Fostex T50RP
Aug 6, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Fostex T20RP 25 years ago, and they still work great and sound great. I like the older build style better, and i havent heard the new ones yet. ..im sure the older one is more comfy..

The original 1978 T20 (aka the T20v1) has a highly shaped response curve and the earpads, comfy as they are, are partly responsible. The T20v2 is a very different 'phone, with a visually identical but electrically much more powerful driver inside and very soft, enveloping earpads outside. You should try one. Much more efficient than the v1 too. Still, like you, I get a kick out of my first-gen T20, and modding them is simple.

Reminder: Fostex headphone nomenclature is very confusing, which is why in the Orthodynamic Roundup thread we adopted our own, just to keep from going crazy. When you say you want to buy a T50RP of 1982 vintage, you can't. There was no T50RP until 2002. The original T50 was made from 1978 to 1980, at which time its sound underwent a significant change for the worse and the cosmetics were tweaked slightly. Production stopped somewhere before 1986. After that, there was no T50 model until 2002, and as I said, it's a very different headphone and nowhere near as desirable for audiophiles.

Similarly, the T20 and T20RP are different 'phones. In the same way, and even more importantly, the T20RP and the T20RP MkII (the current model) are very different 'phones.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Fostex T20RP 25 years ago, and they still work great and sound great. I like the older build style better, and i havent heard the new ones yet. ..im sure the older one is more comfy..

The original 1978 T20 (aka the T20v1) has a highly shaped response curve and the earpads, comfy as they are, are partly responsible. The T20v2 is a very different 'phone, with a visually identical but electrically much more powerful driver inside and very soft, enveloping earpads outside. You should try one. Much more efficient than the v1 too. Still, like you, I get a kick out of my first-gen T20, and modding them is simple.

Reminder: Fostex headphone nomenclature is very confusing, which is why in the Orthodynamic Roundup thread we adopted our own, just to keep from going crazy. When you say you want to buy a T50RP of 1982 vintage, you can't. There was no T50RP until 2002. The original T50 was made from 1978 to 1980, at which time its sound underwent a significant change for the worse and the cosmetics were tweaked slightly. Production stopped somewhere before 1986. After that, there was no T50 model until 2002, and as I said, it's a very different headphone and nowhere near as desirable for audiophiles.

Similarly, the T20 and T20RP are different 'phones. In the same way, and even more importantly, the T20RP and the T20RP MkII (the current model) are very different 'phones.

More muffled, small sound stage....

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #18 of 19
I received the Fostex T50 rp today. Since I did not like the T 20rp that much due to the muffled and HF roll-off, I did not expect much BUT WOW, these are like a complete sound signature from Fostex: Smooth, details and punchy.  Yes, WOW, i love my T50RP that I need another one for spare. 

Even AC/DC sounds freaking good with these cans...

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #19 of 19
It's ALIVE!

Acdoan, it's worth checking out the other thread about the T50RP, because this one is three years old and a lot has been happening with these cans since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back