Fostex T50RP
Aug 1, 2008 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ashy

Head-Fier
So a quick search didnt show up any reviews of these cans. They're only $75 USD on amazon and I'm thinking of picking up a pair after reading about orthodynamic cans.

Can anybody here recommend them?
I have a headphonia lyrix usb dac/amp and a set of HD580s.
I'm thinking of getting a set of HD595s but I'm wondering how the fostex cans compare to these.

They're cheap enough that I might get them anyway just to have a listen but a quick heads up on what to expect would be much appreciated.

PS: Here they are on amazon Amazon.com: Fostex T50RP Studio Headphones: Electronics

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 19
It is of general consensus amongst the ortho fans that the older Fostex models are much better than the newer models (no, I have not heard the newer models so I cannot personally confirm nor deny this). On their advice, I got lucky and won an auction for an older T40RP and I'm very happy with it. It is my understanding the older model T50RP is very hard to come by but considered king of the Fostex orthos.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 19
Don't buy 'em. At least, don't buy 'em if you're after audiophile sound. They're strictly a pro audio listening tool. It's the older models that have potential as audiophile darlings, just as warrior05 said.

If you bought 'em, you'd never believe orthos could be any good. Just say no.

EDIT: One slight correction: the early model that's King of the Fostex and arguably King of the Orthos is the T50, not T50RP, which despite the similarity in model name/number is a completely different headphone in every respect but one: operating principle. They're both orthos, but one has been evolved and tuned for a specific job in pro audio and the other was simply the best damn headphone Fostex knew how to make in 1978, and it's still pretty damn good today.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 19
Ok, so I've done a bit of reading of the orthydynamic threads I could find here and I'm wondering if it's still possible to get a set of Fostex T40v1/T20v2 for a reasonable price.

Basically I'd like to try some of the better orthodynamic cans without having to spend too much.

Am I dreaming or can it still be done?

Also if they show so much promise why the hell is nobody making orthos aimed at audiophiles anymore?

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also if they show so much promise why the hell is nobody making orthos aimed at audiophiles anymore?

You can't beat a moving coil driver when it comes to cost and planar drivers will always be more expensive to produce and tougher to design.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't beat a moving coil driver when it comes to cost and planar drivers will always be more expensive to produce and tougher to design.

I have no idea about how much the most expensive headphones cost to produce... but I'd be very surprised if the production cost is anywhere near what they cost to buy. (If you know the facts here, I wouldn't mind a surprise.)

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea about how much the most expensive headphones cost to produce... but I'd be very surprised if the production cost is anywhere near what they cost to buy. (If you know the facts here, I wouldn't mind a surprise.)

A Grado or a Senn HE6x0 costs next to nothing to make but a Stax SR-007/4070 is far from cheap in parts alone and the Sennheiser He90 stators cost a fortune to make back in 1991. Back then this technique wasn't as common as it is today (a similar tech is used in the manufacturing of LCD's) and Senn paid the price for something which is IMO a drawback.

If you have ever produced anything and sold through a dealer network then you know that the production cost is only a small piece of the puzzle. The manufacturer needs a cut, so does the distributor and the dealer in the end but prices are rarely based on production costs, more what the market will tolerate. A good way to see that huge gap in profit margin between builders is the headphone amp market. Two amps may cost the same but one is much cheaper to make with an inferior design and poor parts.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 19
First post
smily_headphones1.gif

I just recently got a pair of T50RPs and I am currently listening to/burning them in now. They're mainly for work listening.

They probably need a little more time but right now they sound very nice. I have a STAX SR303 and 313 amp as my main setup and so they are my direct reference. I know, they are 2 very different 'phones but they are all I have and they are the "best" phones I have ever listened to except the SR007As. I need me a pair of them! Ahem... back to the thread topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Compared to the STAXes the Fostexes are sort of closed in and not as "sparkly" in the top end. But then not many headphones match STAXes for open-ness IMO. The Fostexes have more "in your face" bass though. People say that the Fostexes have no bass. I disagree. They have a decent amount without being overpowering. Its deep and rich although it might be a bit uncontrolled at times. The STAXes are not as deep and noticeable but they go low and its beautifully crisp. Sometimes the Fostex sounds muffled and a bit indistinct. Sounds like a resonance of the housing? It makes the mids a bit fluffy and voices suffer a bit as a result.

The detail of the Fostexes is very high though. There are some CDs where I can hear little details that I didn't notice before. These are meant for monitoring so I expect them to pick up all the little details and they do a great job at it! The STAXes might fall behind a little here. The STAXes have the detail but its not presented as blatently as the Fostexes.

The soundstage is very "left-right". Not much front to back depth compared to the STAXes but the left right width is impressive. You can tell left and right with pinpoint precision. Again, probably due to the monitor role of these cans. The "airyness" is not up to the STAXes as mentioned earlier but they are not bad for monitors. I have listened to a pair of Sony CD-900STs in the shop extensively and they were my first choice until I discovered the Fostexes recently. For those not in the know, the Sony's are pretty much the standard reference studio monitor in Japan. Sony Pictures worked with Sony to build them and they are very flat and plain, and by far the most widely used monitor in Japan. We even use them to mix the sound for our games. They sound very detailed (maybe more than the Fostexes) and crisp from high to low but they are maybe not as open and the high is maybe a little too shrill for my tastes. Anyway, the Fostexes won me over the Sony's in the end and I like the Fostex sound in many ways over the Sony's.

