Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 28, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #13,291 of 20,634
Hoegaardener, I'm not looking back. The Grado 3000e's were very nice, but these Focal's are amazing! Once I got my Woo Audio WA22 fully balanced amplifier I kinda knew this day would come. I went right to one of my favorite operas, the Gotterdammerung by Richard Wagner, and I was able to hear, and really feel, the full power and dramatic expanse of this marvelous piece of music.

The wa22 plus Utopia is a great combo! Congrats!

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #13,292 of 20,634
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #13,293 of 20,634
Thanks Roasty. These Utopias very revealing headphones.

Get some mullard ECC35 for driver tubes and it will make your Utopia really sing. My favourite tubes for use with the Utopia! Super sweet mids and highs.

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #13,295 of 20,634
Does anyone have any comparison opinions of the Utopia vs the Susvara and the Abyss Phi TC? Tks.

There have been quite a few comparisons made.. But ultimately they're just quite different and each are great in certain aspects and in their own way. At this price point and totl level of the hobby, it's just different flavours to choose from, but they all taste good.

I gave up trying to choose between the three. I can't remember who's mantra it is, but I think I would like to echo it, and say the best of these is whichever I'm listening to at the moment.

Sorry that I was of no help!

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #13,296 of 20,634
Get some mullard ECC35 for driver tubes and it will make your Utopia really sing. My favourite tubes for use with the Utopia! Super sweet mids and highs.
Roasty, the Mullard ECC35 6SL7GT tubes that I'm seeing on eBay cost $500 for a NOS supposedly matched pair. What kind of getting crazy rolling tubes are you talking about? Lol. Right now I'm using 2 well broken in Sophia Electric 6SN7’s as my drivers. They're warm and not too bright sounding. Plus the money lady is gonna be flat on her back for awhile doing tricks to get back all the money she spent today.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #13,297 of 20,634
Roasty, the Mullard ECC35 6SL7GT tubes that I'm seeing on eBay cost $500 for a NOS supposedly matched pair. What kind of getting crazy rolling tubes are you talking about?lol. Right now I'm using 2 well broken in Sophia Electric 6SN7 as my drivers. They're warm and not too bright sounding. Plus the money lady is gonna be flat on her back for awhile doing tricks to get back all the money she spent today.

Haha yea they do cost a fair bit.. But now that you know about it, it will eat at the back of your mind until u finally get it lol!

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #13,299 of 20,634
Does anyone have any comparison opinions of the Utopia vs the Susvara and the Abyss Phi TC? Tks.

I own the Utopia and the TC. I try for months now to decide which one is better. Tough one - it is the massive/super high information of the TC vs dynamics/highlighting of instruments/3d spatial arrangement with the Utopia. Both have their charme. Utopia is more comfortable for sure. As Roasty says - the one you are currently listening to wins.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #13,300 of 20,634
Haha yea they do cost a fair bit.. But now that you know about it, it will eat at the back of your mind until u finally get it lol!
Di you try the Sr1a?

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #13,301 of 20,634
Re: Goop (glue?) - The goop started to show at the junction of the pad and body. I took off both pads and it was disgusting to say the least. I quickly replaced the pads trying not to get any on my fingers but some did transfer to the pads. I used an alcohol wipe to remove that bit but it is very sticky and not easy to remove. I checked for my invoice and warranty papers. Shows 5 years with 3 remaining as of January 2021. When we are able to visit a store I will be pursuing warranty. I wonder how common this is?

Myself and a few other owners have commented on this issue.
I'm betting it's more widespread but may go unnoticed by many.
I noticed a little stickiness on the inside edge but was very surprised at the extent once the pad was removed.
The leather pads themselves seem unworn - as good as new - its just the backing surface where it meets the HP that's broken down.
For reference my Utopia's are s/n 5XX, bought new in 2016. They've always resided in my music room, have never been exposed to direct sunlight or heat sources (other than body heat), and are stored in the box after listening.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #13,302 of 20,634
Di you try the Sr1a?

Never tried the Raal.. Didn't have any opportunity to try them out. But based on what I've read about them, they are probably not for me as I do enjoy some nice strong punchy bass.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #13,303 of 20,634
I own the Utopia and the TC. I try for months now to decide which one is better. Tough one - it is the massive/super high information of the TC vs dynamics/highlighting of instruments/3d spatial arrangement with the Utopia. Booth have their charme. Utopia is more comfortable for sure. As Roasty says - the one you are currently listening to wins.
Hoegaardener, when I saw the Abyss TC video with one of the higher ups in the company spending 20 minutes talking about the unique headband suspension system then I was out, and that was enough for me to not consider the Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s. When you get old like I am extreme comfort and the feel of super soft lamb skin become absolute necessity’s.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #13,304 of 20,634
Hoegaardener, when I saw the Abyss TC video with one of the higher ups in the company spending 20 minutes talking about the unique headband suspension system then I was out, and that was enough for me to not consider the Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s. When you get old like I am extreme comfort and the feel of super soft lamb skin become absolute necessity’s.

Actually, I don't find the abyss uncomfortable. The headband rests nicely on the head, and the points of contact of the earpads on the side of my head are extremely light. The minimal contact coupled with the amazing sound output makes for a truly one of a kind experience. It does take a little time to get the position right initially, but once you've found your fit, no further adjustment is really necessary, and getting them on for listening sessions is a breeze.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #13,305 of 20,634
Actually, I don't find the abyss uncomfortable. It does take a little time to get the position right initially, but once you've found your fit, no further adjustment is really necessary, and getting them on for listening sessions is a breeze.
Roasty, don’t get me wrong. I never said that Abyss 1266 were uncomfortable or that they didn’t sound fantastic. My issue was one more of their aesthetics, how they felt in my hands, and how they would look sitting in my small living-room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back