Fostex T60RP
Jul 29, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #601 of 1,451
@Artyouth - Good stuff, yeah...I've had similar experience when sealing off the vents. If you get a chance, then try the hybrid pads, I like 'em more than all leather as it gives me a bit more airiness but can up the treble a bit too.

On another note, any T60rp users still happy with their purchase? Argon's and ZMF are not an option for me, tempted to grab the T60's and call it a day!

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #604 of 1,451
@Artyouth - Tell me about...LoL!!! :D

@HungryPanda - Thought you would be panda, how's the wood keeping up? What genre's of music you use with the T60's? I personally think the Fostex Planar are pretty damn diverse but do you find the T60's pair with certain music from your collection better than others?

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #605 of 1,451
@Artyouth - Good stuff, yeah...I've had similar experience when sealing off the vents. If you get a chance, then try the hybrid pads, I like 'em more than all leather as it gives me a bit more airiness but can up the treble a bit too.

On another note, any T60rp users still happy with their purchase? Argon's and ZMF are not an option for me, tempted to grab the T60's and call it a day!

The main reason I wanted the Classics was due to the channel balancing, tuning and upgraded jack. Top this off with the ZMF Pads & Headband ... Zach has basically fixed everything wrong with the mk3 sets.

I jumped on these because it accomplished most of those traits but with wooden cups, couldn't be happier.

Jul 29, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #607 of 1,451
@Zimtron - Yeah, I hear ya on the small tweaks to the T60's, good riddance to the old locking-jack system and the wood finish alone is a head-turner. Amazing how Fostex kept the classic cup shapes but now in wood!

You still rocking the stock pads @HungryPanda?

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #609 of 1,451
not to challenge your authority sir but doesn't th900 have 1.5 tesla, i think d7000 is not even 1 tesla. Can you expand. thanks but in laymans terms, i know you have a phD iN EE

Yes that is exactly right the th-900 which I own (along with the Dennon) has a much more powerful magnet than the Dennon, but any of the RP (Fostex T20 through T60) blows both Denon and TH900 out of the water when driven by the Crown 1001 XTi 2 which pumps 36 Watts RMS into 50 OHMS whereas the th900 only gets 0.3 Watts in balanced mode. In other words one has a powerful magnet but the other has a powerful amplifier (100 times more powerful it will deliver 250 into 8ohms and 750 into 2 ohms it is used in live concerts to drive pro speakers and it is also used by enthusiasts in a moded version to drive electrostatics meaning it is dead silent ). The th900 breaks up with heavy distortion being a dynamic driver and in addition despite the state of the art material used it is still too slow and cannot convey the natural timbre of voices and instruments nor can it handle heavily congested parts or image precisely as the RP's do. The XTi is around 500$ and the T60 300$ for a total of 800$ versus 1500$ for the th900. They are both made by Fostex and they both focus on music and filter out "shrill and shout" but they target different markets -audiophiles versus professionals and musicphiles.

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #610 of 1,451
Yes that is exactly right the th-900 which I own (along with the Dennon) has a much more powerful magnet than the Dennon, but any of the RP (Fostex T20 through T60) blows both Denon and TH900 out of the water when driven by the Crown 1001 XTi 2 which pumps 36 Watts RMS into 50 OHMS whereas the th900 only gets 0.3 Watts in balanced mode. In other words one has a powerful magnet but the other has a powerful amplifier (100 times more powerful it will deliver 250 into 8ohms and 750 into 2 ohms it is used in live concerts to drive pro speakers and it is also used by enthusiasts in a moded version to drive electrostatics meaning it is dead silent ). The th900 breaks up with heavy distortion being a dynamic driver and in addition despite the state of the art material used it is still too slow and cannot convey the natural timbre of voices and instruments nor can it handle heavily congested parts or image precisely as the RP's do. The XTi is around 500$ and the T60 300$ for a total of 800$ versus 1500$ for the th900. They are both made by Fostex and they both focus on music and filter out "shrill and shout" but they target different markets -audiophiles versus professionals and musicphiles.
I know nothing about electronic so would you give me some advise?
I just saw a Crown xli1500 on my local second-hand market. Seems it's also quite powerful(450W@4ohm).
https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xli-1500

Here is a stupid question, how to plug my Fostex to this amp? Speaker out to phone jack?

