Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Jan 30, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2,402 of 2,832
Hey all, I'm having a minor issue and figured this was the thread to ask. I custom made a comfort strap for my T50Rp's. As you know, the comfort straps fasten with 2 screws, 1 screw per side. Currently, 1 screw will slowly loosen up a bit. If I don't re-tighten, it will eventually cause the assembly to fall apart. Has anyone tried using some blue Loctite on this screw? I suppose it would come down to whether loctite is compatible with plastic? Edit: just looked it up and not recommended for plastic. other ideas to achieve end result?

While I'm aware of this issue, my wife will forget & I don't want them to fall apart on her.

If it were me I would remove one of those screws, take it to a capable hardware store and find one slightly longer ( with the same thread pitch ) so it seats in further and holds.= I ASSUME the headband strap is a bit thick ?
as an alternative, or If that doesn't work easiest may be to put a very small drop of crazy glue on the threads when seating it.
If you look through here crazy glue has been used to repair threads so plastic should not deteriorate.
Seems also that if you really needed to you could still possibly remove the screw again since many of the repaired threads are reused again and again .

Just an option. Have a look in the first big post about thread repair and make your judgment based on that info there.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #2,403 of 2,832
I just got the Mod House Audio alcantara comfort strap and installed it yesterday. It comes with very slightly longer screws, and they are wood screws instead of sheet metal screws I guess--they are pointed on the end. It also has washers to spread out the pinch against the leather. It installed perfectly and feels amazing. You could take your headphones right into the hardware store and search around for the right screw. IMG_3060.JPG

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #2,404 of 2,832
Wasn't sure if this is the best place to ask but what do you guys suggest for a pre modded pair for t50rp's

I was looking at the following
ZMF Classic - http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-classic
Argon MK3 - http://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon-mk3/zimu3wz0oyxlavnprki2jovso6c31v
Mayflower v1 - https://mayflowerelectronics.com/fostex-t50rp-mk-iii-version-1/
Talos - http://cascadia-audio.com/product/talos/ (if they come back in stock)

if there are others options too Im open to them. Kinda leaning towards the ZMF just cause the pads and pilot pad is included.

And now I see Dekoni is making one also - https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...oration-audiophile-planar-magnetic-headphone/

Or do I buy a cheap used pair and tinker with them.

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,405 of 2,832
Hi all,

I have read through about 30% of this overall thread, and frankly I'm just ask confused about next steps. My apologies for not continuing to read through this thread, but it's very long (as you all know). Can someone help guide me into what mods they would suggest. Should I just buy the Mayflower Mod kit and start tinkering or are there more clearly outlined processes that others would suggest I reference?

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,406 of 2,832
Are you dealing with the new version t50rp or the older? If it's the older from 5+ years ago, I always enjoyed the lattice mod outlined in the first page. But I had mixed and matched on top of that. You can start with the dbv3 mod, the basic one outlined on first page, then tinker from there with pad rolling/custom cups/baffles/ recable and so on. It seems like the t50 mod fad has died out quite a bit. I still love mine, and it took years to get to a mod I can just sit aside and not tinker. Although, I still want to.

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2,407 of 2,832
I ended up buying a used set of the t50rp mk3 and the mayflower kit. Followed most of the kit instructions but left out the felt behind the driver. I continued by putting the 18mm reflector disc behind the driver and that was it. Not sure if it’s the dbv 3 or bmf 3 can’t remember the name but it’s almost identical. Turn out perfect for me. Kinda gave it a v shape sound but it sounds great. I need to find something to neutral it out more to get more mid and soundstage. Gonna try some ori pads and see if that helps.

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #2,408 of 2,832
Wpod cups do alot, along w custom baffles.

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #2,409 of 2,832
But, as far as neutralizing the sig without going full.on crazy like some of us have, if I recall correctly, the lattice mod, with rockwool rolled into a square, and near closed vents, with 1540 pads worked pretty well. Or I may have been using alpha pads at the time, can't remember. Also the cup side and Silverstone in the correct cutout( I believe there's pics on first page) yielded great results. There's so many, you just have to try until you find something you like. Then, you'll be interested in what else it possoble, and you'll never stop....its a nightmare man! Ha no but really, it'll be fun, enjoy It!

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #2,410 of 2,832
Are you dealing with the new version t50rp or the older? If it's the older from 5+ years ago, I always enjoyed the lattice mod outlined in the first page. But I had mixed and matched on top of that. You can start with the dbv3 mod, the basic one outlined on first page, then tinker from there with pad rolling/custom cups/baffles/ recable and so on. It seems like the t50 mod fad has died out quite a bit. I still love mine, and it took years to get to a mod I can just sit aside and not tinker. Although, I still want to.

Thanks for your post. I think I will buy the Mayflower Mod kit and give that a shot, per your comments I will also add the treble reflector as mentioned on the first page (that mod did seem to have many fans). Still need to wait for my DAC/Amp to arrive and then break these in for a few weeks, then it's time to mod.

Also I have some dynamat sitting around, I might try adding that in somewhere, maybe in place of the modeling clay.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #2,411 of 2,832
Thanks for your post. I think I will buy the Mayflower Mod kit and give that a shot, per your comments I will also add the treble reflector as mentioned on the first page (that mod did seem to have many fans). Still need to wait for my DAC/Amp to arrive and then break these in for a few weeks, then it's time to mod.

Also I have some dynamat sitting around, I might try adding that in somewhere, maybe in place of the modeling clay.

Beware, dynamat is about as messy as it gets

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2,413 of 2,832
I've used it quite a bit, I agree it can get messy, but once it's in place it's not bad.

Freeze it first, one of the genius folks here posted that before and it helps alot especially cutting it

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #2,414 of 2,832
If you want some help with mk3, check the link in my signature :wink: If you want more mids, remove the felt behind the driver (it alsor educes airflow = less bass).
You can also experiment with changing the foam on the ear side around the driver..

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2,415 of 2,832
Has anybody tried Dekoni pads? Seems they may be worthwhile if they can do this:
"the addition of the Dekoni Hybrid Ear Pads and other proprietary changes makes this headphone a better version of the original by being less fatiguing and smoother all around with an extended bass response."
Copied from Dekoni Audio Blue. This new modded T50RP is due in May.
I have been searching for the right way to tame the treble on my Mayflower v1. Tried a lot of materials between the driver and my ears but haven't nailed it yet. Maybe I need these pads.... It will be curious to find out what they have done to the inside too.
Layer-7-600x600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back