Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
May 13, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #2,581 of 2,832
So with those leather pads you're likely to experience a dip in the mids (at least, that's what Luke's measurements have told him). If you have access to the Brainwavz XL Hybrid pads, they are the way to go. My personal experience is that the leather pads are muddier, and less coherent, but they give a good bit of bass to the sound.

Will be using a Dekoni Blue as a base as it has a black headband and I might even use Dekoni pads on it for the Audeze.

This Vibropants is sponsored by Dekoni!

May 13, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #2,582 of 2,832
Will be using a Dekoni Blue as a base as it has a black headband and I might even use Dekoni pads on it for the Audeze.

This Vibropants is sponsored by Dekoni!

Nice :). Going to sound awesome

May 13, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #2,583 of 2,832
Nice :). Going to sound awesome

I might do the Audeze Dekoni velours. I have lots of felt,various foam along with an unused Mayflower tuning kit and I'll be taking cues from other T50 mods.

I think those 10 holes are the bass ports? I might see would 2.5mm dust plugs fill then but I'd also like it semi open too like an Ori.

Actually very excited about it so many possibilities.

Edit: Did I mention a trapezoid deerskin suspension strap too? :L3000:

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #2,585 of 2,832
What connectors did you use? I am trying to find a long 2.5mm or perhaps try mini xlr but not sure if the xlr is too big.

EDIT: neutrik tiny xlr should work but making the hole bigger is gonna give me an aneurysm.

I will be using a tapered reamer to gently open the hile to 1/2 inch. The neutrik xlr is slightly bigger so will use a dremmel to sand it a little bit at a time until it slides in very snug. There will not be much room to play with.

I used the old style Hifiman SMC connector

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #2,586 of 2,832
I might do the Audeze Dekoni velours. I have lots if felt,various foam along with an unused Mayflower tuning kit and I'll be taking cues from other T50 mods.

I think those 10 holes are the bass ports? I might see would 2.5mm dust plugs fill then but I'd also like it semi open too like an Ori.

Actually very excited about it so many possibilities.

Edit: Did I mention a trapezoid deerskin suspension strap too? :L3000:

Yes, the ten holes are bass ports. Personally I keep all ten open...:)

Check out Luke's site. He just added a tuning kit. He uses a laser cutter to make them. All fits perfectly.

May 14, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2,587 of 2,832
Yes, the ten holes are bass ports. Personally I keep all ten open...:)

Check out Luke's site. He just added a tuning kit. He uses a laser cutter to make them. All fits perfectly.

Sold. That kit will make it much easier to dampen key sections.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #2,588 of 2,832
I used the old style Hifiman SMC connector

Did you get a full set of screws? After I got the small pieces on I only had 3 screws left but needed 12 so the baffle plate section could be mounted to the cup.

May 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,589 of 2,832
Did you get a full set of screws? After I got the small pieces on I only had 3 screws left but needed 12 so the baffle plate section could be mounted to the cup.
I re-used my baffle screws and the screws provided for the pivot mount etc.

May 15, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #2,590 of 2,832
Because the room to play with is a little tight for an xlr I am going to test the Focal utopia style connectors which have a diameter of about 8-9mm I think versus the 11 of the mini xlr. They are more expensive but you could get a set from here for about $50 and that includes sockets and two sets of plugs for the cables for balanced and SE.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0B-2-9pin-...G-0B-302-CLAD52/273777632332?var=573419588530

Note you can buy them with strain relief or buy the boots separate like here so you might have to shop around.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-15_8-18-9.png
    upload_2019-5-15_8-18-9.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #2,592 of 2,832
Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #2,594 of 2,832
I think I'm done modding these for a while, I think I got them to a good spot. They aren't as nice as the ori's for sure (oris made me cry this morning, the interstellar soundtrack is incredible), but they are good for daily use. Mayhaps in the future I'll get some wooden cups, but I'm not too eager to spend as much on those as I did on the cans themselves! Are the vibrolabs cups vented? I'd be tempted to drill a ring of holes in them or something, do trps need to breathe?

Here's a little photo album of what I did, apparently I only take crappy pictures...
Just about everything I used was from the mayflower mod or from the dentist, cheap! And now I can sell my 6xx and nighthawks, these are more my kinda sound.

Album
https://imgur.com/a/a8j1Lol

May 17, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #2,595 of 2,832
I think I'm done modding these for a while, I think I got them to a good spot. They aren't as nice as the ori's for sure (oris made me cry this morning, the interstellar soundtrack is incredible), but they are good for daily use. Mayhaps in the future I'll get some wooden cups, but I'm not too eager to spend as much on those as I did on the cans themselves! Are the vibrolabs cups vented? I'd be tempted to drill a ring of holes in them or something, do trps need to breathe?

Here's a little photo album of what I did, apparently I only take crappy pictures...
Just about everything I used was from the mayflower mod or from the dentist, cheap! And now I can sell my 6xx and nighthawks, these are more my kinda sound.

Album
https://imgur.com/a/a8j1Lol

It has 10 small ports and they now have $9 damping kit.
The Dekoni Blue with protein zmf ovals is pretty darn good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back