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #613 of 1,451
adapter.jpg
adapter.jpg
I know nothing about electronic so would you give me some advise?
I just saw a Crown xli1500 on my local second-hand market. Seems it's also quite powerful(450W@4ohm).
https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xli-1500

Here is a stupid question, how to plug my Fostex to this amp? Speaker out to phone jack?

the xli (old xls series) has an advantage, it includes internally a switchable circuit that allows them to be driven by
consumer sources (dac/amps, pre-amps) the xti does not have this and it costs around 100 to 150 $ to add an
external one. Zeos used the xls to drive the 18" sub woofer he built recently. Power is the same but not
rated down to 2 ohms (this is a disadvantage). All comments here with regards to driving the phones.

The xti has a damping factor of 500 whereas the xli has only 200 still much better than the 50 for most audiophile amps.
The xti also has a fully adjustable DSP (8 band parametric and para-graphic equalizer with adjustable center
frequency, frequency band width range, Q factor and attenuation for each band and presets for Harman
Response curve for various speakers and phones, a limiter, a compressor, a delay and cross overs. All adjustable
by Harman software for the desktop connected via USB cable from amp to computer.

If you are on a budget and can get the dealer to offer you a 6 month warranty go for it, otherwise the
xti with all its DSP's and better than 500 damping factor works wonders.

to connect the phones to the speaker terminals you need to make one of these,
you will need a female TRS 5.25 connector and speaker cable and 4 banana plugs
put a piece of tape on the right channel side.

adapter.jpg

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #614 of 1,451

the xli (old xls series) has an advantage, it includes internally a switchable circuit that allows them to be driven by
consumer sources (dac/amps, pre-amps) the xti does not have this and it costs around 100 to 150 $ to add an
external one. Zeos used the xls to drive the 18" sub woofer he built recently. Power is the same but not
rated down to 2 ohms (this is a disadvantage). All comments here with regards to driving the phones.

The xti has a damping factor of 500 whereas the xli has only 200 still much better than the 50 for most audiophile amps.
The xti also has a fully adjustable DSP (8 band parametric and para-graphic equalizer with adjustable center
frequency, frequency band width range, Q factor and attenuation for each band and presets for Harman
Response curve for various speakers and phones, a limiter, a compressor, a delay and cross overs. All adjustable
by Harman software for the desktop connected via USB cable from amp to computer.

If you are on a budget and can get the dealer to offer you a 6 month warranty go for it, otherwise the
xti with all its DSP's and better than 500 damping factor works wonders.

to connect the phones to the speaker terminals you need to make one of these,
you will need a female TRS 5.25 connector and speaker cable and 4 banana plugs
put a piece of tape on the right channel side.

Thanks for the detail reply.
As I said I know nothing about electronic. Normally I should not buy something that not familiar with. But follow your post I found there are a Crown xli around US100. Because the cheap price I think it's not too bad to try some POWER!

Months ago I made a cable( 4 banana plugs to 3.5 TRRS male) to directly plug the T20 into my Creek4140, for a kind of fun experiment.
However what I remember was just an unacceptable background noise. And yes I really know nothing about electronic.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #615 of 1,451
Since the Crown 1001 XTi 2 works I would suppose something like this would work to. Much more affordable without all the bells and whistles that probably have more application with pro audio use than headphones.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NX1000--behringer-nx1000-power-amplifier

no damping factor spec, reliability issues, noisy, you get what you pay for.

it seems to me that you view pro audio use as a negative and in most cases this is not right.

I am trying to convey a message here which is "There are Pros, MusicPhiles and Audiofools, there are no AudioPhiles just GreatLookingPhiles".
ie Fostex th900 vs Fostex t50 RP for greatlooking vs Pro/MusicPhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back