Fostex T60RP
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #616 of 1,451
no damping factor spec, reliability issues, noisy, you get what you pay for.

it seems to me that you view pro audio use as a negative and in most cases this is not right.

I am trying to convey a message here which is "There are Pros, MusicPhiles and Audiofools, there are no AudioPhiles just GreatLookingPhiles".
ie Fostex th900 vs Fostex t50 RP for greatlooking vs Pro/MusicPhile.

Probably could ask the manufacture for a dampening factor spec as for reliability that is all debatable because I have owned a mesa brand new with issues straight of the box I come from a musician background. As for noisy what exactly would tell me that? the THD? Also I'm not on the whole china hate bandwagon considering everything in all our computers is built and made in china so I have had no reliability issues there why would I have issues in other electronics. Provided they have quality control and a good return and good warranty I could care less the origin of any device. I'm looking for the cheapest but have ample enough power to fully use the T60RP I currently use a Sound Blaster AE-5 as an AMP/DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #617 of 1,451
Just got these yesterday and they are wonderful!

I am very happy with the stock t60RP sound, guitars in particular sound amazing.

I am using them with the Burson Fun amplifier and its an amazing combo, detailed, dynamic and the clarity is outstanding. This is the clearest and cleanest sounding audio setup I have ever used.

I was using Sennheiser HD 650/58x and they actually sound a bit muddy compared to the t60RP, even in the mids which are usually said to be Sennheisers strength. Really surprised by that, did not expect this much of an improvement in the mids.

The T60s female vocals really wowed me as to me they give the perfect balance between detail/energy and not being fatiguing or annoying.

They are noticeably less warm with male vocals compared to the 650, male voices sound more airy and less bassy, yet it still manages to make rhythm guitars sound outstanding.

Imaging is absolutely incredible, I can actually hear how far people are from the microphone in podcasts I listen to now, with the 650/58x it sounded like they were speaking right into my ear. I was quite taken aback by it at first, a lot of :"This is what they actually sounded like this the whole time!?" was uttered.

My only complaint really is that hte sub-bass extention is still mediocre, though a large improvement over stock t50rp. On my set it only goes down to about 34hz before it starts rolling off hard, dropping to almost nothing by24hz.

It does seem to take EQ well in that region though.
The stock pads are also a little uncomfortable after long sessions, but I wear glasses so milage may very on that.

I ordered some ZMF proteins and the mayflower baffle to see if I preferred that sound, but honestly stock is going to be hard to beat, I mostly listen to rock and metal and damn the guitars are good on these.

I also got a nice dark brown wood with mine, which I am very happy about it as it looks real nice. No creaking or clicky clacky with my set either.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #618 of 1,451
Fostex rp is the most EQ friendly driver of my used phones. Less to no distortion at all.
After months of modding game, I'm now prefer EQ first before mod. Just mod on some nature that the EQ can't do such as sounstage, speed, resonance etc.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #619 of 1,451
I am trying to convey a message here which is "There are Pros, MusicPhiles and Audiofools, there are no AudioPhiles just GreatLookingPhiles".
ie Fostex th900 vs Fostex t50 RP for greatlooking vs Pro/MusicPhile.

There are so many GreatLookingPhiles around my local audio forum. Especially the CablePhiles.
I know nothing about cable too. However I just think, if cable as a wider faster highway of electrons. How we solve those street and lane? There are hundreds of internal cords, pcb circuits, solder points and plugs...

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #620 of 1,451
Fostex rp is the most EQ friendly driver of my used phones. Less to no distortion at all.
After months of modding game, I'm now prefer EQ first before mod. Just mod on some nature that the EQ can't do such as sounstage, speed, resonance etc.

Exactly you just added one more headphone quality criterion, namely the
ability to respond well to DSP's (EQ's are one of many DSP's).

There are of course excellent free DSP's for soundstage, transient response, multi-band compressors, time domain compressors etc. and authorized simulators of most of the analog hardware legendary mixing and mastering console components of the past with that magic analog
sound.

RP (Reference Phase) refers to the proprietary Fostex technology used to preserve phase the same way we want flat frequency response. This is why you can retain timbre while EQing.
Frequency is only one of the two parameters in the Fourier Transform, Phase is the other one and it is very important with electrostatic and orthodynamic phones that are much faster than dynamics.

You will need a host program to serve the plugins for the DSP's. JRiver is an excellent host for VST plugins. Start with VST plugins from "Coco's", "Variety of Sound", "TDM", "Accustica", "VLDG" "Proximity" and "Audio Assault" as shown in the picture below.

VST PLUGINS.png

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #621 of 1,451
There are so many GreatLookingPhiles around my local audio forum. Especially the CablePhiles.
I know nothing about cable too. However I just think, if cable as a wider faster highway of electrons. How we solve those street and lane? There are hundreds of internal cords, pcb circuits, solder points and plugs...

If you are asking me if I would spent even a single dime to upgrade the stock cable, the answer is no.

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #623 of 1,451
RP (Reference Phase) refers to the proprietary Fostex technology used to preserve phase the same way we want flat frequency response. This is why you can retain timbre while EQing.
Frequency is only one of the two parameters in the Fourier Transform, Phase is the other one and it is very important with electrostatic and orthodynamic phones that are much faster than dynamics.
Reference Phase is it the same terms as Regular Phase? Because I remember Fostex claimed RP as Regular Phase.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #627 of 1,451
Happy to see those new toys.
I will definitely play them somedays.

If your computer is an i7 or equivalent you can have them all and a few more not shown in the picture, going at the same
time and still retain timbre with the RP drivers. If you can only try one try the 3 free Acustica demo's. Acustica is an Italian
company currently leads the way with their software emulation of legendary 60-70's consoles in Abbey Road recording studios.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #629 of 1,451
So, are they the same thing?
What you stated the nature of Reference Phase also can apply on these RP driver?

yes, it is fostex nomenclature for flat phase response meaning that the driver can move back and forth
fast enough to follow every minor and major change in signal strength, never missing a turn no matter how
small or how large and always in sync as a fine tip pen writing on top of the original signal graph and staying
indistinguishable from the original. Sony has also been marketing this in their new Walkmans although
they have been employing this ever since they came up with the S-master amp. Sony also is using it on their
TV's in series 8 and 9 models and in their dac Sony-pha3.

20180418_025838_HDR.jpg

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #630 of 1,451
yes, it is fostex nomenclature for flat phase response meaning that the driver can move back and forth
fast enough to follow every minor and major change in signal strength, never missing a turn no matter how
small or how large and always in sync as a fine tip pen writing on top of the original signal graph and staying
indistinguishable from the original.

Thank you so much for this clear description. Now I have a picture of what RP is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back