Fostex T60RP
Jul 9, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #482 of 1,451
woman-14gzKrFkVr0OK4

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #485 of 1,451
I would not be surprised do you have a new T20? How do you measure the 4db difference?
T20 Mk2. I just bought 2 of these months ago. I think it is the old stock kept by the agent.
Volume digit show on my dac. I have to up 4db to get the same loudness on T60.
edit: actually my dac is a dac-amp. Topping DX7.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #486 of 1,451
So just to clarify, were your previous impressions expressed regarding the T60 vs T40 include the mods you just mentioned?
I have 2pcs of T20 Mk2. Not your T40 Mk3.
Yes my previous impressions was between the T60 and the modded T20.
My another unmodded T20 sounds totally unacceptable.
And I tried a T50 Mk3 at shop, Mk3 have much more balance sounding then Mk2.

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #487 of 1,451
9938190_l.jpg

Alright, I didn't realize it came with a 1/4" cable as well ... much better running through my amp.

The treble is making my ears bleed ... I dont expect this to change over time but its definitely fatiguing.

Everything sounds great, to me it's relaxed and effortless yet still detailed.

The ZMF pads must change it a good bit and the lambskins would be less bright. I am usually treble sensitive but with the proteins it is great.

Do you use equalizer APO?

EDIT: the stock headband is terra bad, the modhouse strap is a must!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #488 of 1,451
I had to use a dremel to widen the hole as the custom trrs connectors were too wide.

Nail-biting stuff but got it done successfully. Might have been a few mm's.

XsPFDII.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #489 of 1,451
Everything sounds great, to me it's relaxed and effortless yet still detailed.

The ZMF pads must change it a good bit and the lambskins would be less bright. I am usually treble sensitive but with the proteins it is great.

Do you use equalizer APO?

EDIT: the stock headband is terra bad, the modhouse strap is a must!

No I do not use equalizers, I personally feel its a silly concept for headphones.

Stock headband is comfortable to me, mountains above the stock one on the T40s.

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #490 of 1,451
Regarding the squeak, mine are really bad like the Panda's, it seems like the first batch had the biggest problem. If you get a bad one just return it and get a T40 mk3 instead! :ksc75smile:

I am loving my T40 and still much prefer it to the T60. I reckon that it keeps improving with burn-in. Having said that I am mainly using a DAP, so opinions will vary!

I have experimented more and I think that the angled pads on the T60 messes up the sound for me even though the angle gives the impression of more detail and airiness but at the expense of presence and natural timbre, etc.

I have also used the T60 cable on the T40 but I prefer the stock T40 cable as it gives more body to the sound.

My intention now is to get some shallow (straight) pads (a bit thicker than the stock T40 pads) but with proper leather that do not sweat the ears, any suggestions?

Are you listening to your T40RP MK3 completely stock or did you mod it in any way?

I have the T50RP MK3 and T20RP MK3, but the T40RP MK3 seems to get the least amount of love and almost no one talks about it... and you're saying that a stock T40RP MK3 is better to your ears than the T60RP?

Just wanting to clarify that before I (possibly) buy a T40. :D

EDIT: And where did you buy your T40? I'm wondering if there has been a production change lately...

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #491 of 1,451
Are you listening to your T40RP MK3 completely stock or did you mod it in any way?

I have the T50RP MK3 and T20RP MK3, but the T40RP MK3 seems to get the least amount of love and almost no one talks about it... and you're saying that a stock T40RP MK3 is better to your ears than the T60RP?

EDIT: And where did you buy your T40? I'm wondering if there has been a production change lately...

My opinion is basically the polar opposite FWIW, buy both and let us know what you think.

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #492 of 1,451

I got mine from Amazon UK, which in this case was sold by DJ & Studio (London based) but dispatched by Amazon.

In a previous post I mentioned the driver details but I have no idea if they are all the same between the models and when the upgrade of driver (if any occurred).

I have not done any internal mods yet but have experimented with other pads and so far all have had a negative effect except for the T60 pads which on some occasions were better than the T40 pads.

I am as sure (as I can be) that the T60 pads (which are angled) are not real leather and if they are, they are heavily treated with a coating that makes them sweat as much or more than the T40 pads.

The T60 angled pads do change the sound and if a person is sensitive to treble, the closeness of the ear to the driver on the T40 pads - could be a problem for them.

There is no need to buy the T40 if you already have the T20, just cover up the vent slots (even on the outside) like Kintsaki has mentioned. The question is whether you have the new driver and you can easily look and see - to save yourself the bother of buying more gear.

The Billion potato question is whether people can hear the difference between the wood versus the plastic cups (compared with the same pads, foam baffle ring, vent option and cable), now there is a challenge!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #493 of 1,451
Real leather have pore, and suede at back.
Some high grade artificial leather may add smell and pressed pore. But not the suede back.

The difference of T20 between T40/50 not just the vents cover material. T20 have no plastic cover on the centre pole of the cup. That area also will cause air leak, like those vents does.

And I guess that plastic cover MAY acts as a treble reflector also.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #494 of 1,451
I got mine from Amazon UK, which in this case was sold by DJ & Studio (London based) but dispatched by Amazon.

In a previous post I mentioned the driver details but I have no idea if they are all the same between the models and when the upgrade of driver (if any occurred).

I have not done any internal mods yet but have experimented with other pads and so far all have had a negative effect except for the T60 pads which on some occasions were better than the T40 pads.

I am as sure (as I can be) that the T60 pads (which are angled) are not real leather and if they are, they are heavily treated with a coating that makes them sweat as much or more than the T40 pads.

The T60 angled pads do change the sound and if a person is sensitive to treble, the closeness of the ear to the driver on the T40 pads - could be a problem for them.

There is no need to buy the T40 if you already have the T20, just cover up the vent slots (even on the outside) like Kintsaki has mentioned. The question is whether you have the new driver and you can easily look and see - to save yourself the bother of buying more gear.

The Billion potato question is whether people can hear the difference between the wood versus the plastic cups (compared with the same pads, foam baffle ring, vent option and cable), now there is a challenge!

I'll have Alpha pads and ZMF lambskins to test soon, Protein ZMF is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back