TH-600s still. Maybe call it an "introduction" to the Fostex TH-series of sound.

Well, aside from the lack of the exclusive artisan lacquer finish and platinum leaf logo.... *whistles*

Naturally :wink:.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #260 of 3,438
Paying twice as much for a headphone rarely bring double the SQ so I would expect the TH-600 to sound very similar to the 900, but again some people hear differences between identical headphones so measurements are going be the only way to know how close these two headphones are.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #261 of 3,438
My guess then, re-branded D7000...

AnakChan, you're the only one I've seen that says the current Denon line is better than the D7000 (at least that's how it sounded like on your post).

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #262 of 3,438
Quote:
My guess then, re-branded D7000...

AnakChan, you're the only one I've seen that says the current Denon line is better than the D7000 (at least that's how it sounded like on your post).

Quite the opposite. My sarcasm obviously didn't work. I normally don't criticise headphones but probably only the D600/D7100 did I criticise harshly.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #264 of 3,438
A comparison between the new denons in terms of bass would still be welcome though (but yeah, the mids/highs definitely aren't worth bothering with). If the bass on these isn't at least as clear or textured as it is on my D600's, then they're gonna have to get a 'pass' from me...

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #265 of 3,438
That's rather disappointing, as I was hoping Fostex would take more of a "different strokes" approach between models instead of making the TH600 an inferior version of the TH900.

For instance, the Heir Audio 4.A is half the price of the 8.A. Neither is necessarily better, just tuned differently. Now you could argue the added cost is justified since more drivers are needed to produce the "color" of the 8.A. However the TH900's price point is influenced by the luxurious materials, so I still don't think it's too unreasonable to use the same sort of logic. The TH900 is very much a luxury product when it comes to finish, so I can see the logic behind folks wanting a TH900 sans the luxury. This is exactly what Ultrasone did when they made the Edition 9, which was basically the Edition 7 at half cost without the super-fancy materials and presentation.

Going back to the Heir example, I personally wanted it to go a step further. To me the luxury of the materials goes hand-in-hand with the slight coloration on the TH900. The TH900 sounds luxurious too, in other words. I would have liked to have seen the TH600 treated differently, more as a reference-type tool to match its minimalistic all-black exterior. Remove the flourishes of subtle coloration present in the TH900, giving it less bass and more presence in the lower mids (as I think that "suck out" is part of what gives the vocals that forward projecting quality, a double-edged sword). So neither better nor necessarily worse, just different.

Basically if the TH600 has even *some* of the TH900's charms while reducing the bass quantity even slightly, I wont regret buying one. But "the next D7000?" I have to groan when I see comments to that effect. Getting mighty tired of the bass bloat on otherwise good headphones / earphones. The IE800 is a perfect example.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #267 of 3,438
Quote:
If you dont want "bass bloat" then why are you looking at denon / fostex lol.

Go and look at AKG or something instead!

I was actually speaking about industry trends in general, hence my citing the Sennheiser IE800.

The majority of headphones released by Foster / Fostex over the years aren't super bassy, actually. The Denon line was voiced to Denon's specifications, and they've continued the trend with whoever their new OEM is, only taken to a new level of overbearing. That's precisely why I'm not "looking" at Denon. The TH900 on the other hand has a definite bass emphasis, but it's not bloated. There's a big difference: the bass doesn't swallow up the midrange because it's clean and largely free of bad harmonic distortion. It's still a bit too emphasized for my liking, but it can be EQ'd easily because it's so clean.

Really, I'm fond of a variety of sound signatures provided they aren't offensively harsh or muddy to my ears. I "get" that there are different headphones out there to satisfy different tastes. However pointing to the former Denon line as indicative of a supposed house sound of Fostex isn't really accurate.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #269 of 3,438
Quote:

I was actually speaking about industry trends in general, hence my citing the Sennheiser IE800.

The majority of headphones released by Foster / Fostex over the years aren't super bassy, actually. The Denon line was voiced to Denon's specifications, and they've continued the trend with whoever their new OEM is, only taken to a new level of overbearing. That's precisely why I'm not "looking" at Denon. The TH900 on the other hand has a definite bass emphasis, but it's not bloated. There's a big difference: the bass doesn't swallow up the midrange because it's clean and largely free of bad harmonic distortion. It's still a bit too emphasized for my liking, but it can be EQ'd easily because it's so clean.

Really, I'm fond of a variety of sound signatures provided they aren't offensively harsh or muddy to my ears. I "get" that there are different headphones out there to satisfy different tastes. However pointing to the former Denon line as indicative of a supposed house sound of Fostex isn't really accurate.

I have not heard the TH900 but I have heard the Denons and also other fostex drivers such as the CAL! and they all seem to be very similar sound signature eg. V shaped with exagerated bass and treble. Anyway I have not tried the TH900 so maybe they are different although most people say it sounds like a refined D7000 from what I have read.... Which would again indicate it has a V shape with exagerated bass and treble. eg. Fostex = V shaped with exagerated bass and treble.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #270 of 3,438
For people expecting the 600 to sound like the 900, there's one reason why I never thought they would.....the cups. I always thought the 600 would be to the 900 what the d2000 are to the 5000/7000. Just going from plastic to wood cups does change the sound a good bit. Just changing the cups on the d2000 essentially makes them a d5000(yes I've compared both), the difference in stock cables between them doesn't change the sound nearly as much as the cups do. This is also one of the reasons why I am so intrigued by the th600. Mark Lawton is selling an upgraded cup package for the th900, but to me that's pointless when the cups of the th900 are one of the things that makes them so appealing to some and carries a premium on their own.

But the upgraded cup package does make a lot more sense for the th600. That would still bring in the total price several hundreds less than a pair of th900. And if Mark's cups really are an upgrade to the stock th900 cups "sonically", then it just "might" push them pass or at least on par with a stock th900. But again, this is assuming the th600 drivers are at least 95% capable as the th900 drivers. That could be a potential have your cake and eat it to with a pair of "la600" as I actually like the look of Mark's cups better than the th900 cups. And given his cups are deeper than the th900 cups, should give them a better sound stage at least. But we'll have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back