Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Jan 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #1,561 of 2,829
  Those won't fit without a TON of stretching and possibly ripping the pads.

I just got a pair and ripped both installing them. PITA!

I didn't know about the mineral oil trick. Can you please describe the process?

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,562 of 2,829
I just take a small amount of the oil, a drop or two, rub it between my fingers, then start stretching the lip of the pad that stretches over the cup, gradually increasing the amount of force I use until the slack I've created seems about right. It really does make the material more pliable and easier to stretch. Then, wipe off the excess oil and start stretching the pad over the ear-side baffle. 1 set takes ~30 minutes for me to put on (usually I'm watching TV or listening to music), and removing them and putting them back on isn't nearly as difficult after you've conditioned them like this.

Use a very small amount of oil, a little goes a long ways with that stuff.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,563 of 2,829
I just take a small amount of the oil, a drop or two, rub it between my fingers, then start stretching the lip of the pad that stretches over the cup, gradually increasing the amount of force I use until the slack I've created seems about right. It really does make the material more pliable and easier to stretch. Then, wipe off the excess oil and start stretching the pad over the ear-side baffle. 1 set takes ~30 minutes for me to put on (usually I'm watching TV or listening to music), and removing them and putting them back on isn't nearly as difficult after you've conditioned them like this.

OK. Thanks

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,564 of 2,829

Can you clarify "the lip of the pad that stretches over the cup?" Is that from the edge to the stitch or ?

I very much want to duplicate your success. Your pads look great!

Thank you.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,565 of 2,829
Heads up, guys.

SeEnCreaTive has finalized his Beta 1 prototype design for T50RP Wave Guides. I ordered 4 sets...one set for myself and 3 sets for others to try. They should arrive sometime next week. 

I will audition T50RP with / without the wave guides, take notes, and then make measurements. I will post the results right here.

It takes 2 of these, one for each ear side driver, and they only cost $3.72, each, plus shipping. This is a non-profit project and all thanks go to SeEnCreaTive.

You remove the 3 inner cross member wave guides (at the top of the photo) from the main frame, sand to fit (if necessary), and install all 4 components with your preferred method.

This is Beta 1 prototype testing time. If tweaking is needed, there will be another round for Beta 2 testing. Once the design fits as planned and is finalized, the wave guides will be made available for anyone interested to buy from Shapeways <dot> com to try for themselves. SeEnCreaTive will setup a "store" which is required for ordering / "selling" the wave guides...Non Profit.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #1,566 of 2,829
Yep yep, might also make then downloadable for home printing. If you use ABS printing there's an interesting acitone vaper smoothing process to get rid of the ridges from the printing. Looks rather simple.

I'll make them avaialible once we're sure they work, no mistakes in my measurements and what not

EDIT: also I'll probably make a "double" version. So prints a pair of guides at the same time instead of ordering 2 separate ones. Saves about $1.50

My biggest worry is that hopefully they aren't too tall, sticking off from the driver too much, they are only 3mm tall but we'll see

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #1,571 of 2,829
Hi Guys, If anyone would like to work on their own wave guides or something then I'm attaching this file. every square is half millimetre. 

Oh beautiful! That would have made my life so much easier. Just import it as a sprite and model over it. Let's hope some other forms here come up with some cool designs!

*cough* although mine is pretty great :wink: *cough*

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,572 of 2,829
Oh beautiful! That would have made my life so much easier. Just import it as a sprite and model over it. Let's hope some other forms here come up with some cool designs!

*cough* although mine is pretty great
wink.gif
*cough*

Thanks, hope it will be handy. its part of thing Im working on right now. I was measuring this piece few times and needed to start like this. actually size of outer frame is not 38mm but something like 37.6 mm... dont know why, probably some moulding gap to fit to baffle. If someone would like to start modeling probably best thing would be to create square like this and split it to different groups

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,573 of 2,829
wrong thread. lol

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,575 of 2,829
http://cdn.head-fi.org/4/47/900x900px-LL-47aa9110_FostexT50RPFinalDimensionsfor3DPrintedandDIYBasswoodWaveGuides.jpeg

but I would advice to take look at this picture from BMF, I was sure that sizes are bit fractional and seems like they are indeed

Heh yeah, he sent me those over PM after I asked if he could do some measurements when I first started. I ended up doing a rough model of the driver just as a measurement holder while I did the waveguide instead of checking the picture in my inbox 20 times a minute heh.

I should make a rough full driver (well frame type thing) model for other people to use on their designs. I'm sure there are people with good cad programs who can do better then I did. The domes on the top of mine were litterally the smallest arcs sketch up could handle.

I guess we'll see howthe current design is. I have that feeling everything is wrong about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back