Fostex T60RP
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #499 of 1,451
Specially made wide deerskin strap I had made along with Alpha Pads I'm testing. Also have the Mayflower baffle ring.

Wide Fostex strap https://imgur.com/a/wZtG0XK

Will modify the vents now and see can I tune the bass.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #500 of 1,451
Was thinking the same thing today ... I think I found my end game.

Let the modding begin!

Yes ! Gone are the days of me returning from a live concert and having been high-ed up I would sit down on my best rig and try to
continue only to burst into tears realizing the vast difference between my best headphones and the live performance. Thank you
Fostex for greatly reducing the gap.

And yes time for some serious modding with double drivers, accordeon style tail return of the back wave to reinforce bass slam and dynamics and 100 % larger enclosure to make sound like real speakers.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #502 of 1,451
Now your just showing off :)

Even the standard modhouse deerskin strap is great, they totally transform it, comfort level = nicest headphone ever. The stock headband cut into my head and mad the pads seem uncomfortable.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #504 of 1,451
If it's such a great headphone then why all the trouble of modding?

Maybe there is some hidden potential :)

Stock trim these make my past cans look like a joke, HD600, K7XX, EMU-Teak, DT770, HE400i etc.

I've got the mayflower baffle kit coming and if I can improve the comfort even further with some ZMF pads why not?

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #505 of 1,451
They are back in the stock in the US...so might give them a try. My only experience with Fostex was the Massdrop TR-X00 and wasn't impressed at all with it. Everybody raved about the bass, but it was nothing special. It was also too hazy or warm sounding and the thing just sort of flopped on the head, with less than ideal shaped pads.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #506 of 1,451
They are back in the stock in the US...so might give them a try. My only experience with Fostex was the Massdrop TR-X00 and wasn't impressed at all with it. Everybody raved about the bass, but it was nothing special. It was also too hazy or warm sounding and the thing just sort of flopped on the head, with less than ideal shaped pads.

Hi

I never used the stock pads as I love ZMF,Alpha pads etc. so I can recommend getting ZMF lambskins or proteins and modhouse strap (a must) for them if you do. I do have a TH-610 and they are totally different beasts.

Pads: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/zmf-oval-earpads
Head strap: https://www.modhouseaudio.com/fostex-deerskin-suspension-strap/

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #507 of 1,451

Coming from the car audio world its easy to tell the difference between SPL and quality. The typical headphone advocate will be impressed by db levels with the quality being irrelevant ... a certain can owned by Apple as an example.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #508 of 1,451
Been considering the T60RP and the Sundara (which I've tried and found I like it better than the LCD2C or LCDX). The treble and mids seem to disappear in the LCDs. Unless I'm reading the this thread wrong, it seems the T60s are better balanced in that respect, but retain the bass. Am I on the right track with my impressions (sans actual headphones to try of course)?

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #510 of 1,451
Been considering the T60RP and the Sundara (which I've tried and found I like it better than the LCD2C or LCDX). The treble and mids seem to disappear in the LCDs. Unless I'm reading the this thread wrong, it seems the T60s are better balanced in that respect, but retain the bass. Am I on the right track with my impressions (sans actual headphones to try of course)?

Speaking of LCD's the LCD-2C closed, Major HiFi's review peaked my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back