Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #2,431 of 2,832
Mar 31, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #2,432 of 2,832
I´m having problems with channel imbalances due to the different screws tensions.
Anyone experienced similar problems? Changing just one screw tension can have big impact mainly on midrange and lower end extension, but even at highs sometimes...

This was my mk3 before I transformed it into AlphaDog. mk3 both channels, purple is new replaced right driver, I stripped the threads on the last one.
MK3 R L.jpg

Now beta AlphaDog, only left channel, effect of the tightening of screws.
dog Left screws.jpg

Note that the measurements are from cheap mic, so look only for relative changes, the behavior above 1k is different in reality.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #2,433 of 2,832
So I bought a massdrop o2 amp to power my t50rp since my ae-5 isnt cutting it in my book. Would I supply the audio to the amp from the line out or the headphone jack

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #2,434 of 2,832
Try the line out first. You don't want to double amp if you can help it. If you're not getting enough signal strength from the line out then try the headphone out.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #2,435 of 2,832
So I bought a massdrop o2 amp to power my t50rp since my ae-5 isnt cutting it in my book. Would I supply the audio to the amp from the line out or the headphone jack
Use line out, according to tests line out @ 0dBFS is 2V rms, if you have standard Massdrop O2 gains, (2.5x low, 6.5x high) then you must use low gain or you will overload the front end.
If you have the optional medium gain version (1.0x low, 3.3x high).you can use high gain.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #2,436 of 2,832
thanks for the feed back. I used line out and the sound blaster had direct mode which lets me set it all the way up to 32/384k. the o2 amp has really done wonders for the t50rp. The ae-5 has a good amp but still not enough to power these beasts. Really do sound amazing now.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #2,437 of 2,832
I bought some brainwavz sheepskin pads for my build, fully recommend. Not sure what they would do on a regular t50rp, but they work well on my frankenphone. Very well made, comfy, not too thick, big enough openings. Was a bit of a tight fit getting them onto my baffles, but once one theyre good to go.

May 17, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #2,438 of 2,832
Well, after years of not being able to fix the channel imbalance of my cans, I broke down and bought a set of mk3s. Swapped the drivers to my open alphas, and low and behold, it was worse.

Measurements showed one of the drivers had a 6db increase between 450-600 hz. That makes 0 sense to me, such a specific narrow band it looks like a rectangle ran into my measurement.

Changed housings mods ect ect same thing. Since the new mk3 drivers were useless, and I couldn't mess them up farther, I braved taking them completely apart. And sure enough, one of the drivers has wrinkle on the diaphragm. (I can't remember if it was the problem one or not)
20180517_155624.jpg

Any suggestions? Maybe @mrspeakers has experience with it from crinkling diaphragms with the alpha primes? Heck, I don't even know if it is the problem

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #2,439 of 2,832
Figured I'd better ask here than start a new thread.

Is the 3.5mm jack on the left earcup permanently affixed, or can it be removed without causing any damage? I want to reposition the input to the bottom and would like to just reuse the same jack if possible.

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,440 of 2,832
Do the Massdrop Fostex T-X0 have a preferred procedure to modding vs the stock T50RPmkii? For example, the biggest difference with the T-X0 is it's stock pads which are of high quality but I've not found a tuning tutorial for using those pads.

index.php

This is a measurement of the T-X0. The big 2-4k dip is what I'd be interested in flattening out, so what would be the best mod to elevate this area?

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #2,441 of 2,832
It looks like the massdrop pads might just be brainwavz hybrid pads. Looking at before/after measurements with these hybrids and other pads (found a good pad rolling thread on reddit), they look to be one of the better pads available for t50rp but not as good as the shures. I will probably try cotton as my first mod, then try shure pads as my second.

EDIT: Or maybe not. This description from CEETEE: "Fostex-made new hybrid perforated pads". They look identical to the brainwave hybrids. Or maybe one was copier. Or lies!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #2,442 of 2,832
So is there an alternative source of acceptable cotton that can be purchased locally if you dont have any Rite-Aids nearby? I dont want to wait or pay for shipping.

Im listening to the T-X0 now. More neutral sounding than I was expecting, and they sound oddly smooth which might be that lack of impact some describe when stock. Electric guitars lack a little presence. Im guessing thats from that treble dip and Im hoping cotton is the remedy. I searched the term “cotton” in this thread and got 14pages of results. Somebody please speed to me the answer. Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #2,443 of 2,832
So is there an alternative source of acceptable cotton that can be purchased locally if you dont have any Rite-Aids nearby? I dont want to wait or pay for shipping.

Im listening to the T-X0 now. More neutral sounding than I was expecting, and they sound oddly smooth which might be that lack of impact some describe when stock. Electric guitars lack a little presence. Im guessing thats from that treble dip and Im hoping cotton is the remedy. I searched the term “cotton” in this thread and got 14pages of results. Somebody please speed to me the answer. Thanks

Although you can get a bit more crunch of guitars, I've never found a good point in modding to where they shined on the t50rp, but, it's possible to get a tad more out of them then what you may have now. I MAY have some cotton still I'm in the middle of moving so if I haven't packed those boxes up yet I'll take a look. A few others here have been extremely helpful with handfuls of supplies. What other mods have you done? I'll look over the last few pages you've probably already mentioned it.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #2,444 of 2,832
Figured I'd better ask here than start a new thread.

Is the 3.5mm jack on the left earcup permanently affixed, or can it be removed without causing any damage? I want to reposition the input to the bottom and would like to just reuse the same jack if possible.

I'm about 90% sure I had to just have mine cut out back when I had plastic cups still. If you do, you'll have to bondo that hole sand then paint, all really easy. Was there a reason you wanted to keep that entry type? You could recable the cups fairly easily to smc or others, depending on what other cables for other hps you may already have.

Jun 10, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #2,445 of 2,832
Although you can get a bit more crunch of guitars, I've never found a good point in modding to where they shined on the t50rp, but, it's possible to get a tad more out of them then what you may have now. I MAY have some cotton still I'm in the middle of moving so if I haven't packed those boxes up yet I'll take a look. A few others here have been extremely helpful with handfuls of supplies. What other mods have you done? I'll look over the last few pages you've probably already mentioned it.

Thanks for the offer!

I have a stock T-X0.

Thats dissapointing to hear that guitars arent spectacular on the t50rp. Is that true for both mkii and mkiii?

What mods bring out guitars most? Cotton? Shure pads? Rock is my fav genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back