Fostex T60RP
Jul 27, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #586 of 1,450
Seriously? Not even Beyer DT 1770? Or Denon/Fostex D7200?

Yes, and not even the Fostex TX-900 that has a more powerful magnet than the Dennon 7000. If the amp has a high damping factor it delivers highly controlled bass slam and in the case of ortho's it transforms them to bass killers while retaining mids and highs. The average heaphone amp has a damping factor of 50 (plenty for the fostex and Dennon) but a professional live concert amp has 500. The benefit to Fostex and Dennon is minimal but to ortho's is amazing and totally destroys any dynamic or electrostatic phone I ever heard.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #588 of 1,450
Yes, and not even the Fostex TX-900 that has a more powerful magnet than the Dennon 7000. If the amp has a high damping factor it delivers highly controlled bass slam and in the case of ortho's it transforms them to bass killers while retaining mids and highs. The average heaphone amp has a damping factor of 50 (plenty for the fostex and Dennon) but a professional live concert amp has 500. The benefit to Fostex and Dennon is minimal but to ortho's is amazing and totally destroys any dynamic or electrostatic phone I ever heard.
Hi kintsaki may I know how the bit their pants going?

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #589 of 1,450
It would decrease efficiency in theory, driver has to push more air around.
I don't think so. Air is everywhere no matter vents sealed or not. But the air FLOW will affected by the pressure increase.
Use a thin pipe(narrow air way) to blow up a balloon will decrease the efficiency.
When more vents closed(narrow air way), the driver need more power to push the air in-out the vents.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #590 of 1,450
Hi kintsaki may I know how the bit their pants going?

I was out of internet in my summer home the last ten days. As I was just now reading the thread I noticed you all have made significant progress and I learned a lot from your experimentation.

I really like this thread and all the participants in it and their contributions. There are some differences of opinions here and there
but they are mostly a matter of preferences.

15 years ago when I joined Head-fi there was basically Grado, Sennheiser, AKG and Etymotics. Almost all of us then were aware of the 4 basic categories of signatures and each one of us had his own preference. There was also Stax but very few had them because of the requirement for a dedicated amp. I started as a Grado man, moved to Etymotics and just when I bought the Omega2 Stax flagship Dennon came out with the 2000. I fell in love with them and left the Stax collecting dust. Then I was out for 5 years due to my bipolar condition and came back with the Orthodynamics. I got them all and concluded that only the RP are for me even if they are inexpensive.

I was just going to ask you for a link to a description of your T20 mod. I started with a T20 and loved it and I agree with all your
findings.

I have encountered a number of blocks in my trip with the "beattheirpants" that will delay my implementation. I am leaving in Greece and it is not easy to find tools and technicians with that are willing to try new things these days. In fact I will
change my road map and build 3D printed prototypes to do the experimentation before building the final all wood units.

where the sun rises.jpg

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #591 of 1,450
stupid question here but which side of the mayflower baffle side go inside the gray side(black side visible) or the black side(gray side viisible)

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #593 of 1,450
I had this exact question and when I emailed Tyler, he said "light side is facing out".
ty for the info,well through trying both side i evenually settle with light side facing out

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #594 of 1,450
ty for the info,well through trying both side i evenually settle with light side facing out

My pleasure. Yeah it was a bit confusing for me too, I looked at the mod video they have on YouTube and you can sort of see that it's the light side facing out as well but I sort of second-guessed myself as the resolution in the video isn't that great so you can't see it very clearly.

I as well did some testing, and I did kind of like the foam side out at first, but after some critical listening, I felt that it made the sound a little muddy and lacking in bass. Light side out definitely makes more sense to my ears.

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #595 of 1,450
I was just going to ask you for a link to a description of your T20 mod.

Sorry that I didn't have any link of description.
Here is a brief photo description. Hope it's not a hijack of this T60 post.

My first T20 mod basically is a DBV#3 with a different treble reflector.
Cup damping similar as this: (T20 didn't have the centre pole plastic cover. I sealed them myself, and also seal the air leak gap on the 3.5mm socket)
1806281625ca3fa0877c38b636.jpg

1gm of fiber tissue on each cup, instead of cotton. Cotton sound too hot and "trapped" for me.
1806281632973b8cb258d58147.jpg

I tried different materials and size of treble reflector. Finally stay with this:
8100819_thumb.jpg

Masking tape on the outside cup vents, with 7 holes by ballpen.
D7000 clone pads from China (love D7000 pads sound more then the AR-H1, but not the comfort) .
Replaced a 3.5mm TRRS balance socket. That's all.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #596 of 1,450
@Artyouth - Did you fully cover up the bass ports? How's it sound?

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #598 of 1,450

not to challenge your authority sir but doesn't th900 have 1.5 tesla, i think d7000 is not even 1 tesla. Can you expand. thanks but in laymans terms, i know you have a phD iN EE

Jul 29, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #599 of 1,450
@Artyouth - Sorry, the T20 cups, looks as though you've completed covered the bass ports/vents? How's the T20's sound after your mod?

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #600 of 1,450
@Artyouth - Sorry, the T20 cups, looks as though you've completed covered the bass ports/vents? How's the T20's sound after your mod?
I did fully cover the T20 cup vents from outside by masking tape. But my recent stable mod there are 7 holes on the masking tape.
Fully sealed the cup vents will give me "Technically" better sound. All range sharpen, expense of a little smaller soundstage and midbass quantity. However fully cover also lost the immersive atmosphere that I love most. 7 holes now is what I want.
Some songs I prefer 9 or 5 holes. It's easy to adjust the holes number by additional masking tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back