Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Jan 11, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #1,531 of 2,832
Alright. Waveguides 2nd take are done! measurements are as good as they are going to get with sketch-up, Built them with wiggle room just in case. Besides they don't need to be toooooo perfect as long as nothing gets in the way. The models themselves are messy. Sketch-up really hates converging groups together.

Ill hopefully print and then put the prints through a smoothing process later this week. 

@BMF .obj files are coming your way once I find a place where I can get an exporter

Excellent! I'll upload to several online 3D vendors to find out if they're large enough to print and check cost.

If printable, I'm your exporter. :J

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #1,533 of 2,832
  Heh I ment a file exporter, sketch-up doesn't export to .obj unless you pay the $579

And that sounds like a plan!

sketch-up save dimensions? if not it might need setting up them on specific site. if you will print them on printer similar to this one: https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.fundable.com/profile-sections/29014/files/lulzbot-tazwithscreenlr-wt6l6rkn2i.jpg it might need sort of frame on bottom because bottom is not flat (some guides are deeper) Im not sure if they setting up this for you or if you need to prepare file by yourself. Printers that use laser to melt material in some sort of filled aquarium can do that without any frame.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,535 of 2,832
sketch-up save dimensions? if not it might need setting up them on specific site. if you will print them on printer similar to this one: https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.fundable.com/profile-sections/29014/files/lulzbot-tazwithscreenlr-wt6l6rkn2i.jpg it might need sort of frame on bottom because bottom is not flat (some guides are deeper) Im not sure if they setting up this for you or if you need to prepare file by yourself. Printers that use laser to melt material in some sort of filled aquarium can do that without any frame.

The last 2 pictures are mocked up to print.

The first show the different levels (1.55 mm difference between thr top of the driver and top of the frame) and why the inner wave guides are removible instead of the whole thing being a single peice. No support structure is needed as everything during the print is at the same level. I did take drafting classes :wink:

@BMF heh, that was pretty great

EDIT: also .obj files inherently save dimensions (but not surface data for some reason, hence the .mtl file you need with then)

STL files on the other hand, sometimes have problems with dimensions. Which is what most printers like using for an even stranger reason

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,539 of 2,832
  Gold   ♫

+1

Agreed, gold.

How did you get them silver?

Also, how does part number 8 come off? Just a clip? Planning on painting mine

There is a plastic cover over the central headband screw compartment Part # 18 on the Exploded View. Use an X-acto knive to remove it and safe it for re-installation. There is the screw and Collar Part #19. Remove them and the assembly comes off.

Silver Rails are stock on T20RP mkII. I just swapped them.

@cCasper TFG 
I may want to go with Gold/Copper if you've not already painted them Silver. I have replacement connectors packed and ready to send you along with a little something extra. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #1,541 of 2,832
The last 2 pictures are mocked up to print.

The first show the different levels (1.55 mm difference between thr top of the driver and top of the frame) and why the inner wave guides are removible instead of the whole thing being a single peice. No support structure is needed as everything during the print is at the same level. I did take drafting classes
wink.gif

@BMF heh, that was pretty great

EDIT: also .obj files inherently save dimensions (but not surface data for some reason, hence the .mtl file you need with then)

STL files on the other hand, sometimes have problems with dimensions. Which is what most printers like using for an even stranger reason

ah yes I didnt realised it will be printed as separate pieces. but wont it be easier to print it with all guides with same depth and anyone can just manufacture few blocks to fill the gaps. because they will need to be glue anyway. But anyway nice work.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,544 of 2,832
  I read through a lot, but couldn't read all 103 pages. Is the DBV #3 mod still the way to go and is this kit sufficient?

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-mod-kit/

Yes, but...the All Paxmate mod is easier and sounds similar to DBV3. The Balsa Wood Lattice + Paxmate + cotton / or Grodan also sounds good and just a bit more complicated but may sound better to you than the others, or maybe not. nick n's MemFoam Mod sounds good, too, but is more labor intensive. Is it worth the extra effort? Only one way to find out.

Basically, you choose one or try them all. There's no way to predict which will sound best to you. You will have to try them all to know.

Yes, that kit will get you started...No, that kit will not meet the needs to try all these mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back