Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Mar 27, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #736 of 2,017
The T50RP sound the most neutral out of the three variants according to Tyll and I think he's the only person who's done measurements of the three variants and presented them:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2015-showstopper-fostex-t50rp-t40rp-and-t20rp-mk3-line-refresh#WwFbMUIZUhjHqmh4.97

I'm not sure what you could do to improve the bass response on the T50, I guess you'd need to see a breakdown of the T20 and compare them with the T50 to get an idea of what you could do but I'm sure that a few months from now there will be no shortage of tutorials and DIY for them.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #737 of 2,017
Closing down the baffle ports seems to raise the bass. There are 8 of them. I changed pads to Shure 1540 (alcantara), closed 4 ports and also closed the vent on the back of the cups.

The baffle ports being closed raises the bass.
The vent on the back brings a mid bass hump down.
The pads are just beautiful and cmfy!!!

I saw that graph and it looks like no significant differences, so it makes you wonder why they produced three models.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #738 of 2,017
I'm currently in S. Korea, and I would like to ask if anyone here knows a good dac and dac or combo for these. I canuse around 150 euros or so, and I have been looking at the Magni Modi stack, used of course. Anything else I should keep an eye open for?

(The minimum post limit for classifieds is painful for my lurker self.)

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #740 of 2,017
I'm currently in S. Korea, and I would like to ask if anyone here knows a good dac and dac or combo for these. I canuse around 150 euros or so, and I have been looking at the Magni Modi stack, used of course. Anything else I should keep an eye open for?

I've used my T50RP MK3 last few days here with a Yulong U100 USB DAC/amp and they sound awesome to my ears.
Picked it up used here on Head-Fi for under $100.

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #741 of 2,017

I've also used it a lot with an Aune X1 DAC/amp and I got that for just over $100 also used here on Head Fi. (I've also used it with a Monoprice DAC/amp you see on top of the Aune but only a few times, that works fine, too, bought that one brand new for $105 from Monoprice directly.)

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #742 of 2,017
Just got my T50RPs today, will be posting some thoughts once Ive spent some more time with them. Was a bit worried my tiny DAC wouldnt power these but no problem at all so far, first impressions are really good!
L3000.gif

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #743 of 2,017
I picked up a T40RP MK3 and Philips SHP9500 recently wanting to test something against my ATH-M50x and make a possible upgrade. Wouldn't describe myself as an audiophile but more of an audio enthusiast. I'm really not willing to spend more than $200 on headphones due to fear of diminishing returns; I'm extremely value oriented with just about any category of purchase. I just use it with an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/amp. The SHP9500 didn't have nearly enough bass for me so that was out of the running pretty quickly. I also realized that an open headphone isn't the most ideal for the majority of my listening scenarios.

The T40 definitely has less bass boost than the M50's but the bass sounds so much higher quality than the M50. I listen almost exclusively to electronic dance music, and so emphasis on good bass and crispy highs is essential to create the ideal dance effect. The T40 is way more detailed than the M50. I remember upgrading to the M50 and hearing things I couldn't hear before in music, and the transition to the T40 has been about the same. Everything is just so clean and crisp, but still fun. The Dragonfly from my MacBook, at max volume, gets about as loud as I could ever want it so I'm shopping for a beefier USB powered DAC/amp hoping to get a bit more volume, so the amp has some headroom to delivery high quality transients when it needs to. The earpads are quite uncomfortable after an hour or two of listening. The cups are shallow and so my ears touch the sides and my ears are a little tender to the touch after removing the headphones after a long day of listening. I ordered some Shure 840 replacements pads to hopefully fix that issue. Hopefully I don't have to audition tons of replacement pads because I really have no desire to dive deeply into a DIY job for these.

So coming from ATH-M50x, T40 is much more detailed. Less bass, but higher quality. I'd describe myself as a basshead and the quality of the bass from the T40 doesn't leave me wanting more. The M50 now sounds muddy and bloated to me and I had no idea before. Mids are nice and forward. Highs are more present than on the M50 but never overbearing after long sessions (I wear headphones for 4-8 hours a day). Soundstage seems better than the M50 but I haven't tested this much. Very happy with these. Sound isolation isn't the best. It seems to leak sound in and out more than my M50, but it still sounds like a sealed headphone. Someone sitting right next to you would hear your music in a dead silent room if it's playing at moderate to loud volumes.

