Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 14, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #1,246 of 20,796
its Here :wink: 

impressions to be updated way later, since next week i will be away for 10 days :<

might take new photos using a Nikon, these were taken by an old Sony camera.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,248 of 20,796

Congrats!  But here is the $17,000 question: do you like it with J-pop?  :wink:

toooo early to judge man xD

will answer that in time :p 

also Chord DAVE will be here on the 26-27th which will be a game changer as well.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #1,251 of 20,796
my pair had 7 hours of burn in (done in the store) so i guess i been listening 2 hours and 20 min maybe?

the first session is the one that have the wow factor, extra bass and treble with less mids. yet over time the mids started to sound sweeter but still need time before they open up. same case with every can on its first session. 

regardless it was a very good session. the mico details are really shocking though, and Utopia is fast! the bass is indeed perfect but will wait to hear the final product. 

utopia made me hear what can my setup do even further, it was noticeable as well, the characteristics of my DAC and AMP (Hugo TT + LAu).

this made me feel like i want DAVE tomorrow but sadly i will wait till the 27th :' )

so yeh these are initial impressions, which bound to change on the 2nd session and up :p still loved the balanced and what Utopia are trying to do.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #1,252 of 20,796
Well, I finally have to part with my loaner Utopia. Many many thanks to Todd the Vinyl Junkie for the loaner.

I will sum up. I love the sound. Everything I tried sounded great. The bass was impactful, the mids just right, and treble was sparkly without sibilance. 

My only complaint, and reason for not buying, is comfort. The headband just pressed to hard against the top of my head. I moved it around my head, but eventually I felt the pressure. Looks like I will need to wait until Focal can figure out how to make them lighter, or uses a harness headband.

To all of you with the headphones, enjoy. It's truly a milestone piece of gear.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #1,253 of 20,796
Interesting. I think I have a small head and big ears. The headband is on its smallest setting (or close to it) for me. No comfort issues for me.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,255 of 20,796
Don't know if it was mentioned in here but @AnakChan's new review on the Utopia was a very good read.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,256 of 20,796
  its Here :wink: 

Congrats! Know you have been waiting a while for your Utopia 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope they live up to the hype for you!

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,257 of 20,796
Don't know if it was mentioned in here but @AnakChan
's new review on the Utopia was a very good read.

Yes it is. Here's the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/focal-utopia/reviews/17317

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,258 of 20,796
@AnakChan

Nice write up. Out of curiosity:

"Loan unit's midrange has peculiarity that sounds like internal reflection"

Was this apparent on all recordings to a greater or lesser degree?

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #1,259 of 20,796
Can't believe how much more spacious the Utopias sound with my Kimber tcss cable - redressed that closer to the head sound staging. 
More alive. Imaging is more explicit. Bass, which was pretty great already, is superb with more impact, weight and low end growl. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,260 of 20,796
  Can't believe how much more spacious the Utopias sound with my Kimber tcss cable - redressed that closer to the head sound staging. 
More alive. Imaging is more explicit. Bass, which was pretty great already, is superb with more impact, weight and low end growl. 

There is much cable experimenting to be done on the Utopia 
biggrin.gif

Out of the cables I have tried so far (stock, Norne Eternus silver, Norne Draug 2 copper), the Draug 2 throws the widest stage.. by quite a margin as well.

Those who find the soundstage on the smaller side should definitely try out some different cables. It does help.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back