Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #3,076 of 20,634
Finally I got the opportunity of listening to the Focal Utopias (and Elears briefly) today. I found the bass to be very well extended and organic but with none of the bloat which that can often result in. The mids were as neutral as I have heard on any headphone and the treble was smooth but a little too smooth. The stereo imaging was great for width but not as airy or so great at depth. So overall a very fine headphone indeed although not as earth shattering or reference defining as I was anticipating from the many reviews I had seen.

I compared them to a set of HD800S via the same headphone amp across a number of tracks and across a number of music styles. The HD800S is lighter in the bass, equal in neutrality through the mids but with greater clarity in the treble. The stereo width was very similar but the depth was greater and an overall airier feel to the music.

I didn't have the ability to match the volume on the headphones with absolute accuracy as they are quite different in efficiency so i cannot be certain if there was much difference in dynamics between them.

Overall I was surprised that I did not find an definitive winner as I had preferences for each headphone in different areas. I guess then the HD800S would win on a technicality due to the difference in price.

Anyway this is just my view and clearly there are loads of folks who hear it differently to me.

Oh and the Elears were good but not in the same league as the Utopia or HD800S. They had a rather over warm bass and rolled off top end. The mids were great but the imaging was less good in terms of width and depth. Again this is my impression only.  

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,077 of 20,634
  Finally I got the opportunity of listening to the Focal Utopias (and Elears briefly) today. I found the bass to be very well extended and organic but with none of the bloat which that can often result in. The mids were as neutral as I have heard on any headphone and the treble was smooth but a little too smooth. The stereo imaging was great for width but not as airy or so great at depth. So overall a very fine headphone indeed although not as earth shattering or reference defining as I was anticipating from the many reviews I had seen.

I compared them to a set of HD800S via the same headphone amp across a number of tracks and across a number of music styles. The HD800S is lighter in the bass, equal in neutrality through the mids but with greater clarity in the treble. The stereo width was very similar but the depth was greater and an overall airier feel to the music.

I didn't have the ability to match the volume on the headphones with absolute accuracy as they are quite different in efficiency so i cannot be certain if there was much difference in dynamics between them.

Overall I was surprised that I did not find an definitive winner as I had preferences for each headphone in different areas. I guess then the HD800S would win on a technicality due to the difference in price.

Anyway this is just my view and clearly there are loads of folks who hear it differently to me.

Oh and the Elears were good but not in the same league as the Utopia or HD800S. They had a rather over warm bass and rolled off top end. The mids were great but the imaging was less good in terms of width and depth. Again this is my impression only.  

That is why you need a Utopia, an HD800 (SDR mod), an HE-1000v2, and an LCD-4. Once never knows what one wants to listen to, and how one wants it to sound.

Oh, and get 4 or 5 amps and DACs too :)

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3,078 of 20,634
Not change the inner cables agreed

As for the external cable there are benefits which can be obtained - imho

It's all a vfm analysis and where one wants to be
We have already had a debate over external cables and we all have different opinions on that I just wondered over the internal cables, if you look at naim kit the internal cables from the sockets to the circuit board seem small and solid not multi strand or braided to stop any interference it was just an observation

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,080 of 20,634

Not change the inner cables agreed

As for the external cable there are benefits which can be obtained - imho

It's all a vfm analysis and where one wants to be

We have already had a debate over external cables and we all have different opinions on that I just wondered over the internal cables, if you look at naim kit the internal cables from the sockets to the circuit board seem small and solid not multi strand or braided to stop any interference it was just an observation

From what I understand of electronics, the gauge of the wire is dependent on the length and the current. For such a short run, the wire doesn't need to be very high low gauge. Also, I've read that using a higher lower gauge wire in the cups can put stress on the connections and the boards the wire is connected to. 

As for the material of the wire, that again is probably not as much as an issue because of the short length. I trust that Focal is using good enough wire, if not better than good enough, for the short run between the connector and transducer.

Note also that the signal has to pass through the connector as well, both from the amp into the wire, and from the wire into the cups. In both cases the connectors are solid core of some metal, and probably do not affect the sound due to the incredible short run.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,081 of 20,634

From what I understand of electronics, the gauge of the wire is dependent on the length and the current. For such a short run, the wire doesn't need to be very high gauge. Also, I've read that using a higher gauge wire in the cups can put stress on the connections and the boards the wire is connected to. 

