- 1,302 Posts. Joined 7/2007
- Location: jakarta, Indonesia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 12/4/16 at 10:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
This headphone has a quite good sound quality for its price. Its sound is very clear, the mids and highs are well detailled. The bass is tight but some recordings sound lacking bass. It needed a...
Gratitude and greetings go out to RHA Team and @Glassmonkey - thank you so much for giving me the...
Recently got ordered these Mee AudioRunaway on-ear headphones as I had some wellness program points that were going to expire. I have had the MEE audio M-Duo Dual Dynamic Driver In-Ear Headphones...
Deep, Dark but not Handsome?! Disclaimer Firstly, I would like to thank Pandora for sending these to me for the purpose of this review. All impressions will be made from an objective...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1350post #20236 of 246827/25/12 at 3:24amahaaaa, nice looking supraural pads over there nick...how about the comfort ? i believe it's gonna suit just fine on T30s...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20237 of 246827/25/12 at 5:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by leeperry
And you can hear the bass line of "Nick Cave - Red Right Hand.flac"(my fav test tune for deep bass response) loud and clear? definitely not my experience...this said, I've got a large head(I pretty much max out the headband of those yamies) and dumbo'esque ears as well, so I guess this could temper w/ my own results.
Loud and clear!
Naturally, just about everything else in the song is louder but definitely audible to a good degree. My pads are semi-flattened, this might affect the seal.
Meanwhile my head is pretty big too but I'm almost at the lowest setting on the sliders... I am using my own headband though, which might be a little longer than the original headband. Just a little longer.post #20238 of 246827/25/12 at 6:30pmQuote:
I don't know about the comfort, only by feel because i didn't actually use them on anything ( they aren't mine ) BUT they do seem like they would be worthwhile. Not hard by any means.
Where's Vaughn and his update on the excellent looking salad bowl T50RP project? Does he like it, or does he not? Enquiring minds...
Edited by nick n - 7/26/12 at 1:01ampost #20239 of 246827/26/12 at 6:56am
Recently I got hold of a Yamaha HP-1 and applied some damping. Although I liked what I heard I soon set out to put the drivers into a wood housing. Now, this is the result. I am using two layers of felt behind the driver plus (one of them has a hole of about 1.5cm diameter), held in place by a disc of medium density foam. I also lined the cup walls and bottom with with some acoustic foam. The pleather pads were taken from a cheap computer headset. They fit perfectly.post #20240 of 246827/26/12 at 7:07ampost #20241 of 246827/26/12 at 7:19ampost #20242 of 246827/26/12 at 9:15amQuote:Originally Posted by stratocaster
Recently I got hold of a Yamaha HP-1 and applied some damping. Although I liked what I heard I soon set out to put the drivers into a wood housing. Now, this is the result. I am using two layers of felt behind the driver plus (one of them has a hole of about 1.5cm diameter), held in place by a disc of medium density foam. I also lined the cup walls and bottom with with some acoustic foam. The pleather pads were taken from a cheap computer headset. They fit perfectly.
Nice work. How does it sound? an improvement over the stock in your opinion?post #20243 of 246827/26/12 at 10:08amQuote:
I would say so. Yet, I have learned to hold back a little and give myself more time to evaluate and make changes/tweaks with respect ot damping and stuff before I jump to conclusions. I would not want to praise something just because I made it and want it to sound fabulous.
Applying changes in the damping scheme is a lot easier compared to the stock enclosing though. I first tried the shells open back (too muddy), with a closed vent (too thin and congested) and finally settled with an open vent. To my ears there is still too much bass that way, so I am experimenting with partly closing or damping the vent with foam/felt too. It can easily be accomplished from outside. My ears seem to tell me that an additional foam stopper in the vent reducing the airflow sounds best.post #20244 of 246827/26/12 at 12:47pmThread Starter
Stratocaster, if you had to guess at the frequency response curve in the lower midrange and bass, would you say there's a broad peak (we call it a "hump") somewhere (compared to midrange level) in the bass? if so, where would you say it is? Or would you say the response rises as you go lower in frequency and finally hits a mechanical cutoff way down around 20 Hz or so? Or is the treble slowly rolled off, but starting around 1 or 2 kHz, giving the impression of too much bass?post #20245 of 246827/26/12 at 1:08pm
To me they sound really flat from the cloud region down. At normal listening levels I can hear them go down to ~17Hz. The second felt disk (the one without the hole) recessed the highs, so I took it out again. I am really happy with these now. Really significant treble rolloff starts after 10KHz
Edited by stratocaster - 7/26/12 at 1:35pmpost #20246 of 246827/27/12 at 8:47am
Are you happy with treble after modification? Do you find the amount of highs right where you want it? How would you describe the sound of these headphones bright or dark? And the most important do you get fatigue with listening after mods?post #20247 of 246827/27/12 at 8:57am
Looking good, stratocaster. Funny, I usually find the opposite is true in regards to muddiness in open vs. closed backs.
The ebay pads arrived yesterday so I tried putting them on the AT-702 but the circumference is much smaller and there is no way they would stretch that far. My solution was to rip off the fabric/foam connected to the adapters and just glue the pads onto the adapters. Works fine. And as expected, the bass is absolutely massive now, even after I added a layer of thick felt damping. This is the same thick felt that I bought from the batch BMF had, that was all the rage way back when.post #20248 of 246827/28/12 at 10:47am
Good weekend for Yamaha orthos here in small Northern Europe country.
Finally found a guy selling a vintage Electone who still had the HP-50A for it. He didn't seem willing to sell the phones separately (= cheaply), but it turned out someone else on that auction site was selling a pair of HP-50S for a reasonable-ish price, which I took. I've never seen a single Yamaha ortho on there, and to have two on the same weekend is neat to say the least.
Edited by vid - 7/28/12 at 10:49ampost #20249 of 246827/29/12 at 7:13am
"Lambskin pads? No thanks, I'll have the duct tape ones."
As everyone, I've had longtime problems with the HOK pads. These 'new' pads were originally like this (not my image; Philips SBC 3150), but I cut them to roughly fit the HOK baffle, taped the seam shut and the pads onto the baffle. I've had negative experiences of the durability (lack of) of duct tape on pleather surfaces, but one day I'll get around to actually buying pads that fit the HOK.
The comfort is good despite looks and the sound is ok; I'll see about getting some frequency measurements later to see the relative change vs. the original pads.post #20250 of 246827/29/12 at 10:56pmQuote:
The wood HP-1's are definitely dark sounding headphones. The higher frequencies are laid-back, they are not fatiguing.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 23 seconds ago
- › Prog rock 28 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 28 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Sacramento Mini meet 3 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 3 minutes ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 4 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by MentalDraco
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear