Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #13,306 of 20,634
Roasty, don’t get me wrong. I never said that Abyss 1266 were uncomfortable or that they didn’t sound fantastic. My issue was one more of their aesthetics, how they felt in my hands, and how they would look sitting in my small living-room.

Oh yes.. The aesthetics. No argument there lol!

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #13,307 of 20,634
Oh yes.. The aesthetics. No argument there lol!
Laugh all you want Roasty. But it was my wife who said that my black Woo WA22 and my black Hugo TT2 dac looked "nice" in my small townhouse living room listening station.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #13,309 of 20,634
I find the abyss acceptable in terms of comfort, but not more. Aesthetically and in terms how they feel, the Utopias win by a very far margin :). But in absolute comfort, that important first place is still held by the HD800.
Hoegaardener, you could very well be right about the Sennheiser 800's superior comfort. But to me when I've put them on its like they're creating this artificial sound chamber that exaggerates the distance between the instruments and the vocals from a live performance that doesn't sound natural to me. I'm really enjoying, kinda groovin with actually, the neutral and intimate presentation from these Utopias. What's your opinion of the 4-pin balanced cable that Focal supplies with their headphones?

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #13,310 of 20,634
Hoegaardener, you could very well be right about the Sennheiser 800's superior comfort. But to me when I've put them on its like they're creating this artificial sound chamber that exaggerates the distance between the instruments and the vocals from a live performance that doesn't sound natural to me. I'm really enjoying, kinda groovin with actually, the neutral and intimate presentation from these Utopias. What's your opinion of the 4-pin balanced cable that Focal supplies with their headphones?

Well, I see the HD800's as king in comfort, not necessarily as king in music reproduction. Saying that, I am using them every day for many hours since they are so comfortable when wearing my reading glasses. I also think they are unbeatable for movies, media and gaming. I do enjoy their sound(stage) for orchestral music sometimes, but if I compare it to the Utopia, the latter have the much superior separation, imaging and also punch. So, two different pair of shoes. For pure music enjoyment - Utopia. For movies/gaming, zoom conferencing and long listening while working/writing - HD800S. But each to their own.

You mean the cable from the 2020 2nd gen packaging? I never used the balanced one, but I used the 3.5mm one quite extensively when I was stuck somewhere (long story). I found it surprisingly nice. There is some room for improvement for sure, but I did not think it was bad at all. It is also not microphonic as long as one is not rubbing it to check if it is microphonic :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #13,311 of 20,634
Well, I see the HD800's as king in comfort, not necessarily as king in music reproduction. Saying that, I am using them every day for many hours since they are so comfortable when wearing my reading glasses. I also think they are unbeatable for movies, media and gaming. I do enjoy their sound(stage) for orchestral music sometimes, but if I compare it to the Utopia, the latter have the much superior separation, imaging and also punch. So, two different pair of shoes. For pure music enjoyment - Utopia. For movies/gaming, zoom conferencing and long listening while working/writing - HD800S. But each to their own.

You mean the cable from the 2020 2nd gen packaging? I never used the balanced one, but I used the 3.5mm one quite extensively when I was stuck somewhere (long story). I found it surprisingly nice. There is some room for improvement for sure, but I did not think it was bad at all. It is also not microphonic as long as one is not rubbing it to check if it is microphonic :L3000:
Maybe a set of 800s's will come home for christmas with a new PS5.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #13,314 of 20,634
Nov 30, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #13,316 of 20,634
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #13,317 of 20,634
Right on. The 800 is a very good hp.
Definitely.
I happen to stumble upon a 'like new' pair from a seller on eBay who said he only used them 1 time.
When they arrived, he wasn't kidding. There were no signs of wear whatsoever and the pads & headband were in brand new condition.
Using both, 4-pin XLR WireWorld Platinum Eclipse & 2x3-pin Cardas Clear w/ Cardas connectors.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #13,318 of 20,634
Definitely.
I happen to stumble upon a 'like new' pair from a seller on eBay who said he only used them 1 time.
When they arrived, he wasn't kidding. There were no signs of wear whatsoever and the pads & headband were in brand new condition.
Using both, 4-pin XLR WireWorld Platinum Eclipse & 2x3-pin Cardas Clear w/ Cardas connectors.
joseph, I'll keep a lookout for some like new Sennheiser 800's on Ebay and on the other head-fi forums. With my 2020 edition Utopias I'm using the Focal 4-pin XLR cable that came with them. There's definitely an improvement over using the single ended cable to my ears. Would getting a Cardis Clear or a Moon Audio Silver or Black Dragon balanced cable for the Utopias improve their sound even more in your opinion? Another thing is that some folks have written that the Utopias have a somewhat smallish soundstage, but now after only 50 plus hours of pretty much constant listening, it seems like these headphones have opened up from when I first got them. Is this all in my head so to speak, or is there a definite burn in period with them? Thnx

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #13,319 of 20,634
joseph, I'll keep a lookout for some like new Sennheiser 800's on Ebay and on the other head-fi forums. With my 2020 edition Utopias I'm using the Focal 4-pin XLR cable that came with them. There's definitely an improvement over using the single ended cable to my ears. Would getting a Cardis Clear or a Moon Audio Silver or Black Dragon balanced cable for the Utopias improve their sound even more in your opinion? Another thing is that some folks have written that the Utopias have a somewhat smallish soundstage, but now after only 50 plus hours of pretty much constant listening, it seems like these headphones have opened up from when I first got them. Is this all in my head so to speak, or is there a definite burn in period with them? Thnx
Being I've never heardI either of the cables you mentioned used with the Utopia I can't speak for them, but I do know a lot of people like the Black Dragon with their Utopia. I use an XLR 4-pin WireWorld Platinum Eclipse with my Utopia and love it. I don't find the sound stage to be of any issue, at all with the Utopia and my gear. It's actually very good too my ears especially with the WA33.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #13,320 of 20,634
It's actually very good too my ears especially with the WA33.
joseph, how much more revealing are your Utopias using the WA33 when compared to the WA22?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back