As for the material of the wire, that again is probably not as much as an issue because of the short length. I trust that Focal is using good enough wire, if not better than good enough, for the short run between the connector and transducer.

Note also that the signal has to pass through the connector as well, both from the amp into the wire, and from the wire into the cups. In both cases the connectors are solid core of some metal, and probably do not affect the sound due to the incredible short run.

I know what you are trying to say, but actually higher gauge number is thinner, i.e. 22 gauge is thinner than 18 gauge.  For wires between the connector and transducer, you want to have wire as flexible as possible so that it doesn't affect the movement of the transducer, which means thin (high gauge) wire,  12-18 gauge wire is frequently used in power cords and speaker cables, while 22-28 gauge wire can work well in interconnects.  28 gauge wire will handle 1 amp of current, which is way more than enough to drive any headphone, so my guess is that 30 gauge or thinner is what is used for dynamic headphone drivers - i.e. the wiring that is connected directly to the vibrating voice coil/diaphragm.  Commonly this goes to fixed terminals and then some internal wiring that goes to the external connectors - since this part of the internal wiring doesn't move it can use a lower gauge (thicker) wire if desired.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3,082 of 20,634

That is why you need a Utopia, an HD800 (SDR mod), an HE-1000v2, and an LCD-4. Once never knows what one wants to listen to, and how one wants it to sound.

How do you get an SDR mod on an 800? I have a pair for HD800, wondering if I can send it in somewhere to get the mod installed?

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3,083 of 20,634
What Hi-Fi have just reviewed the focal utopia and describe them as one of the finest headphones on the planet.☺

​Read the review this morning. I have wondered why What Hi-Fi wasn't one of the early, early reviewers (especially given the Naim tie-in)... I had also hoped for the review being one of their more detailed ones...however, reading it at the dentist's office and getting news regarding a root canal might have coloured my thinking. 
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #3,084 of 20,634

From what I understand of electronics, the gauge of the wire is dependent on the length and the current. For such a short run, the wire doesn't need to be very high gauge. Also, I've read that using a higher gauge wire in the cups can put stress on the connections and the boards the wire is connected to. 

I know what you are trying to say, but actually higher gauge number is thinner, i.e. 22 gauge is thinner than 18 gauge.  For wires between the connector and transducer, you want to have wire as flexible as possible so that it doesn't affect the movement of the transducer, which means thin (high gauge) wire,  12-18 gauge wire is frequently used in power cords and speaker cables, while 22-28 gauge wire can work well in interconnects.  28 gauge wire will handle 1 amp of current, which is way more than enough to drive any headphone, so my guess is that 30 gauge or thinner is what is used for dynamic headphone drivers - i.e. the wiring that is connected directly to the vibrating voice coil/diaphragm.  Commonly this goes to fixed terminals and then some internal wiring that goes to the external connectors - since this part of the internal wiring doesn't move it can use a lower gauge (thicker) wire if desired.

I know what AWG means and relative thickness. I meant exactly what I said. 

How do you get an SDR mod on an 800? I have a pair for HD800, wondering if I can send it in somewhere to get the mod installed?

Sorry, can't post the link. Google "SuperDupont Resonator : Summary and Interest Check" and pick the first link.

The difference between the SDR mod and not is subtle.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #3,085 of 20,634

Here's a link to the article in InnerFidelity, which discusses the mod and shows how to install it:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response-page-2#rTJ4UWORbA5i3T2Q.97

The article contains a link to another website which shall not be named where you can read up on the SDR mod.  Also, the inventor, sorrodje, I think sells them for a reasonable cost if you want to install it yourself.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,086 of 20,634
after 3 months, ive fallen in love with the utopia. I cannot go back to hd650 or hd800 without missing the utopia right away.
I find them very musically involving, I just fall in music and dont want to stop. the utopia grabs you by the balls, the senns are polite.

changing the IC to audioquest water made a incredible improvement as well.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,087 of 20,634
I'm surprised What hi-fi didn't use the Chord Dave when reviewing the Focal Utopia headphones,they always use the NAIM Nds,in my opinion nd5 xs with a Chord 2 qute sounds better to my ears, just glad they used the hugo to test it with, enjoyed the review though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back