Fostex T60RP
Jul 20, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #556 of 1,449
^
giphy.gif

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #557 of 1,449
I have the Mad Dog 3.2, which is darker but still smooth and balanced. I don't have the Nighthawk anymore. It was beautifully made and super comfortable but I had a love/hate relationship with it regarding its sound - the hate part won unfortunately, as it just sounded like listening through pillows over my ears after a while.

The T60 is nice looking and well put together. I've just never heard a headphone creak this much. I am not that picky about such things generally, but this was intolerable. HungryPanda had the same experience.

Creaking notwithstanding, how did the two compare soundwise? My first pair of real headphones was a pair of Mad Dog 3.2 and I wish I still had them now that my tastes are a bit more mature. The T60 seems like a decent alternative (or at least a starting point for some modding).

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #561 of 1,449
The t60rp are a bit dry out of the box. You have to mod them a bit like clos few inner vents and your're done.
I agree. Stock T60 sounds quite metalic on me. Personally I like cold sound then warm, but metal cold is a little dry. I prefer liquid cold more.

Stock pads with 2 baffle vents taped can add some upper bass warmth. That's an improvment but honestly the sound still not my taste. I'm really considering to sell them. Until I got the d7000 pads and mouse pad rings mod with 6 vents blocked. Now I'm very satify the recent T60. She finally can sit on the same hanger with my T20 mod.

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #562 of 1,449
Pulled out some old favorites today to do some quick comparisons. One of these went back into their box very quickly ... the more expensive pair :)

Edit: Forgot to mention this but the Senn's are quieter without touching the volume knob :thinking:

9938245_l.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #564 of 1,449
The T60-RP and the naked parade of granularity:

After lurking here for quiet some time, recent incidents have compelled me to register and write this up.

So I was out searching a pair of planars to complement my Hd650s. I'm trying to make a choice between Audeze or Focal models.. until I read this thread and sensed overall mixed reviews. After kintsaki's insightful comments and Zeos's intreguing video, I thought it would be a good idea to try the T60RP out for myself - I could always return them you know. So when Amazon got their new stock I pulled the trigger. These wooden beauties arrived last week.

Scenario 1: I have a Audioengine D1 DAC feeding into an Asgard2. I plug in the T60RP and my heart sank.. incredible imaging but piercing spikes and no bass. Classic Rock sounds super intimate and vocals are soul moving. I mostly listen to Metal and these cans sounded unfulfilling to my ears.. and EDM was no joy either. Perhaps it was my ears being used too much to the Hd650 sound. I was at that time contemplating if this investment was worth making just to listen to a few limited types of genres. The imaging was no doubt jaw-dropping but still fatiguing to my ears. I have inserted a thin sheet of paper napkins to control the spikes in upper frequencies. Mostly these cans are at the verge of going back.

Scenario 2: Shiit audio decided to finally send in my back-ordered Bifrost Multibit, yep that controversial Bimby. I figured I already had a great sounding sigma-delta and a galvanic isolating R2R wouldn't be a bad addition.. besides it would fit in nicely with my Asgard2- an amp I wouldn’t exchange for anything else.
Plug in the T60RP (Bimby->Asgard2) and What is going on!! Has to be the goddamn whisky! I unexpectedly witnessed a dramatic opening up of the soundstage - like an open back can, the ear piercing spikes are mellowed down - still there but not piercing anymore, every strum of the guitars, the vocal irregularities, every single hit on the snare and clink on the high hat and cymbals- are all being paraded Live and naked before me- with brutal granularity and mind-boggling imaging! I have not heard Metal sound so good and lively before. Also there is significant increase in Bass quality and quantity- it’s pulsating, tight and clean - this should only become better with modding. EDM too sounds good now- needs more subs though. I also hear better instrument separation now. By god it sounds so intimate. Chris Cornell made me weep the other day and Carcass and Maiden and Amon Amarth all have decided to play live in my room- on my command.

I’m totally mind blown at this point. And yeah it’s still on stock pads and unbalanced stock cables. I'll soon go for the recommended mods and get that bass slam.

I have been ABing different combination, with my limited knowledge and experience, for the past few days- and have concluded that the T60RP is indeed revealing and super sensitive to your setup.. no wonder everyone is having different experiences. IMHO the D1 (sigma-delta) perhaps makes them sound bright but the Bifrost (R2R) is clearly doing something different and the result is starkly evident... but then again Dacs are not supposed to matter? All I know it’s for real.

