Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Mar 19, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #721 of 2,017
Don't get me wrong, I run these through my Magni 2 @ work and it's a very enjoyable experience, but in a pinch, they run off my phone and sound good to me, though I may listen at lower levels than others.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #722 of 2,017
Cayin C5 amp goes pretty well with the Mk2s. It also has a bass boost for extra thump.Takes the edge off the treble.
It is slightly on the warm side and has a wide sound-stage, powers a lot of cans more than enough.
Picked up used, it is a great deal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729545/the-new-cayin-c5-portable-power-house

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #723 of 2,017
Well I decided to purchase some yesterday. They only cost slightly more than replacing just the headband on my Fischer Audio FA-003's headband, and the ear pads of the Fischer Audio are compatible with it and supposedly offer slightly better audio according to these measurements: http://imgur.com/a/3o9Mg which I got from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqm50k-PK30

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #725 of 2,017
I have all three models to do a comparison review soon :) (T50/T40/20rp I mean, not the TR series)

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #727 of 2,017
Lol ok fair enough, ive had a private message to say the audeze el8 will be along the lines that Im seeking. My current headphones are v moda crossfade wireless, psb m4u2 and awaiting on jvc sz1000. Now i want a headphone for my rock playlist. I want that separation and imaging. The closed back version has great reviews and sound like the kind of headphone im after. Im really going to have to go and listen to high end headphones with the mojo in a demo room i think?? If I could get the sort of sound im after I would pay upto £800 ish. Ive read great things about the grado sr325e, things that Im looking for. Do you have any suggestions? Cheers

T5p 2nd Generation do metal and rock very well, the separation, layering and soundstage are superb. Haven't heard any headphone do the metalcore I listen to better.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #728 of 2,017
I've got the T5p first gen and prefer my HD700 for metal music. I listen to anything from The Devil Wears Prada to White Chapel to Emmure. It's not a closed back though, so it seems like it would be a bad option for someone needing isolation.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #731 of 2,017
Is it normal for bass performance to not come to life until at higher listening levels than on dynamic driver HP?

I think so. Tbh, I find that most headphones snap into 'focus' at one point or another. Some work better at lower volumes and some at high. T50 does seem to become more 'fruity' at higher volumes although I try to keep it in check. It's easy to go too high which isn't good for your ears.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #734 of 2,017
This seemed to be the case when I was using a cheaper, less powerful amp.

exactly, its matter of amping, in this case anyway. volume can be painfully loud but bass will not have balls if it wont be amped right. also change pads

My amp is the Shiit Magni 2, it's specs seemed powerful, maybe I'm wrong...

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #735 of 2,017
Does anyone know whether there are any differences in sound between a T20 and a T50? I know the 20 is open and the 50 is semi-open, but the specs and drivers look pretty much the same, so what is the point?

Just got to a point where I'm happy with my T50 mk3 now and wondering whether the t20 has a bigger mid bass hump than the t50 because of the back vent on the cup. One thing I did was to cover this to pull the hump down and I wondered whether having both the upper and lower vent open might produce an even bigger bass hump?

Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back