Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Mar 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #406 of 2,832
Quote:
Well, that's my opinion about mrpseakers' leather Comfort Strap. I think it's great. Same for his Alpha Pads comfort..."luxurious" comes to mind.

RE: Velour Pads - I've tried numerous mod configs with Shure Velour pads. I cannot make them work. The velour sucks out everything from 500 Hz, down, causing a Very steep roll off of -15 dB and funky humps in the upper mids and lower treble range With My Mods. I applied electrical tape to the inner "walls" of Shure velour pads which lifted the FR by 3 to 7 dB from 20 Hz to 500 Hz. I then added electrical tape around the outer "walls" and this lifted the FR by 7 to 10 dB from 20 Hz to 500 Hz, but that's still not enough for good bass and lower mids, IMO/IME...YMMV.

Pretty much the only was a Velour is going to work on that is over a closed cell foam and near as I know nobody manufactures that particular combo.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #407 of 2,832
Quote:
Pretty much the only was a Velour is going to work on that is over a closed cell foam and near as I know nobody manufactures that particular combo.

Guess I'll just have to make em myself 
blink.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #409 of 2,832
Really not that hard  you can get some memory foam and cut to shape put it on and test it before covering with the velour

Oh, I know. I plan on making custom pads in the near future. I have a few ideas for work-arounds to circumvent the foam issue. In the meantime, I found inspiration from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646812/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-0-new-revised-feb-28-2013

Skip to part three... I plan to skin the 840 pad to add comfort without sacrificing SQ.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #410 of 2,832
Quote:
Oh, I know. I plan on making custom pads in the near future. I have a few ideas for work-arounds to circumvent the foam issue. In the meantime, I found inspiration from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646812/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-0-new-revised-feb-28-2013

Skip to part three... I plan to skin the 840 pad to add comfort without sacrificing SQ.

Looks decent, although I have no idea why one would cut up a pad for the material when velour is cheap as borscht at a fabric store. About a buck a metre last time I bought.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #411 of 2,832
By the way, what is wrong with the original T50RP if without the mod? Do they sound that bad? If yes, why didn't Fostex did something about them?

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #412 of 2,832
It's not bad... just could be better. Good driver, lousy (though durable/functional) enclosure.

Better pads make the most immediate difference in sound, but also add the most cost. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #413 of 2,832
Quote:
By the way, what is wrong with the original T50RP if without the mod? Do they sound that bad? If yes, why didn't Fostex or something about them?

671 pages 10060 posts, lot of information on whats wrong also some guesses why Fostex wont fix them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10050#post_9306268

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #414 of 2,832
Quote:
It's not bad... just could be better. Good driver, lousy (though durable/functional) enclosure.

Better pads make the most immediate difference in sound, but also add the most cost. 

You nailed that perfectly. Those pads are reminiscent of a bloody bean bag chair. What the devil were they thinking?

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #416 of 2,832
I plan on making my own stiff felt from normal felt (holes already punched in)and this white wood glue mixed 50/50 water and glue and apply with a brush several times and let dry.
hope this works cos importing stuff from the US is getting expensive.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #417 of 2,832
Quote:

Must. Keep. Costs. Low.

I feel the same way.  For anyone interested, I posted my thoughts in the T50rp thread....  http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10050#post_9302029
Quote:
I plan on making my own stiff felt from normal felt (holes already punched in)and this white wood glue mixed 50/50 water and glue and apply with a brush several times and let dry.

Clever!  If you don't mind me asking, they don't have different felt options at craft or fabric stores where you are from?

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #418 of 2,832
Quote:

If available you can also use fibreglass resin and a spray bottle.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #419 of 2,832
Quote:

I feel the same way.  For anyone interested, I posted my thoughts in the T50rp thread....  http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10050#post_9302029
Clever!  If you don't mind me asking, they don't have different felt options at craft or fabric stores where you are from?

Read that post Scotch. What exactly do you have against red dixie cups, could hardly be worse than the stock shells:)

The failure point in the whole RD ate my budget theory is that it costs as much to make decent pads as it does to make dismal ones. (Headphone pads being a pet peeve of mine, and not just Fostex either) So unless they stumbled across a warehouse full of 70's beanbag chairs for raw materials the cheap thing doesn't work there.

I think the truth lay more along the lines of being for studio use they made a one size fits all solution. The fact it fits all poorly and stifles the sound was a byproduct. Then again, how many musicians have their whole hearing left?

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #420 of 2,832
Quote:
Read that post Scotch. What exactly do you have against red dixie cups, could hardly be worse than the stock shells:)

The failure point in the whole RD ate my budget theory is that it costs as much to make decent pads as it does to make dismal ones. (Headphone pads being a pet peeve of mine, and not just Fostex either) So unless they stumbled across a warehouse full of 70's beanbag chairs for raw materials the cheap thing doesn't work there.

I think the truth lay more along the lines of being for studio use they made a one size fits all solution. The fact it fits all poorly and stifles the sound was a byproduct. Then again, how many musicians have their whole hearing left?

I remember reading somewhere that one of the Tx0rp models were designed "for drummers" maybe the pads were chosen for "sweat proofing".  Either way, it was a terrible design decision on their part.  But if they wise up too much, our little gem might not be so affordable.  I feel that at the moment, you can compare this these headphones to a cheap car like a Cavelier... but, by simply painting a red stripe on it, the car magically goes 200mph!  I am always amazed by what can be squeezed out of these drivers with a bit of ingenuity and some household items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back