Foldable Headphones for Music and Gaming
Oct 8, 2011 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xBiocide

New Head-Fier
Hello Gents,

I've been browsing a bunch of headphones and have frankly, been quite frustrated in my search. This site has been enormously helpful, but I figured starting a thread on my issue would help others who are looking for what I am looking for. I can't be the only one, :).

I am specifically looking for foldable over the ear headphones that will function well for both music and gaming. They will need to be closed as I have roommates and don't wish to disturb them. I understand that gaming headphones are nearly always better with an open soundstage, but that just isn't an option for me. I probably won't be purchasing an amplifier or anything like that, unless someone can really convince me otherwise, lol.

My price range is less than $200 (USD), which should be quite generous enough to get something of good quality.
I am by no means an audiophile, but I do care for quality sound.

I mainly listen to good R&B, Hip-hop, and good vocal music. There tends to be a good amount of bass in my music (nothing like dubstep, though), but at the same time, I enjoy hearing details (like a small chime in the background).

I've been specifically looking into some Sennheisers such as the HD-280, HD-380, the ATH-M50, and the Shure 840, but it is hard to get a good feel for them without physically having them with you.

Another point of concern: I live in an area where it will snow and rain. I can do my best to keep them dry, but I don't want headphones that will get ruined by a single drop. By no means am I going to be leaving the headphones opened up the rain, but I still want to be able to wear these outside, even when I am wearing a hood.

I hope I have covered all my bases. I've done a good amount of research, but I am constantly changing my opinion, which I doubt is very valid considering I have never used any of these.

Many thanks in advance!
Any help is greatly appreciated, not just by me, but by those that may read this thread in the future.

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't game much so I dunno if this would be a valid argument, but I can't recommend the M50s because they have a small soundstage. I do love them for my music however^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back