Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 1, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #3,046 of 20,731
It was your windows bass boost "feeling dirty" comment that made my day!

Yes very dirty, but admittedly, it really adds enough warmth on the bottom to make the Utopia even more fun to listen to.  It just doesn't have a lot of configuration options, and not sure how the Fourier filter is applied 

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3,047 of 20,731
  Can anyone recommend some free EQ software for the utopia?  I feel dirty using windows 6db bass boost...

Questions I would ask: What player are you using? Lots of players have their own EQ capability. Or are you looking for something at the system level?

That said, you might find good answers on the Computer Audio thread.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #3,050 of 20,731
As far as burning in the Utopia.. I never understood why not just listen to them for yourself for months and years and listen to the burn in process progress yourself. It's kinda the fun in a new headphone.. listening to the transition over time.

In my case, I want the best sound as fast as possible from my new $4000 purchase. Sure, I can listen to it for a few hours a day, but while I'm at work and while I'm sleeping, and all the other times of the day I just let it burn-in. If one listens 2 hours/day (on average), it would take months get to "full burn-in". Having it burn in on the desk when not listening to it and it's burned-in in just a week.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #3,051 of 20,731
As far as burning in the Utopia.. I never understood why not just listen to them for yourself for months and years and listen to the burn in process progress yourself. It's kinda the fun in a new headphone.. listening to the transition over time.

i've never bothered with it and i wouldn't for the utopia either. i just listen and enjoy. if i happen to detect any changes in the sound of the can along the way then all well and good.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,053 of 20,731
well to be honest, i've only noticed a change in a can's sound signature once and it happened early in its use. so the journey was a very short one in that instance.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #3,054 of 20,731
With open headphones, the Focal utopias are especially very open,can the room affect the sound,sound waves coming from the back of the driver?can only use mine in one room.If the room was professionally damped would the focal utopia headphones sound better in that room?Just on a slightly different subject ppl are saying the focal utopia headphones have been priced too high but 4 years R&D with the best team that designed the Grande utopia I think they will probably sell the utopia headphones at a loss

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #3,055 of 20,731
umh... IF your room is very small and IF it is very reflective, then you could maybe have a subtle effect... but I strongly doubt it will be noticeable, also because Utopia seem to be not so sensitive to this.
simple experiment: put your hands on the cup and listen to the variation in sound of your Utopia. noticeable, but quite small wrt for example an HEK, the Hifiman change completely their sound signature, seem another cans!!!! 

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #3,057 of 20,731
Say focal built a frame for the grand utopia speakers,drivers in exactly the same position but open not boxed in,would they sound worse? but seems it has the opposite effect with headphones, strange

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,058 of 20,731
I've just read the latest Utopia review by Dillan. Very interesting review and definitely worth a read.

Here's a copy of  my comments

I must congratulate you on your interesting and honest impressions. Very refreshing!.
I also found the LCD 4 to be quite boring when I A/B them with the Utopia out a Chord Dave. Interestingly I would not pay the asking price for the LCD's and I would have priced them at half their value if I didn't already know the MRRP. I would also say this about a lot of gear though so LCD 4 owners please don't your knickers in a twist over this comment. I own the Utopias and came away from demoing the Dave a very happy man, so much so I purchased the Dave. I think if I had a limitless budget I can see the advantage of owning a wide collection of headphones and matching them to different genres with different equipment. Not only would this be cool and fun I can see how some would have a certain synergy with a particular song or even genre of music. Kind of like if I wanted to do some off road driving I would be better off with a 4x4 or if I wanted to do a track day I'd probably be better off with a sports car, however most of us don't own a fleet of cars in our garage and this is for me is where the Utopia comes into play. For me one of it strengths is whilst it doesn't necessarily outperform every other flagship headphone in every area it's never far behind when its not in front so the overall performance makes it a winner as it delivers a potent mix of being consistently very, very good or excellent all at the same time. IMHO YMMV

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #3,059 of 20,731
I've just read the latest Utopia review by Dillan. Very interesting review and definitely worth a read.

Here's a copy of  my comments

I must congratulate you on your interesting and honest impressions. Very refreshing!.

I also found the LCD 4 to be quite boring when I A/B them with the Utopia out a Chord Dave. Interestingly I would not pay the asking price for the LCD's and I would have priced them at half their value if I didn't already know the MRRP. I would also say this about a lot of gear though so LCD 4 owners please don't your knickers in a twist over this comment. I own the Utopias and came away from demoing the Dave a very happy man, so much so I purchased the Dave. I think if I had a limitless budget I can see the advantage of owning a wide collection of headphones and matching them to different genres with different equipment. Not only would this be cool and fun I can see how some would have a certain synergy with a particular song or even genre of music. Kind of like if I wanted to do some off road driving I would be better off with a 4x4 or if I wanted to do a track day I'd probably be better off with a sports car, however most of us don't own a fleet of cars in our garage and this is for me is where the Utopia comes into play. For me one of it strengths is whilst it doesn't necessarily outperform every other flagship headphone in every area it's never far behind when its not in front so the overall performance makes it a winner as it delivers a potent mix of being consistently very, very good or excellent all at the same time. IMHO YMMV
I would love the Dave,I entered the what hi-fi competition but never won, haven't won anything in my life so I guess I'll have to save up for it.I've not heard Dave and don't want too because I won't be able to go back to what I'm listening to the 2 qute.I'm not a jealous person I'm made up other ppl can afford what I can't, I'll never have the best kit but what I've got is the best I can afford and brings me as close as I can get to the music

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #3,060 of 20,731
I would love the Dave,I entered the what hi-fi competition but never won, haven't won anything in my life so I guess I'll have to save up for it.I've not heard Dave and don't want too because I won't be able to go back to what I'm listening to the 2 qute.I'm not a jealous person I'm made up other ppl can afford what I can't, I'll never have the best kit but what I've got is the best I can afford and brings me as close as I can get to the music

I hear you. To be honest I am usually very cautious( tight might be a better description lol ) when it comes to spending on myself but very generous to family and friends. However this is a once in a lifetime gift as it's my 50th in a few months time and my wonderful wife has paid a sizable deposit for the Dave as my birthday present. Lucky for me she did otherwise I'd probably be still be debating buying it and sitting on the fence for another year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back