Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #376 of 2,832
Quote:
Is it wrong that I still like my Q701 more than my modded T50rp? 

not at all, personal preference.
redface.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #377 of 2,832
Quote:
not at all, personal preference.
redface.gif

This won't make me like them more than my Q701, but my goal with the Fostex was to make them dark with a massive and extended bass. Like an HD650 on steroids. They have good bass, but I still want more. The Shure pads made a big difference, but I still want more. Switching between these and my Q701 there just isn't enough of a difference in bass quantity to make them enjoyable for me. I want a bass light can (Q701) and a bass heavy can. I want one of each. I love the mids and I'm fine with the highs, but I just still want more bass out of these T59rp's.

What mods will give me more bass without warming up the mids to much?

right now my mod list is:
-840 pads
-angled the 840 pads a little bit by stuffing a piece of tissue in the rear half of the pads
-a very small amount of rite-aid cotton roll fluffed up in the cups 
-some foam in the deepest parts of the cups
-mass loaded the baffle with a non hardening modeling clay
-closed off the small port on the driver baffle
-taped over the outer 4 vents and then poked 3 small pen tip sized holes in the tape. leaving the vents completely open seemed to make them seem too warm

-I haven't messed with dampening the back side of the driver, I left the white layer on the back side of the driver and added just the cotton and foam in the cups. No other dampening has been done yet.

is there anything else I can do to get more bass without also adding to much warmth to the lower mids?  

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #378 of 2,832
Easiest way to get "more" bass is to attenuate the highs. Any sort of stuffing behind will help disperse reflections, and some felt or other stuff in front will tone down the highs as well. I usually have a couple pieces of micropore tape on the front. You could even just put a piece of paper on front (like a treble reflector in reverse). 

Bigger/softer pads that seal better will also help. I have J$ beyer pads, but others I'm sure will work. 

I don't have anything over my cup vents; I leave them as is. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #379 of 2,832
and on top of the excellent advice above,

In my opinion if you want even more bass, quit working the rest of the modding around the large pad opening variable and go lower.
Consider that a pad with a smaller center opening will focus the bass to new levels( acts like a lens ). Trouble is if you aren't familiar with making your own, then finding one to fit with a small opening might be difficult. 
You COULD try the Shure 550 pads, their center is about 30mm not sure how they will fit , and they won't be as high off the baffle.  Sacrifices.

here's a picture. http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/20235#post_8553903

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #380 of 2,832
Quote:
Bigger/softer pads that seal better will also help. I have J$ beyer pads, but others I'm sure will work. 

This is my experience, too. Here are some more specific, related findings.

I've tried two versions of the HM5 pads : one with the ear hole lined with soft vinyl, the other lined with thicker, stiffer vinyl but otherwise almost identical. The pads with the softer hole lining deliver markedly fuller bass.

Also, the geometry/diameter of the ear hole matters. I've made thicker, angled versions of the stock pads. These didn't enhance the bass significantly, a fact I attribute to the small ear hole, despite the greater hole depth. You can experiment yourself by adding some padding beneath the stock pads to see if it boosts the bass.

tl;dr In my experience ear holes with bigger diameters and lined with soft vinyl deliver moar bass.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #381 of 2,832
Anybody know what happened to the price of Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads.  I had checked them before and they were $49 but now I'm getting $59 plus shipping.  

Was there a sale before or did the prices just go up? 

Is there a coupon somewhere?

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #382 of 2,832
Quote:
Anybody know what happened to the price of Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads.  I had checked them before and they were $49 but now I'm getting $59 plus shipping.  

Was there a sale before or did the prices just go up? 

Is there a coupon somewhere?

It was a temporary sale.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #383 of 2,832
Thank you for the reply.  I would have done it at $49 but not $59 because I doubt they'll help the sound much and I don't have a problem with comfort.   I'll still keep my eyes open for a sale however.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #384 of 2,832
I'm so very torn on whether I like my Q701 more or my new modded Fostex T50rp more. 

