Fostex T60RP
Jul 7, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #451 of 1,465
I listen the track on my modded T20Mk2 and the T60. On 0:00-1:30 the build-up, orgasm state, T20 better because of it's immersive nature . However 1:30 the hitting state I prefer the T60 that give me more punch force.

T60 give me a sense of "objective" sound, more quick more bounce and separation. That give "Michael Jackson - Get on the floor (3:20)" a very dramatic bass line experience. I can see more fingers action on T60 that I never see on my Meze99 and Elear.

My modded T20 (# DBV3 similar with ori pad) sounds more "subjective, immersive".
Yosi Horikawa - bump (0:25) let me inside the "rain" of the sound piece that T60 doesn't.

Here is a little mixture of stuff I have been working on. Track 4 is great if you let it run.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #452 of 1,465
Something is not right...I think this has more bass than my TH-610. More tests needed.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #454 of 1,465
My T60 Left side also suffered by this. I lubricanted the join from outside didn't solve.

I think its in the plastic cap. Just have to figure out his to get plastic cover off the screw inside.

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #455 of 1,465
Well the soundblaster is packing a sabre dac so it's gonna be alright. Better than a lot of the cheaper options for sure. I went with an xDuoo TA-01 (work) and TA-10 (home) because I wanted a tube sound and the ability to tube roll. Both are about 2000 mW @32 ohm.
I had a cheap FX-Audio DAC-X6 with an upgraded opamp LME49860NA in high gain mode and it powered them to silly high levels. Your sabre based DAC might sound better but not have the same output.

It's down to if you want more power,a particular sound and connectivity/options. Big question is what is your budget?

My budget will be about $200

Jul 8, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #457 of 1,465
Regarding the squeak, mine are really bad like the Panda's, it seems like the first batch had the biggest problem. If you get a bad one just return it and get a T40 mk3 instead! :ksc75smile:

I am loving my T40 and still much prefer it to the T60. I reckon that it keeps improving with burn-in. Having said that I am mainly using a DAP, so opinions will vary!

I have experimented more and I think that the angled pads on the T60 messes up the sound for me even though the angle gives the impression of more detail and airiness but at the expense of presence and natural timbre, etc.

I have also used the T60 cable on the T40 but I prefer the stock T40 cable as it gives more body to the sound.

My intention now is to get some shallow (straight) pads (a bit thicker than the stock T40 pads) but with proper leather that do not sweat the ears, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #458 of 1,465
Regarding the squeak, mine are really bad like the Panda's, it seems like the first batch had the biggest problem. If you get a bad one just return it and get a T40 mk3 instead! :ksc75smile:

I am loving my T40 and still much prefer it to the T60. I reckon that it keeps improving with burn-in. Having said that I am mainly using a DAP, so opinions will vary!

I have experimented more and I think that the angled pads on the T60 messes up the sound for me even though the angle gives the impression of more detail and airiness but at the expense of presence and natural timbre, etc.

I have also used the T60 cable on the T40 but I prefer the stock T40 cable as it gives more body to the sound.

My intention now is to get some shallow (straight) pads (a bit thicker than the stock T40 pads) but with proper leather that do not sweat the ears, any suggestions?

I've got to be honest, your opinions seem to be the polar opposite of everyone on here and all the reviews I have read.

The potential of having much higher density with the mahogany cups vs the plastic cups that come with the t20/40/50 was a big enough selling point for myself, even aside from the better pads and comfort strap.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #459 of 1,465
I've got to be honest, your opinions seem to be the polar opposite of everyone on here and all the reviews I have read.

The potential of having much higher density with the mahogany cups vs the plastic cups that come with the t20/40/50 was a big enough selling point for myself, even aside from the better pads and comfort strap.

Not only me, Mr Kintsaki's wife agrees with me. :smile_phones: I can buy a comfort strap for the T40 but I wont be looking for a strap that is as rigid and hard as on the T60.

And I will buy real leather pads that are breathable and not sweaty like the T60, in fact the T40 pads are less sweaty but less comfortable of course (but are borderline comfortable for me).

Why don't some of the guys on here buy a bargain T40 and give their views?

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #460 of 1,465
Not only me, Mr Kintsaki's wife agrees with me. :smile_phones: I can buy a comfort strap for the T40 but I wont be looking for a strap that is as rigid and hard as on the T60.

And I will buy real leather pads that are breathable and not sweaty like the T60, in fact the T40 pads are less sweaty but less comfortable of course (but are borderline comfortable for me).

Why don't some of the guys on here buy a bargain T40 and give their views?

Channel imbalance, unusable stock padding, uncomfortable headband, plastic cups ... pretty much everything would need to be replaced with a stock set. I was looking into the ZMF Classics, Argon, Mayflower etc. then Fostex released a set with wooden cups, upgraded drivers, headband and a decent set of pads ... was a no brainer.

Edit: I just ordered a set ... my wallet thanks you.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #461 of 1,465
I forgot to mention that the baffle plate and driver are exactly the same on the T60 and T40. Both drivers also have the same markings "Foster dp29 sz1d"

I listen with my ears and not my eyes, take it or leave it guys as I don't give a flying fluff what others think, I will give my views and help stop the spread of BS hype on HF and elsewhere.

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #462 of 1,465
I forgot to mention that the baffle plate and driver are exactly the same on the T60 and T40. Both drivers also have the same markings "Foster dp29 sz1d"

I listen with my ears and not my eyes, take it or leave it guys as I don't give a flying fluff what others think, I will give my views and help stop the spread of BS hype on HF and elsewhere.

Wow this comment makes me feel like we’re on /r/headphones. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and justifying their purchases.

I cannot count the amount of cans I’ve owned that were praised and measured well, in the end I thought quite a few were a train wreck.

Beauty of this hobby, it’s completely subjective ...

Regardless, I just ordered a set of T40s ... I’ll post back with impressions in the next few days.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #463 of 1,465
^ No problem at all Sir, let us know what you think of the T40 initially - and again after about 50 hours and tell us if you think that they improve with burn-in?

I think that Foxtex must have improved their build quality because I have no issues with the T40 iii so far. This is my first experience with Fostex so I can't comment on previous models.

Jul 8, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #464 of 1,465

Your T60 cable is the ori stock or a balanced?

I tried 840 pads on the T60, it's a bit thicker then T40 pads and flat without angle. I prefer the T60 stock pads more. However I like the T40 pads on T60 most.
I think both pads' difference not just the depth or angled, actually T40 is a on-ear pads but T60 is an over-ear pads.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #465 of 1,465
Your T60 cable is the ori stock or a balanced?

I tried 840 pads on the T60, it's a bit thicker thanT40 pads and flat without angle. I prefer the T60 stock pads more. However I like the T40 pads on T60 most.
I think both pads' difference not just the depth or angled, actually T40 is a on-ear pads but T60 is an over-ear pads.

Yes, mine is just the stock cable that comes with the T60, if I wanted a balanced cable,etc. I personally would look elsewhere as I don't rate the fostex upgrade cables especially for its price.

I do think that the short stock T40 cable (with 3.5mm plug) is good enough so I will probably stay with it.

You make a good point about the T40 pads are borderline on-ears so it might be more difficult getting better breathable pads that don't change the sound in a negative way.

I have the Shure 940 with the pads and I reckon they could be good but are a bit small (and I would damage them trying).

Let me know if you find a good option and I will do likewise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back