Fostex T60RP
Jul 13, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #511 of 1,450
Speaking of LCD's the LCD-2C closed, Major HiFi's review peaked my interest.

I'm not sure if you are referring to their video review, if you are ... that person needs to find another occupation.

Too many analogies with no meaning, he even had the cans sitting way off on his head during the review ... very difficult to take serious.

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #512 of 1,450
I'm not sure if you are referring to their video review, if you are ... that person needs to find another occupation.

Too many analogies with no meaning, he even had the cans sitting way off on his head during the review ... very difficult to take serious.

Mmm let me inspect closer, I skimmed through it in work.

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #513 of 1,450
I tried the 2 ports closed, can't say I like it. Bass felt uncontrolled and I screwed up the glue on the felt, not a happy camper. Will repair it but I think pads and baffle ring are enough.

Jul 15, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #514 of 1,450
Just made my own 5ft mogami trrs balanced cable.

LwKmoE5.jpg

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #515 of 1,450
For some reason none of the dealers in my area are selling the extra cables to run it balanced. So I was trying to purchase a custom made cable, but had a hard time explaining what I need. I mean it is a 4 pole, 3.5mm jack, right? With whatever connection I need on the other end. That seems to be hard to explain to my cable guy, he argues it is a regular jack and needs to know what is the connector on the inside of the headphone (I'm probably having a hard time explaining it too :) )
I assume it is crutial to have 4 poles? Without messing with the headphone itself of course.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #516 of 1,450
For some reason none of the dealers in my area are selling the extra cables to run it balanced. So I was trying to purchase a custom made cable, but had a hard time explaining what I need. I mean it is a 4 pole, 3.5mm jack, right? With whatever connection I need on the other end. That seems to be hard to explain to my cable guy, he argues it is a regular jack and needs to know what is the connector on the inside of the headphone (I'm probably having a hard time explaining it too :) )
I assume it is crutial to have 4 poles? Without messing with the headphone itself of course.

Just show the picture on the post #407 to your cable guy. I made my balance cable exactly same as this connection order and works perfectly.
And you have to mention that the 3.5mm jack it's caliber should not bigger then 8mm.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-t60rp.857690/page-28#post-14341457

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #517 of 1,450
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #519 of 1,450
The bass slam with the ZMF is pretty darn ridiculous but it's tight and controlled. I did add the mayflower baffle ring as recommended here.
The protein ZMF softens up a little after time, I didn't like it at first but now it's nice and supple. GOD DAT SLAM!

3.5mm TRRS to 1/4" would not be balanced, you can use a regular TRS 3.5mm to 1/4" like a v-moda cable as the 2 grounds end up sharing the same connection anyways.
https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Exten...pID=31Q9nWeu-FL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

You could have them use the trrs and just wire it but will be the same as a regular 3.5mm.

I'll be making some TRRS to XLR's in the next few weeks if anyone is interested. Will be about 6ft with paracord.

trrs-diagram1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #520 of 1,450
The bass slam with the ZMF is pretty darn ridiculous but it's tight and controlled. I did add the mayflower baffle ring as recommended here.
The protein ZMF softens up a little after time, I didn't like it at first but now it's nice and supple. GOD DAT SLAM!

3.5mm TRRS to 1/4" would not be balanced, you can use a regular TRS 3.5mm to 1/4" like a v-moda cable as the 2 grounds end up sharing the same connection anyways.
https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Exten...pID=31Q9nWeu-FL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

You could have them use the trrs and just wire it but will be the same as a regular 3.5mm.

I'll be making some TRRS to XLR's in the next few weeks if anyone is interested. Will be about 6ft with paracord.

trrs-diagram1.jpg

Still waiting on my baffles ... ordered on July 1st and they are still not here :frowning2:

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #523 of 1,450
Yep planar have this quality to have smooth mid/trebles and gorgeous bass with low distortion. Personally I can't stand a moving-coil anymore (I have a t50rp and a LCD2.2) .
For the punch of the bass (kick drum mainly), classic headphones might seem to have more of it but it is due to the inertia of the coil so it's mainly distortions that you hear.
Planar on the other hand doesn't have this inertia but if you have a beefy amp it will give you the punch without the high distortion of a moving-coil.
Actually subs without distortion are less audible but more precise and layered.

Seriously? Not even Beyer DT 1770? Or Denon/Fostex D7200?

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #525 of 1,450
Finally !

9938212_l.jpg

Side by side for those who are interested (both Mayflower), I've never seen pictures of them online before. They are much stiffer than the stock ones and have some sort of grey material on the back of the baffle.
From the photo it seems exactly what a normal mouse pad is.
I tried different materials ring but never concern this kind of airtight foam. I think it will block those 8 baffle vents totally. Sounds good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back