Though I concede that my impression is relative and limited to my setup, I think I have just tripped on an incredible pairing. I am looking out for any counter opinion from any of fellow head-fiers out there who have tried a similar pairing. Till then I will continue to rock with these wooden ninjas and hell yes they are staying with me for a very long time to come. They are such a good compliment to the HD650s- like night & day.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #565 of 1,449
The T60-RP and the naked parade of granularity:

After lurking here for quiet some time, recent incidents have compelled me to register and write this up.

So I was out searching a pair of planars to complement my Hd650s. I'm trying to make a choice between Audeze or Focal models.. until I read this thread and sensed overall mixed reviews. After kintsaki's insightful comments and Zeos's intreguing video, I thought it would be a good idea to try the T60RP out for myself - I could always return them you know. So when Amazon got their new stock I pulled the trigger. These wooden beauties arrived last week.

Scenario 1: I have a Audioengine D1 DAC feeding into an Asgard2. I plug in the T60RP and my heart sank.. incredible imaging but piercing spikes and no bass. Classic Rock sounds super intimate and vocals are soul moving. I mostly listen to Metal and these cans sounded unfulfilling to my ears.. and EDM was no joy either. Perhaps it was my ears being used too much to the Hd650 sound. I was at that time contemplating if this investment was worth making just to listen to a few limited types of genres. The imaging was no doubt jaw-dropping but still fatiguing to my ears. I have inserted a thin sheet of paper napkins to control the spikes in upper frequencies. Mostly these cans are at the verge of going back.

Scenario 2: Shiit audio decided to finally send in my back-ordered Bifrost Multibit, yep that controversial Bimby. I figured I already had a great sounding sigma-delta and a galvanic isolating R2R wouldn't be a bad addition.. besides it would fit in nicely with my Asgard2- an amp I wouldn’t exchange for anything else.
Plug in the T60RP (Bimby->Asgard2) and What is going on!! Has to be the goddamn whisky! I unexpectedly witnessed a dramatic opening up of the soundstage - like an open back can, the ear piercing spikes are mellowed down - still there but not piercing anymore, every strum of the guitars, the vocal irregularities, every single hit on the snare and clink on the high hat and cymbals- are all being paraded Live and naked before me- with brutal granularity and mind-boggling imaging! I have not heard Metal sound so good and lively before. Also there is significant increase in Bass quality and quantity- it’s pulsating, tight and clean - this should only become better with modding. EDM too sounds good now- needs more subs though. I also hear better instrument separation now. By god it sounds so intimate. Chris Cornell made me weep the other day and Carcass and Maiden and Amon Amarth all have decided to play live in my room- on my command.

I’m totally mind blown at this point. And yeah it’s still on stock pads and unbalanced stock cables. I'll soon go for the recommended mods and get that bass slam.

I have been ABing different combination, with my limited knowledge and experience, for the past few days- and have concluded that the T60RP is indeed revealing and super sensitive to your setup.. no wonder everyone is having different experiences. IMHO the D1 (sigma-delta) perhaps makes them sound bright but the Bifrost (R2R) is clearly doing something different and the result is starkly evident... but then again Dacs are not supposed to matter? All I know it’s for real.

Though I concede that my impression is relative and limited to my setup, I think I have just tripped on an incredible pairing. I am looking out for any counter opinion from any of fellow head-fiers out there who have tried a similar pairing. Till then I will continue to rock with these wooden ninjas and hell yes they are staying with me for a very long time to come. They are such a good compliment to the HD650s- like night & day.

Wow. This explains so much.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #567 of 1,449
Interest check on a memory foam lambskin version of the Oval style pad for these? If there is enough interest I can order them in bulk @ $40-45 a pair can do $40 if I have over 5.

They look similar to other pads but I am intrigued to know what memory foam is like on this design.

mmexport1532071098762.jpg mmexport1532071103468.jpg mmexport1532071113597.jpg mmexport1532071118375.jpg mmexport1532071124023.jpg mmexport1532071135151.jpg mmexport1532071139559.jpg mmexport1532071143700.jpg

Attachments

• mmexport1532071109246.jpg
    mmexport1532071109246.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #568 of 1,449
Oh and the Audio-gd NFB.11 pairs so well with both the T50/60RP it is almost silly good. So much detail, depth and volume especially the low end, it even sounded good before i added it to equalizer APO.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #569 of 1,449
I was glad to see at the London CanJam this week the Fostex headphones were paired with the Fostex HPA4BL amp and that is my desk setup as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back