They don't sound all that radically different, so it's not even that I prefer one over the other for certain genres. They both sound great with everything I listen to them with, but just different. The modded T50rp has a slightly bigger/flatter bass, a more full lower mid-range, with a more gentle treble, but it still has plenty of sparkle and top end detail for cymbals. The soundstage on the modded T50rp isn't even that bad in comparison either. It's obviously not as wide, but it's not ridiculously narrow either. The T50rp seems to have a deeper soundstage placing things more in front(further away). I feel like I can pick out more detail in the mid-range with the T50rp, but I may be wrong. The T50rp also wins big time in terms of isolation, which doesn't really matter all that much since most of my listening is done in an almost dead silent room. I guess it will be a bigger help when it warms up and I have to use my window A/C unit. After padding the headband on the T50rp comfort is great, but I have no complaints about the comfort of the Q701 either.   

I still need to get around to doing some A/B comparisons, but this is how I feel after using the Fostex now all week instead of the Q701. 

My original goal with the T50rp was to make them sound the opposite of the Q701 and have above average isolation. I originally wanted them to be bass heavy and dark, like an HD650 on steroids. I haven't been able to get the bass quantity I had wanted out of them, so now they ended up being how I describe them above. Now they are pretty much just a little bit different sounding from my Q701, but are more portable. They are different sounding than the Q701, don't get me wrong, but it just isn't as big of a difference as I was originally hoping for. 

oh, and here is a pic of my T50rp, notice the headband pad:

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #385 of 2,832
Nice headband pad!!!

Could you explain how's made?

Pics??

:wink:

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #386 of 2,832
Colour me gobsmacked.

I've been modding T50RP for a couple of years and I have a pretty good sense of what these headphones are capable of. BMF-modded DBV#3 are as close as I've heard to gathering all the best of my mods and putting them into one mod. Every shortcoming I had with my mods, these overcome. 

These are disciplined, balanced headphones. That might sound like damning with faint praise but most of my music across genres sounds good on the DBV#3. These are neutral, not boring.  

The biggest surprise are the upper mids and top-end. Lately, I've been tuning my mods with a log sweep. With my mods, I can hear warbles, valleys and peaks above 4-6 kHz that I thought were inherent to the phones or my ears. But on the DBV#3, the sweep sounds largely flat over the range of my hearing. The bass is extended and tight; very much present without being overbearing. (LIstening to a well-recorded double bass is a particular treat.)

A tip of the hat and a bow of respect to BlueMonkeyFlyer. The DBV#3 are quite wonderful. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #387 of 2,832
Quote:
Nice headband pad!!!

Could you explain how's made?

Pics??

:wink:

Its just the headband pad from an HD205. I simply ripped it off my old no longer used HD205 and super glued it on.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #388 of 2,832
I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday, so here we go again...

Has anyone tried just drilling a ton of holes in the cups and making the T50rp open backed? I know DBV tried opening up another set of vents (and hence the moniker of "double bass vents" which has lost it's original meaning but the naming remained), but has anyone gone further than that? 

There's also the silly voice in my head that says after I've transplanted these drivers into the COP, I should try an open backed Sennheiser next... 

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #389 of 2,832
Quote:
I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday, so here we go again...

I think if you were going to go to all that trouble it would be easier to get hold of some aluminum per sheet and just make an enclosure. A Stax rectangle type would most likely be easiest to assemble. Perhaps mount the driver in a syntactic foam frame and sandwich the perf plate on either side.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #390 of 2,832
Well... building an enclosure is easier said than done. All I have for power tools is a hand drill/dremel. Every time I go to the hardware store I start lingering and wondering if I should pick up a table saw, band saw, drill press, table lathe... but I have neither the time, nor money, nor space for all that 
size]

Those wet tile saws keep going on sale for quarter price though... which would be handy for kitchen/bathroom renos... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back