Fostex T60RP
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #406 of 1,451
So on a certain discord where opinions do not get held back, mid and low-fi is bashed into oblivion. One of the moderators who is well used to high end cans said he listened to the t60rp at a meet and said they were very good.
Of course the other hoodlums had to bash it but if he said it's good then that says something. Z also mentioned that Fostex took everything wrong with the T50 and fixed it and is giving all other t50 modders the middle finger.

Now it's just a matter of waiting....

upload_2018-7-4_8-36-41.png

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #407 of 1,451
Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #408 of 1,451
So on a certain discord where opinions do not get held back, mid and low-fi is bashed into oblivion. One of the moderators who is well used to high end cans said he listened to the t60rp at a meet and said they were very good.
Of course the other hoodlums had to bash it but if he said it's good then that says something. Z also mentioned that Fostex took everything wrong with the T50 and fixed it and is giving all other t50 modders the middle finger.

Would love to hear your impression on this. I find the wood really sexy.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #409 of 1,451
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #410 of 1,451
Where did you get the slit covers in the pic? So your saying if I cover two swap the foam ring and I will have the T60RP sound with boosted bass?

Another question, can a regular 3.5mm to 1/4" be used?
It would open up more cable options if not using a balanced amp if possible.

What you see in the picture came from the inside of the T60 and is the screen that makes it semi open. i removed and placed on the outside o piece of self adhesive brown carpet to cover 1.5 slits. I recommend not removing (because of the risk of breaking the solder on the connector to the PCB.
Just cove 1 slit fro the outside or more to increase bass. soundstage will be reduced. The way to increase the sound stage is the XTI or the ring or for a huge upgrade both.

Most 3.5 trs connectors will not fit the female trrs on the t60 side and the wire routing inside may not work, next time i open it i check the routing

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #411 of 1,451
Mmmm shouldn't this fit the T60RP? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-...990162?hash=item1a2fac98d2:g:PD4AAOSwcLxYHavm

Does anyone know if this is the correct pin layout? I assume there is a standard 3.5mm TRRS layout. The cable below is from a Chinese shop on ebay who make top stuff. He is wanting to clarify the pins.

this is the correct industry standard layout it should work
unless Fostex did not follow the standard on the tiny
rerouting box inside which I have not check.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #412 of 1,451
Mmmm shouldn't this fit the T60RP? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-...990162?hash=item1a2fac98d2:g:PD4AAOSwcLxYHavm

Does anyone know if this is the correct pin layout? I assume there is a standard 3.5mm TRRS layout. The cable below is from a Chinese shop on ebay who make top stuff. He is wanting to clarify the pins.

this is the correct industry standard layout it should work
unless Fostex did not follow the standard on the tiny
rerouting box inside which I have not check.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #413 of 1,451

I am not only familiar with 1000$ plus phones I own the **** and I may not be a moderator but I am a very serious
professional that has experience in mixing and mastering for mainstream companies. So as I told you guys they
are not just good they are much better and when driven by the XTI they scale much higher than the others.

As a professor i tell you stop wasting your time with the trivial many and start paying attention to the vital few.
Namely 1)USB signal purification 2)XTI amplifier and 3) 3D printed ring to enlarge the volume enclosure. The pads are important too but you found many that will do and if the alphas are largre
enough for your ears you can keep them too. I get ear lob pain after 2 hours..

I defy you to tell the difference between the stock cable and my 3ft balanced cable made out of pure silver strands. So stay away from cable rolling.

In general you are spending little by little your money instead of saving for a usb 3.0 nano, a 3d printed baffle that would increasing the volume of the enclosure or an XTI. Not to mention you are spending valuable time that you could be enjoying the music.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #414 of 1,451
I am not only familiar with 1000$ plus phones I own the **** and I may not be a moderator but I am a very serious
professional that has experience in mixing and mastering for mainstream companies. So as I told you guys they
are not just good they are much better and when driven by the XTI they scale much higher than the others.

As a professor i tell you stop wasting your time with the trivial many and start paying attention to the vital few.
Namely 1)USB signal purification 2)XTI amplifier and 3) 3D printed ring to enlarge the volume enclosure. The pads are important too but you found many that will do and if the alphas are largre
enough for your ears you can keep them too. I get ear lob pain after 2 hours..

