Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Aug 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #122 of 479
Quote:
i can confirm:)  my unit was bought in Japan and was switched from 100 to 230v easily. the only problem is to open the case because the screw head is not common and you have to find corresponding screwdriver.
switch image:
http://i.piccy.info/i7/f9b4c54b3d03759b2133f6896739cd78/4-75-70/54267821/2.jpg
http://i.piccy.info/i7/a3342b7d9b5b7f953737ee83dac1a867/4-75-70/40753919/1.jpg

Sazzz, one more question to you: I just got my A8 today, but failed to find a screw driver for it. It's so strange that I have never seen such screw before. Can you tell the screw driver model you used to open it? Thanks a lot!

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #123 of 479
Quote:
Quote:
the only problem is to open the case because the screw head is not common and you have to find corresponding screwdriver.

Sazzz, one more question to you: I just got my A8 today, but failed to find a screw driver for it. It's so strange that I have never seen such screw before. Can you tell the screw driver model you used to open it? Thanks a lot!

[Picture]

It looks like a variation of/relative to Tamper resistant Torx Plus/Torx TS (pictures) (and/or Security Torx/Tamper-Resistant Torx/Torx TR). It's also similar to the tamper-resistant Japanese line head screw.

Wera has tools both for Tamper-proof TORX PLUS® IPR and something called Tamper-Proof Five Lobe, but I didn't see yours.

A possible resource of information: http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/sfast.html

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #124 of 479
Quote:
I used standard cable ( similar to what you got from printer)..
HPA8 use asynchronous mode for usb dac, so the performance will be the same if you change the cable..

An awkward issue is that each time after I power off & power on A8, it restores to default setting, i.e. Coax input, Mute status, etc.

Is this a common problem or not?

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #125 of 479
Quote:

An awkward issue is that each time after I power off & power on A8, it restores to default setting, i.e. Coax input, Mute status, etc.

It's been some time since I've owned my HP-A8 but I do remember this behaviour. AFAIK, there was either some option setting to have it remember, or it was a firmware upgrade that changed that behaviour.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #126 of 479
Quote:
Can you tell the screw driver model you used to open it?

the screw driver model is security torx 10 mm

Quote:

settings can be saved in menu option "in/vol mem"

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #129 of 479
Quote:
Quote:
the screw driver model is security torx 10 mm
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx#Variants
10mm do not existe you whant say T10 ?

sorry, you are right - T10

Regular Torx (T10) doesn't have a hole to accomodate the center pin. Hence it must be either Tamper-Resistant Torx, Tamper-Resistant Torx Plus or something else (the large, rectangular top notch on the srew head in netmask254's picture shows that this isn't a regular Tamper-Resistant Torx or Torx Plus screw).

I checked Wera as an example and found Tamper-Proof Torx bits from 7-40 and Tamper-Resistant Torx Plus from 8-45.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #130 of 479
Anyone tried the hp-a8 with external amp? Im considering getting an amp for my hp-a8 because i feel that its amp section is not as good as the dac

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #131 of 479
Quote:
Anyone tried the hp-a8 with external amp? Im considering getting an amp for my hp-a8 because i feel that its amp section is not as good as the dac

How about HP-A8's internal amp paring with HD800? I'm currently pairing it with HD650 but thinking to get a HD800.

According to Headfonia's review, some DAC's details will be lost after connecting with an external Amp. I'm considering to build a Bottlehead Crack.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #132 of 479
Quote:

How about HP-A8's internal amp paring with HD800? I'm currently pairing it with HD650 but thinking to get a HD800.

According to Headfonia's review, some DAC's details will be lost after connecting with an external Amp. I'm considering to build a Bottlehead Crack.

Can't go wrong with the BH Crack + Speedball. Do Eeet! 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #133 of 479
Quote:

i think the hp-a8 is great for the hd800 if you want an all in one package. i have tried the violectric stack v200 and v800 and also burson conductor and i prefer the hp-a8 and bought them in the end. i somehow dont really like the soundstage of the violectric with the hd800 while the burson conductor still have abit of harsh with the hd800. the hp-a8 is great with the hd800,no harshness,very good imaging and soundstage and smooth sound. while it might not be the best but im hoping an external amp would improve the sound even more.

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #134 of 479
Quote:
i think the hp-a8 is great for the hd800 if you want an all in one package. i have tried the violectric stack v200 and v800 and also burson conductor and i prefer the hp-a8 and bought them in the end. i somehow dont really like the soundstage of the violectric with the hd800 while the burson conductor still have abit of harsh with the hd800. the hp-a8 is great with the hd800,no harshness,very good imaging and soundstage and smooth sound. while it might not be the best but im hoping an external amp would improve the sound even more.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #135 of 479
Quote:

I really liked the HP-A3 for my HE-500.
The HP-A8 was on my wish list for some time because the Fostex sound so clean and natural!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back