Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Mar 31, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #421 of 2,832
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that one of the Tx0rp models were designed "for drummers" maybe the pads were chosen for "sweat proofing".  Either way, it was a terrible design decision on their part.  But if they wise up too much, our little gem might not be so affordable.  I feel that at the moment, you can compare this these headphones to a cheap car like a Cavelier... but, by simply painting a red stripe on it, the car magically goes 200mph!  I am always amazed by what can be squeezed out of these drivers with a bit of ingenuity and some household items.

Unless they are offbranding those drivers to ahem, some other manufacturer of high price cans there is no reason for them not to bring out a Tx Audiophile version. The community has already done the RD for them this time. They could easily still maintain the sub hundred dollar studio line as well.

They are killer drivers. I wonder if the DIY'ers ever approached Fostex for a bulk buy? I'm sure the numbers would be profitable for them.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #422 of 2,832
Tried searching, but want additional confirmation,

Can you essentially turn a pair of t40's into t50's by "removing glue from the vents"?

Or is there more to it than that?

Because the FR of the t40 looks pretty far from the t50, whereas the t20 seems to be a better choice, if looking for something equal in FR.

I'm basically looking for headphones under $100(CAD)  with a generally neutral signature with slight bass and treble boost. Kind of like K240's, but with less mid-bass bloat... I've yet to try any pair of fostex though.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #423 of 2,832
Quote:

Can you essentially turn a pair of t40's into t50's by "removing glue from the vents"?

Because the FR of the t40 looks pretty far from the t50, whereas the t20 seems to be a better choice, if looking for something equal in FR.

I'm basically looking for headphones under $100(CAD)  with a generally neutral signature with slight bass and treble boost. Kind of like K240's, but with less mid-bass bloat... I've yet to try any pair of fostex though.

From what I've read, your best bet would be the JayCar oem version of the Fischer FA-003 for more of a neutral sound.  I always boast the mids of the Tx0rp series.  The t20rp can be modded into a t50rp with some effort.  Given enough effort, the fostex driver can be tuned to your personal preference.  

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #424 of 2,832
Quote:

You have a Long and McQuade in Calgary I believe. They are dealers, you should be able to have a first hand listen there.
Working up a pair of t20's now and would have to say neutral is where they seem to live right off the shelf. No detectable bloat anywhere. I would budget for new pads right off the bat though. Unless your head is the size of a pumpkin the stock pads are all but useless. There also seems to be a recent glut of cheap T20's on the market. I paid 20 bucks so experimenting with them is a no lose scenario.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #425 of 2,832
Quote:

Yes, to both questions. Remove the rectangle of plastic covering the vents inside the cups. They come off easily since they're held in place by a bit of glue.  This takes them from over damped to under damped...or from No Bass to Bloated Bass. I posted something about this a few pages back in either this thread or the T50RP thread. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #426 of 2,832
Quote:

Yes, to both questions. Remove the rectangle of plastic covering the vents inside the cups. They come off easily since they're held in place by a bit of glue.  This takes them from over damped to under damped...or from No Bass to Bloated Bass. I posted something about this a few pages back in either this thread or the T50RP thread. 

You think I can adjust the amount of bass by playing with how much I cover the vents, or am I better off just buying the T20 for cheaper?

Quote:
You have a Long and McQuade in Calgary I believe. They are dealers, you should be able to have a first hand listen there.
Working up a pair of t20's now and would have to say neutral is where they seem to live right off the shelf. No detectable bloat anywhere. I would budget for new pads right off the bat though. Unless your head is the size of a pumpkin the stock pads are all but useless. There also seems to be a recent glut of cheap T20's on the market. I paid 20 bucks so experimenting with them is a no lose scenario.

Yeah I went to L&M yesterday, but they don;t have any in-store, just at their distributor, So I was still unable to cop a listen of any kind.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #427 of 2,832
Quote:
You think I can adjust the amount of bass by playing with how much I cover the vents, or am I better off just buying the T20 for cheaper?

