Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 16, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,276 of 20,644
I might just try a Dana Lazuli Reference cable anyways , any idea on the turn around to get on of these cables

[COLOR=000000]gingko@gingkoaudio.com[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Address your inquiry to Vinh Vu, I've had excellent support and cooperation from him.[/COLOR]

Was 2 weeks lead time when I asked about a week ago. Which is not bad at all compared to other companies.

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,278 of 20,644
Dana Lazuli Reference ordered
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,281 of 20,644
@a1uc - In July, I had the opportunity to try a DanaCables headphone cable demo at a Head-Fi meet in San Francisco. Although the experience was brief, I left favorably impressed by what I thought was an immediately noticeable improvement in detail, focus and openness of the sound - you can read about the demo here.

I'm very much looking forward to reading about your impressions of the Lazuli with the Utopia. Please keep us posted.

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,282 of 20,644
Dana Lazuli Reference ordered :)

@a1uc - In July, I had the opportunity to try a DanaCables headphone cable demo at a Head-Fi meet in San Francisco. Although the experience was brief, I left favorably impressed by what I thought was an immediately noticeable improvement in detail, focus and openness of the sound - you can read about the demo here.

I'm very much looking forward to reading about your impressions of the Lazuli with the Utopia. Please keep us posted.

+1 be sure to post impressions when you get it :)

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,283 of 20,644
i was listening to Utopia alone from Hugo TT, and the difference between Hugo TT + LAu was obvious. Utopia is easy to drive and allow me to see what is each item in the rig is capable of doing.

still Hugo TT for me is a super good DAC/Pre-amp but never enough when used alone. its hard to use it alone after using it with WA5 and LAu. 

some people want the Hugo TT to perform like a final rig because of the price, but i don't see it this way, or never did :p 

can't wait to test Utopia with Chord DAVE and see if it will make me forget about LAu O-o'' specially the bass/treble is buffed on it.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,284 of 20,644
I've been listening to the Utopia direct to the Chord Dave holy smokes just awesome . I'd like to try some different cables also .

Interesting. How's the DAVE compared to your TotalDAC stack?

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,285 of 20,644
Interesting. How's the DAVE compared to your TotalDAC stack?
The Totaldac twelve sounds better when compared on my 2 ch setup , but the Totaldac twelve into the WA5LE with TEK 300b 274b tongsol round plates sounds very good but I still prefer the headphones direct into the Dave . I will probably be selling the WA5LE with stock tubes and just using the Dave

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,286 of 20,644
i was listening to Utopia alone from Hugo TT, and the difference between Hugo TT + LAu was obvious. Utopia is easy to drive and allow me to see what is each item in the rig is capable of doing.

still Hugo TT for me is a super good DAC/Pre-amp but never enough when used alone. its hard to use it alone after using it with WA5 and LAu. 

some people want the Hugo TT to perform like a final rig because of the price, but i don't see it this way, or never did :p 

can't wait to test Utopia with Chord DAVE and see if it will make me forget about LAu O-o'' specially the bass/treble is buffed on it.

I owned the TT and now own the Dave.....the TT is way more than enough to drive the Utopia,in fact the Utopia is one of the more efficient cans available.....the LCD-4 on the other hand is a different story and is a power hungry beast...I always used my Moon 430 amp with my TT and LCD-4 but never needed the amp for the Utopia with either the TT or the Dave....personally I think an external amp is overkill for the Utopia unless you simply prefer the coloration the amp provides and in that case by all means

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #1,289 of 20,644

I owned the TT and now own the Dave.....the TT is way more than enough to drive the Utopia,in fact the Utopia is one of the more efficient cans available.....the LCD-4 on the other hand is a different story and is a power hungry beast...I always used my Moon 430 amp with my TT and LCD-4 but never needed the amp for the Utopia with either the TT or the Dave....personally I think an external amp is overkill for the Utopia unless you simply prefer the coloration the amp provides and in that case by all means

yeh it depend on the preference, also the Hugo TT can drive it to the max, np with that. but with LAu + Hugo TT i get more musical mids, punchier bass, and more Treble sparkle. + the hint of tubish sound. it made the Utopia enjoyable big time when compared to Hugo TT alone. not that i meant Hugo TT isn't enough for Utopia alone. also i won't say it added just coloration, it added plus of everything, not bad IMO. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #1,290 of 20,644
If you hear distortion or less musical from the external amp compares with headphone out of the DAC, it is possibly because the analog output of the DAC are not so good as well. Many DAC I have heard or used that have excerllent analog output, will always bring positive result when using an external headphone amp. Same goes to the Utopia even though it's very efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back