The Fostexes sound very smooth and relaxed. There is no urgency in their tone (not necessarily a bad thing) and they just sound flat and like the source. Not something to rock along to but they are easy to listen to. The STAXes are clean and smooth but they are more "colourful". They are more upfront and musical. Involving without being fatiguing and infinitely pleasureable to listen to. The Fostexes sound a bit bland but they are very smooth and just present the music with no frills.

The comfort of the Fostexes is not bad. I've tried worst (the Sony's). The pads are soft but they do get a little sweaty with prolonged use. The inner cavity is also not very big so your ears might get squashed a bit. The depth of the cavity is not that deep either so some people might get a bit of pain from the ear contacting the driver all the time. I find them perfectly fine though. Not anywhere near as comfortable as the STAXes but they aren't uncomfortable. The Sony's were bad here with pads that were thin and small.

The build of the Fostexes is very good. These will most probably take a fair bit of abuse. The cord is detachable and easily replaceable so there are no worries there. The adjusting mechanism is stiff so it son't move once you've adjusted it. They are relatively heavy though at 330g without the cable. I've not had any problems with fatigue though.

On the Japanese forums, these are not talked about much. Most reviews though say the Fostexes are muffled and echo-ey with not so great detail and subdued highs. Basically, not very well received but worth trying because they use a unique technology these days. I find the sound a little muffled sometimes but its not bad and the highs are a little subdued but they DO have the high end, its just not as piercing as some others. I am personally very satisfied with them.

I would probably not buy another pair of Fostexes but I would like to try a pair of CD900STs for direct comparison in my system. That is not to say I don't like them. I could really get to like this sound and as a first monitor headphone, I would not hesitate to reccommend these. Especially for the price! $80 is a bargain!

Edit: I just realised I didn't put in what I listen to ><
I listen to mainly rock type stuff (RHCP, Jimi Hendrix, RATM, Japanese groups etc), classical (piano, strings and simple orchestral), jazz, blues and pretty much anything else but I'm not so keen on dance and electronica or hip-hop, rap or R+B. I have an appreciation for acoustic instruments, especially guitar. The Fostexes handle simpler classical well but any hardish rock or complicated pieces sound muffled and a bit congested.

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I've done a bit of reading of the orthydynamic threads I could find here and I'm wondering if it's still possible to get a set of Fostex T40v1/T20v2 for a reasonable price.

Basically I'd like to try some of the better orthodynamic cans without having to spend too much.

Am I dreaming or can it still be done?

You have to be diligent in searching online auctions and sales. I got mine through eBay (T40RP v1) and a very good price. The deals are out there but they are scarce.

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 19
Fostex should be able to make a good dynamic headphone. They make some of the best full-range drivers on the planet, cheap, and many of the principles are the same...

Tim

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 19
That's what I thought but I think their drivers are better
wink.gif

I like the T50RPs but they don't compare with other cans as well as their FR drivers do to other FR drivers... if you get what I mean

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 19
Yes, we do get what you mean, and it's why those of us who are ortho freaks (among other assorted freakinesses) don't recommend that HFers buy the T50RP unless they've got a major driver transplant job in mind. Fostex decided long ago that the audiophile headphone market wasn't for them-- too small, too fickle. They've never stopped believing in the Regular Phase (aka orthodynamic or isodynamic) principle, though, showing over the years that planars are reliable, play loud and are affordable. The fact that you can enjoy the T50RP (as I did, though with reservations) is a tribute to the soundness of their decision. Smoothness and coherence cover many frequency-response sins. Add in the bulletproof construction and you have a very admirable headphone, but not a lovable one. It's good, but there are, or were, Fostex RP headphones that are so much more suited to audiophile use that it's not worth recommending the T50RP and its brother (sister?) models T20RP MK II and T40RP MK II.

We orthofreaks have a saying: Just because a headphone is technically proficient doesn't mean you will like them, and just because a headphone is technically deficient doesn't mean you can't like them.

Now, there's no reason in the world why the best of the easily-available older Fostex, the 1986--2006 second version of the T20 ("T20v2"), should be hard to find, since it was popular in recording studios and stayed in production for 20 years and there are a half-a-zillion of them out there. Why more don't show up on eBay, I really don't know. I wish I did. Maybe people like 'em too much; I don't know. All I can tell you is that the whole used planar-magnetic headphone market is in the doldrums and has been for nearly two years. But the T20v2 does show up from time to time and usually goes for a reasonable (~$50) on US eBay.

Those of you in Japan should be looking for the original 1978 T50, Teh Best Fostex Evar!!!, but be prepared to pay. And wait.

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on ebay.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 19
I got my Fostex T20RP 25 years ago, and they still work great and sound great. I like the older build style better, and i havent heard the new ones yet.
The only thing i like better about the new ones is the removeable cable. Other than that, im sure the older one is more comfy and i like the looks better on the older one.
If they were sold new again, like if they brought them back, id buy a T20RP and a T50RP for sure, from that 1982/83 vintage.

Hey....Check out these headphones..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmxT21uFRwM

Theres some Fostex on some of those heads.
Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles has T20RP on.
Blind people know great sound
smily_headphones1.gif

More cool phones..... " Band Aid 20 - Do They Know It's Christmas Time?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEnTSQStGE

Try this....sounds cool...lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugriW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBK4a...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1UtN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlOJr...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRIO...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7MnI...eature=related