Fostex T60RP
Jul 6, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #436 of 1,465
Just out of curiosity, because I've never heard the argon or t60rp how would they compare to the m1060C. I'm considering purchasing a pair, they seem very promising.

The 1060c is fun no doubt but the headband is awful. I would buy one again when they revise the headband which I heard is in the works. The Argon is great but it has a 9 week waiting list.

So if you need something quick get the T60 here.
Then get the zmf lambskins here.
Mayflower Baffle ring or kit here as recommended by Kintsaki here.

Not saying don't get either of the other too but to me the T60RP with upgrades is ahead of the m1060c. The Argon is great I was considering selling mine cheaper than new of course but in two minds about it.

@kintsaki is there much of a difference opening one of the holes for bass?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #437 of 1,465
I think the ZMF pad adds bass, I did not even use the stock pads (Shamefur I know) but bass is almost or actually on par with my Argon and TH-610 but the mids and highs are presented so nicely, not harsh at all. They won't always tell you this but so much is reliant on the pads. I just want to get Alpha pads to test just coz. Dare I say possibly nicer than a $1400 headphone I had not so long ago, will need to listen for more micro detail. will have to get out the mazda/cifte 12au7 tube.

I am pretty new to headphones but out of the 10+ or so I have had this is one of the best, not even burned in and can make that conclusion after a few hours.

Ow man that kick! I better be careful or I'll get up on my desk at work and bust some moves.

tenor.gif

Pm me I have some alphas I'll let go, I don't have use for them anymore, my t50 mod has baffles w a recess in them so thick pads don't work, too much room.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #438 of 1,465
I think these are more efficient than the MK2, does not need as much juice. I can go to 95% with the MK2 on one of my amps and need to bump APO's db up a bit. The T60RP with 0 on APO is very loud at 88%.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #440 of 1,465
It really is as you say. Ever since I mentioned that ZMF are the best pads their price jumped from 50 to 85. Next time say that the stock pads are best for you so we can get the price back down again!

They are basically $100 imported to Canada, I'll eventually justify the purchase but its still insane from my perspective.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #441 of 1,465
They are basically $100 imported to Canada, I'll eventually justify the purchase but its still insane from my perspective.

I'll have similar pads coming in from China soon. If I can figure out cheap postage to you I will. Maybe on the ebay GSP.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #442 of 1,465
The Eikon lambskin style I am using is very impressive and between the protein and lambskin zmf oval the lambskin is my favorite on the MK2.
Will report back on the Eikon lambskin,pleather and oval pleather hopefully later today.

When 1:30 hits on the Argon I am like fuarrrkkkk! :L3000: will T60 do the same?

I listen the track on my modded T20Mk2 and the T60. On 0:00-1:30 the build-up, orgasm state, T20 better because of it's immersive nature . However 1:30 the hitting state I prefer the T60 that give me more punch force.

T60 give me a sense of "objective" sound, more quick more bounce and separation. That give "Michael Jackson - Get on the floor (3:20)" a very dramatic bass line experience. I can see more fingers action on T60 that I never see on my Meze99 and Elear.

My modded T20 (# DBV3 similar with ori pad) sounds more "subjective, immersive".
Yosi Horikawa - bump (0:25) let me inside the "rain" of the sound piece that T60 doesn't.

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #443 of 1,465
Newbie poster here in fact this thread is what helped me with my decision to purchase the Fostex T60RP. I know I most likely need a new headphone amp I currently use a Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 as my AMP/DAC. I posted the power of there headphone amp below had to email tech support they did not include that on there site. What would you guys recommend as a budget amp money be tight with all my expensive tastes. I have tried the Schiit Magni 3 and side by side with my sound card could hear no difference.

Creative AE-5 Headphone amp
16 ohm : 232.8mW rms per channel
32 ohm : 281.25mW rms per channel
330 ohm: 85.12mW rms per channel
600 ohm : 46.8mW rms per channel

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #444 of 1,465
Newbie poster here in fact this thread is what helped me with my decision to purchase the Fostex T60RP. I know I most likely need a new headphone amp I currently use a Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 as my AMP/DAC. I posted the power of there headphone amp below had to email tech support they did not include that on there site. What would you guys recommend as a budget amp money be tight with all my expensive tastes. I have tried the Schiit Magni 3 and side by side with my sound card could hear no difference.

If you cannot notice any audible differences and can drive them to desirable levels then I would not be worried, here are measurements for the MK3's which should be somewhat similar:

Headphone Measurements:
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL:
0.206 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz:
53 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL
0.80 mW
Broadband Isolation in dB (100Hz to 10kHz):
-7 dBr

I've owned a few pieces from Schiit and they are hyped to the moon and back, what are you using as your DAC? If your using your soundcard I would suggest getting something external to your PC.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #445 of 1,465

Well the soundblaster is packing a sabre dac so it's gonna be alright. Better than a lot of the cheaper options for sure. I went with an xDuoo TA-01 (work) and TA-10 (home) because I wanted a tube sound and the ability to tube roll. Both are about 2000 mW @32 ohm.
I had a cheap FX-Audio DAC-X6 with an upgraded opamp LME49860NA in high gain mode and it powered them to silly high levels. Your sabre based DAC might sound better but not have the same output.

It's down to if you want more power,a particular sound and connectivity/options. Big question is what is your budget?

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #446 of 1,465
@kintsaki any idea on how to cure the creaking where the headband meets the cups or how to safely disassemble where it pivots to add some lubricant?

Edit: I think it is within the plastic piece pictured here.

7577111.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #447 of 1,465
@kintsaki any idea on how to cure the creaking where the headband meets the cups or how to safely disassemble where it pivots to add some lubricant?

Edit: I think it is within the plastic piece pictured here.

Unscrew baffles after removing pads, there is 1 screw inside the cup that holds the pivot on.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #448 of 1,465
Unscrew baffles after removing pads, there is 1 screw inside the cup that holds the pivot on.

The screw is not there or covered by a plastic disc which has 3 screws that go into the wood. I don't know if this disc pops off to reveal the screw.

Just not sure can it be reused or a one time use part.

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #449 of 1,465
There's a foam piece in front of the sscrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back