Yeah I went to L&M yesterday, but they don;t have any in-store, just at their distributor, So I was still unable to cop a listen of any kind.

Amazing. You would think that as cheap as these things are they would stock them. Makes me wonder what the wholesale price on them is.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #428 of 2,832
Quote:

I feel the same way.  For anyone interested, I posted my thoughts in the T50rp thread....  http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10050#post_9302029
Clever!  If you don't mind me asking, they don't have different felt options at craft or fabric stores where you are from?

I´ve searched ebay and different german stores but i couldn´t find anything similar. if it was a bit stiffer they only sold sheetwise for over 20euros, so now i´ve just tried the glue method.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #429 of 2,832
Quote:
I´ve searched ebay and different german stores but i couldn´t find anything similar. if it was a bit stiffer they only sold sheetwise for over 20euros, so now i´ve just tried the glue method.

May be this works as alternative to stiff craft felt

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Filz-Bastelfilz-5-mm-stark-45-cn-breit-schwarz-ab-50-cm-146-Grundpreis-7-80-m-/321091953114?pt=DE_M%C3%B6bel_Wohnen_Stoffe&hash=item4ac29261da

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #430 of 2,832
Quote:
May be this works as alternative to stiff craft felt

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Filz-Bastelfilz-5-mm-stark-45-cn-breit-schwarz-ab-50-cm-146-Grundpreis-7-80-m-/321091953114?pt=DE_M%C3%B6bel_Wohnen_Stoffe&hash=item4ac29261da

thx muzo2,

i should have looked for "bastelfilz"! that seems to be the right stuff. but my home made stiff craft felt does the job too:)
anyway i realized upon opening the t50`s that the plasticine had gotten hard and crumbles of it where in the enclosure, so now i´ve looked for "non hardening plastecine" and hope it works better this time!

btw, do you unscrew the cup holder made of metal too, cos i found it to be a bit awkward fiddling in the cup if it was still attached to the headband?

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #431 of 2,832
All I did was mod a set of headphones for 'mrscotchguy.' I did not expect anything in return more than a "thank-you." Here's what arrived at my office, today - A Scotch Connoisseur's Supreme Sampler with 25 year-old Scotch and a Limited Edition bottle of Bernheim's. I  am blown away by his thoughtfulness and generosity. Talk about "Give More Than You Take!"

Thanks, so much, MrScotchGuy.

BMF
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #432 of 2,832
above and beyond! We will forgive the ensuing barrage of typos BMF

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #433 of 2,832
Wow, talks about a guy who lives up to his namesake. Cheers (literally!)

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #435 of 2,832
Quote:
All I did was mod a set of headphones for 'mrscotchguy.' I did not expect anything in return more than a "thank-you." Here's what arrived at my office, today - A Scotch Connoisseur's Supreme Sampler with 25 year-old Scotch and a Limited Edition bottle of Bernheim's. I  am blown away by his thoughtfulness and generosity. Talk about "Give More Than You Take!"

Thanks, so much, MrScotchGuy.

BMF
beerchug.gif

You are most certainly welcome, BMF!  Whisky and Headphones are my two favorite hobbies, the similarities are striking.  Enjoy responsibly, and save the Laphroaig for last! 
size]

For anyone curious about the bottle of the Limited Edt. whiskey in the picture... Bernheim contacted me and asked if I had any interest in a one-off single barrel of their "good stuff".  How do you say no to that?!  After tasting several cask samples at over 125 Proof,  I fell in love with the batch you see above.  It is a tough job to drink professionally, but somehow I manage on a daily basis.  Five months after making my decision, 288 bottles and a 53-gallon wood barrel arrive at my store.  We're nearing the tail end of it, but I am thinking I will save the last case for myself.  Bernheim is truly unique being a Wheat Whiskey, but I can geek out on whisk(e)y for days.  I will spare everyone that for now!

I had fun with this, and look forward to listening to true BMF DBVs.  Just remember what I told you BMF, if anyone comes knocking on your door asking about those little bottles, you received "computer parts" in the mail.  Liquid cooling??? 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back