Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 2, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #3,061 of 20,736
  ...however this is a once in a lifetime gift as it's my 50th in a few months time and my wonderful wife has paid a sizable deposit for the Dave as my birthday present. Lucky for me she did otherwise I'd probably be still be debating buying it and sitting on the fence for another year or two.

You're one lucky man, and she's definitely a keeper 
rolleyes.gif
 my wife thought my Utopia cost $500 as she would never comprehend me spending $4000 on a headphone that leaked sound...think I'll just play along  
beyersmile.png

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #3,062 of 20,736

I hear you. To be honest I am usually very cautious( tight might be a better description lol ) when it comes to spending on myself but very generous to family and friends. However this is a once in a lifetime gift as it's my 50th in a few months time and my wonderful wife has paid a sizable deposit for the Dave as my birthday present. Lucky for me she did otherwise I'd probably be still be debating buying it and sitting on the fence for another year or two.

That's nice, congrats!
My Fiancée put some money towards the Utopia for my birthday.

I want to force her to use my old HD650 with my Meier amp (which is a great combo imo), but she insists on keeping her apple ibuds for comfort reasons, even though to me the HD650 are comfort incarnate.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #3,063 of 20,736
I hear you. To be honest I am usually very cautious( tight might be a better description lol ) when it comes to spending on myself but very generous to family and friends. However this is a once in a lifetime gift as it's my 50th in a few months time and my wonderful wife has paid a sizable deposit for the Dave as my birthday present. Lucky for me she did otherwise I'd probably be still be debating buying it and sitting on the fence for another year or two.
She sounds perfect mate, my Mrs put 200 pound towards the 2 qute for my birthday, I wasn't expecting that lol

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #3,064 of 20,736
You're one lucky man, and she's definitely a keeper :rolleyes:  my wife thought my Utopia cost $500 as she would never comprehend me spending $4000 on a headphone that leaked sound...think I'll just play along  :beyersmile:  
It's mad isn't it,they only have to google it to see the price of the headphones.I part ex stuff to get my headphones so she couldn't say anything about it, if I died tomorrow I guarantee all my stuff will be on eBay next day and she would be going on an expensive holiday.I sometimes think would I be better off if I'd met someone who was into hi-fi like me but we would both be skint then,no carpets, house a mess but expensive shiny kit to listen too

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,067 of 20,736
I loveeeeeee my Utopia's. 

No complaints, they are magical.

I used to have HD800S... they are not musical compared to Focal's.

Happy listening folks!

I agree mate I love mine even more than the Mrs, I hated the sennheiser 800 but love the 800 ie and well preferred the lcd X to the 800 as well,it sounded thin and boring to me no emotion.I feel the same with the stax amazing detail but no emotion,they say that about the
Woo audio over the blue Hawaii

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,069 of 20,736
My lord you're a hoot to read. Pray this never happens to me once I meet the right lady.
beyersmile.png

Yeah, I'm single - lucky?

Well, I got Utopia's and saving for Chord Dave... from my miserable income.
No food for the nest 3 years. hah

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #3,071 of 20,736
Has anyone ever tried changing the cable inside the headphones?Ppl change the loudspeaker cable and the headphone cable but is the wire inside the headphones a weak link,say your using a silver cable but inside utopia is copper doesn't that counteract what your trying to achieve?Maybe I need to get out more

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,072 of 20,736
Sounds like a great thing to do for your warranty coverage.

I'm sure Focal, when designing and building this TOTL headphone, used the best materials possible which fit into their price model for the Utopia. Since it is their flagship model, and one of the most expensive headphones currently on the market today, I am confident that the materials used in its construction (i.e. Carbon fiber) are some of the best there are.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #3,073 of 20,736
Sounds like a great thing to do for your warranty coverage.

I'm sure Focal, when designing and building this TOTL headphone, used the best materials possible which fit into their price model for the Utopia. Since it is their flagship model, and one of the most expensive headphones currently on the market today, I am confident that the materials used in its construction (i.e. Carbon fiber) are some of the best there are.

This was my whole point in not understanding why people would change the Utopia cable, thank you.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,074 of 20,736

This was my whole point in not understanding why people would change the Utopia cable, thank you.

amen!!!

I guess people like to tweak/play and spend money.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,075 of 20,736
Not change the inner cables agreed

As for the external cable there are benefits which can be obtained - imho

It's all a vfm analysis and where one wants to be

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back