I defy you to tell the difference between the stock cable and my 3ft balanced cable made out of pure silver strands. So stay away from cable rolling.

In general you are spending little by little your money instead of saving for a usb 3.0 nano, a 3d printed baffle that would increasing the volume of the enclosure or an XTI. Not to mention you are spending valuable time that you could be enjoying the music.

Enjoying the music now that is something that a few are forgetting. Well I should have it here for Friday and will have pads for them early this week too.

I thought this mod was kinda nice. http://hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_483.html

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #415 of 1,451
Enjoying the music now that is something that a few are forgetting. Well I should have it here for Friday and will have pads for them early this week too.

I thought this mod was kinda nice. http://hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_483.html

Looks like the rear ports are covered with felt as well, surprised to see no deadening material on the rear of the driver or the cups ...

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #416 of 1,451
Looks like the rear ports are covered with felt as well, surprised to see no deadening material on the rear of the driver or the cups ...

Yep I might buy the Mayflower kit and experiment, I ended up buying some TRRS connectors and mogami cable to make my own 1/4" and XLR cables. Will be fun.

https://www.markertek.com/

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #419 of 1,451
Guys, before I return my squeaky T60 in a few days, I also got a T40 (Mark 3) yesterday and so far I prefer the T40 (which is the closed back version).

I have had a look inside both and the T40 is the only one that has an attempt at some baffle dampening inside. The T40 seems to have the same baffle foam ring as the T20 photo taken by Kintsaki.

I will experiment more in the next few days by changing pads and rings and see if my view changes.

I paid £114 for the T40 and £280 (now £299) for the T60 on Amazon UK.

I am new to the Fostex RP series so any advice or opinion is welcome.

Overall I think that the T60 is decent but its sound is more on the closed back side for me and the T40 is a little more closed in but sounds more engaging, natural and intimate. I also like the benefits of closed backs on many occasions and that is why I am still searching.

If I keep the T40, I would probably change the pads (which are not as bad as I have read) and put real leather pads on it as well as some foam on the headband and possibly some blu tack dampening on the inside of the cups.

Also, does anyone know if the T60 pads are real leather as I am a little doubtful?

I am also a bit skeptical that the wood cups on the T60 make an audible difference other than having natural dampening built it?

Controversial indeed!!!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #420 of 1,451
Guys, before I return my squeaky T60 in a few days, I also got a T40 (Mark 3) yesterday and so far I prefer the T40 (which is the closed back version).

I have had a look inside both and the T40 is the only one that has an attempt at some baffle dampening inside. The T40 seems to have the same baffle foam ring as the T20 photo taken by Kintsaki.

I will experiment more in the next few days by changing pads and rings and see if my view changes.

I paid £114 for the T40 and £280 (now £299) for the T60 on Amazon UK.

I am new to the Fostex RP series so any advice or opinion is welcome.

Overall I think that the T60 is decent but its sound is more on the closed back side for me and the T40 is a little more closed in but sounds more engaging, natural and intimate. I also like the benefits of closed backs on many occasions and that is why I am still searching.

If I keep the T40, I would probably change the pads (which are not as bad as I have read) and put real leather pads on it as well as some foam on the headband and possibly some blu tack dampening on the inside of the cups.

Also, does anyone know if the T60 pads are real leather as I am a little doubtful?

I am also a bit skeptical that the wood cups on the T60 make an audible difference other than having natural dampening built it?

Controversial indeed!!!

From what I understand the T40RP is the closed version, T50 semi and T20 fully open. If I had a choice of pads it would be the ZMF oval lambskin, I just got the proteins and they seem alright much softer than lambskins, I will have my T60RP today to test with them.
I'll have lambskin in about a week and I think I might prefer the texture of that (previously owned them), they add more bass. It's odd you find the T40 better as the T60 is supposed to be more refined, usually the T40 is the forgotten one but is supposed to be the most analytical of the bunch.
I am not sure what the t60 pad is made of but probably velour and protein leather. I don't really like hybrid pads, when I put the T-X0 hybrids back on the Argon it feels like it has been neutered and when you have lambskin angled pads on it becomes a beast.

I'll also have some Eikon pads to test and I will have more T50 based oval lambskin pads which I'll be posting on the classified section a few weeks from now if anyone is interested let me know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back