TL;DR: The sound quality is super detailed, fast, CRISP, satisfying to bassheads who still appreciate moderation/balance. Plan on getting replacement pads. If you think you prefer louder listening levels, don't even think about powering these without an amp. T40 at max volume is about the same as M50 at 60%.

They're well worth the $132 I paid on Amazon and I'd say they sound much better than, or at least compete with, others that I've heard in the $150-350 range.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #744 of 2,017
Dratta

Sounds like the T50 might be a bit more your style, if I remember it has a bit more bass then the t40 due to more open vents. Of course you can modify the t40s no problem

But that was an excellent comparison. The 50x were the go to for most people, so I think that was very realivent

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #745 of 2,017
Sounds like the T50 might be a bit more your style, if I remember it has a bit more bass then the t40 due to more open vents.

I'm fairly certain I've read that the T50 is the most neutral of all three. The graphs from Tyll at innerfidelity.com show the T40 dropping off slightly slower than the T50 below around 80hz. And even the only marketing difference (from what I can tell) between the T40 and T50 boxes would suggest otherwise, with the T50 box having "flat & clear" on the front and the T40 box saying "focused bass."

I am somewhat tempted to order a T50 just for comparison but I'm thrilled with the results I have now so I'll refrain. And as I mentioned, DIY/mods aren't something that appeal to me. I want things to work out of the box, so I'm really hoping these Shure 840 pads fix the comfort issue so I don't have to tinker anymore. I'm not nearly as far down the audiophile rabbit hole as others, nor do I intend to get too deep into it. I know it's virtually endless. 
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #746 of 2,017
I bought the T50s from my local Guitar Center earlier today and really enjoy them so far. I have also purchased the 1540 Alcantara Pads and V-MODA cable from Amazon. The pads according to Amazon should arrive April 8-15 so I will give an opinion on that setup when I receive them.

Current setup: Schiit Stack (Modi2 & Magni2) / Beyer DT990 (T50's are definitely my go-to headphones now) 
dt880smile.png

No problems powering it, I have the knob currently at 10 o'clock with my Windows volume at 100.

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #747 of 2,017
I bought the T50s from my local Guitar Center earlier today and really enjoy them so far. I have also purchased the 1540 Alcantara Pads and V-MODA cable from Amazon.

Please be aware that using a plug that doesn't seal the jack on the left cup (like the V-Moda cable) will impact pressurization in the chamber, imparting a slight imbalance in the lower frequencies. This can be alleviated by placing a ball of putty or something similar around the connector on the inside of the cup to reduce air leaks.

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #748 of 2,017
I'm fairly certain I've read that the T50 is the most neutral of all three. The graphs from Tyll at innerfidelity.com show the T40 dropping off slightly slower than the T50 below around 80hz. And even the only marketing difference (from what I can tell) between the T40 and T50 boxes would suggest otherwise, with the T50 box having "flat & clear" on the front and the T40 box saying "focused bass."

I am somewhat tempted to order a T50 just for comparison but I'm thrilled with the results I have now so I'll refrain. And as I mentioned, DIY/mods aren't something that appeal to me. I want things to work out of the box, so I'm really hoping these Shure 840 pads fix the comfort issue so I don't have to tinker anymore. I'm not nearly as far down the audiophile rabbit hole as others, nor do I intend to get too deep into it. I know it's virtually endless. :p  

Don't quote me, but I believe the only differences are the vents on the outside, t20s all ready open, t40 all are closed, t50s half are open.

I used to play with mine, putting tape on the outside to see what happened. Heh

But I see what you mean, mine have been months ironing out bug after bug. Which I enjoy modifying, but now I'm having even more connection issues with my rewire, kinda starting to wear on me lol

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #749 of 2,017
Please be aware that using a plug that doesn't seal the jack on the left cup (like the V-Moda cable) will impact pressurization in the chamber, imparting a slight imbalance in the lower frequencies. This can be alleviated by placing a ball of putty or something similar around the connector on the inside of the cup to reduce air leaks.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back