Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Jan 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #1,516 of 2,829
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,518 of 2,829
PF approves of cCasper TFC's custom painted cups and cable.  How did he know Blue is my favorite color?!

I have a special mod config planned for these babies.

Thanks, cCasper TFC for beautiful work.

~ BMF

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #1,520 of 2,829
Well, after many many many hours. Sketch-up is clearly not designed with these numbers in mind. I have it finished.............................. Kinda. Going to mock everything up, I realize that the guides attached to the frame, are in the wrong place. This entire session is down the drain :l

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #1,521 of 2,829
I just wanted to say "Thank you!"

I just completed your dbv 3 mod except the jack sealant and blocking the vent. Truthfully, I simply didn't remember to do those mods until I closed up the cans. They sound pretty good for $129 USD headphones. True, I spent too much on materials and have a boat load of them left, but.. it was a very fun project. Bass and mids are excellent. I just need to review your post and moderate the treble for it is a bit fatiguing. Perhaps, after a burn-in of 100 or so hours it will relax a bit.

Thank you.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,522 of 2,829
Another head-fier wanting to say "Thank you" for this thread!

I also did my mod based on DBV3, but I did not use a treble reflector, nor did I cover up the vent in any way. I also used cotton balls instead of fiberglass, and only about half of the amount that was listed to be used in the mod (I did so partly because I didn't want any cotton blocking the vent).

I'm happy to say that this mod rocks! In fact, I was lucky enough to go to CES this week, and I brought along my pair of modded cans with me to try out on some of the other DACs and headphone amps they had there. They sounded great and were able to scale with these higher-end setups. I was also able to compare this modded pair of T50RPs to much more expensive headphones on the same setups, including comparing it against things like the Sony MDR-Z7, the upcoming Audioquest Nighthawk, and the Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI. I did not feel that the modded T50RPs were lacking in any way compared to these much more expensive offerings. So great job BMF, and once again, thank you for your mods that truly transform a relatively inexpensive headphone into something that is truly competitive at a much higher level!

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,523 of 2,829

I just completed your dbv 3 mod except the jack sealant and blocking the vent. Truthfully, I simply didn't remember to do those mods until I closed up the cans. They sound pretty good for $129 USD headphones. True, I spent too much on materials and have a boat load of them left, but.. it was a very fun project. Bass and mids are excellent. I just need to review you post and moderate the treble for it is a bit fatiguing. Perhaps, after a burn-in of 100 or so hours it will relax a bit.

Thank you.

Another head-fier wanting to say "Thank you" for this thread!

I also did my mod based on DBV3, but I did not use a treble reflector, nor did I cover up the vent in any way. I also used cotton balls instead of fiberglass, and only about half of the amount that was listed to be used in the mod (I did so partly because I didn't want any cotton blocking the vent).

I'm happy to say that this mod rocks! In fact, I was lucky enough to go to CES this week, and I brought along my pair of modded cans with me to try out on some of the other DACs and headphone amps they had there. They sounded great and were able to scale with these higher-end setups. I was also able to compare this modded pair of T50RPs to much more expensive headphones on the same setups, including comparing it against things like the Sony MDR-Z7, the upcoming Audioquest Nighthawk, and the Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI. I did not feel that the modded T50RPs were lacking in any way compared to these much more expensive offerings. So great job BMF, and once again, thank you for your mods that truly transform a relatively inexpensive headphone into something that is truly competitive at a much higher level!

I'm glad you guys succeeded and are enjoying your modified planars. It's all about taking a configuration and tuning it to suit your ears, preferences, and gear chain. Once modified and tuned, they compete favorably against much higher priced headphones. This was my original goal and many, like you, have made it happen. Way to go, guys! Thanks for posting.

@chowmein83
Very cool to hear about taking yours to CES and what you discovered comparing your modified T50RPs to more expensive headphones with high-end amps and DACs.

~ BMF

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #1,524 of 2,829
  Well, after many many many hours. Sketch-up is clearly not designed with these numbers in mind. I have it finished.............................. Kinda. Going to mock everything up, I realize that the guides attached to the frame, are in the wrong place. This entire session is down the drain :l

SeEnCreaTive,

Thanks for all your time and work trying to make this happen.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #1,526 of 2,829
By the way BMF, your camera captured the color of the cups much better than mine could. Now you can see what I meant about them looking much better in person.

Yes, and they look better in person than the iPhone pix I posted.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,527 of 2,829

I just completed your dbv 3 mod except the jack sealant and blocking the vent. Truthfully, I simply didn't remember to do those mods until I closed up the cans. They sound pretty good for $129 USD headphones. True, I spent too much on materials and have a boat load of them left, but.. it was a very fun project. Bass and mids are excellent. I just need to review your post and moderate the treble for it is a bit fatiguing. Perhaps, after a burn-in of 100 or so hours it will relax a bit.

Thank you.

Using your guide on how to reduce treble, I modified my headphones by removing the tape (treble reflector) from the stiff felt and approximately .5 of of the 3 cm of cotton as you guide suggested to tone down treble. The treble still has a presence but it is toned town.

Woot!

I'm glad you guys succeeded and are enjoying your modified planars. It's all about taking a configuration and tuning it to suit your ears, preferences, and gear chain. Once modified and tuned, they compete favorably against much higher priced headphones. This was my original goal and many, like you, have made it happen. Way to go, guys! Thanks for posting.

@chowmein83
Very cool to hear about taking yours to CES and what you discovered comparing your modified T50RPs to more expensive headphones with high-end amps and DACs.

~ BMF

Great guide and you most assuredly hit your goal. These mod'd T50RP may give my HE-400 a run for the money.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,529 of 2,829
Its fun making an actual contribution to the forum.

I won't have time sadly this week to redo them, but I'll get them done as soon as I can. I'm excited to see what effect these will have.

That's great news!  Thank you for contributing to the forum.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,530 of 2,829
Alright. Waveguides 2nd take are done! measurements are as good as they are going to get with sketch-up, Built them with wiggle room just in case. Besides they don't need to be toooooo perfect as long as nothing gets in the way. The models themselves are messy. Sketch-up really hates converging groups together.

Ill hopefully print and then put the prints through a smoothing process later this week. 

@BMF .obj files are coming your way once I find a place where I can get an exporter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back