Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #13,261 of 20,566
E-stats lack in bass, imo. Still a sidegrade to the Utopia .... I think the Utopia is really very strong with either if's tasteful Xbass or some careful minor eq-uing for perfection.

I guess I will find out as I purchased an E-stats system from Ray Samuels and will pick it up later in December. I will get a chance to compare my Utopias against it and his bass heavy R-10 (Sony). I had a chance to here it last year and it was not lacking any bass when driving the SR-009.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #13,262 of 20,566
Hmmm.. I'm getting so much bass slam with the susvara, it's making my ear drums hurt!

But yes in general I do find the Utopia more fun to listen with.

The Susvara was paired with a 430HA, which I suspect isn't a good match for it? (at least for my taste).
If there is a tube amplifier with an adapter to drive it, I think it will sound more "alive" than what I heard.
It seems Susvara is a headphone that needs more careful plan to make it sing.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #13,263 of 20,566
The Susvara was paired with a 430HA, which I suspect isn't a good match for it? (at least for my taste).
If there is a tube amplifier with an adapter to drive it, I think it will sound more "alive" than what I heard.
It seems Susvara is a headphone that needs more careful plan to make it sing.

When I had the gsx mini and wa22, I still preferred the susvara with the wa22 more than the headamp unit. Technically, the gsx mini was better, but the enjoyment factor was more with the woo. I guess I'm just a tubes kinda guy..

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #13,264 of 20,566
Well one thing I realized when comparing the Utopia to my other current headphones (TC Phi, Susvara), is that the Utopia despite having a comparatively smaller soundstage than the TC and Susvara, it seems to trump both in separation, layering, front back depth, and placement.

Everything in the music has its own specific place in the soundstage, making it so easy to identify and focus on each individual element.

The sensation gets quite "intriguing". Everything seems separate and individual, but despite this effect, the music still seems to just "work". I'd even say, it's the most 3d of all my headphones. I've not been able to make out this effect with the TC or Susvara.

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #13,265 of 20,566
Well one thing I realized when comparing the Utopia to my other current headphones (TC Phi, Susvara), is that the Utopia despite having a comparatively smaller soundstage than the TC and Susvara, it seems to trump both in separation, layering, front back depth, and placement.

Everything in the music has its own specific place in the soundstage, making it so easy to identify and focus on each individual element.

The sensation gets quite "intriguing". Everything seems separate and individual, but despite this effect, the music still seems to just "work". I'd even say, it's the most 3d of all my headphones. I've not been able to make out this effect with the TC or Susvara.

Fantastic description of the Utopia and what I call spatial space. It is exactly this quality which made me miss my Utopia so much that I bought it again after I sold it.

so far, no other came close, including the Stellia. I read in some reviews that the Verite Closed would have a strong 3D-ish effect, that’s why I am interested in it. Hard to think it would surpass the utopia in this, however.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #13,266 of 20,566
Then the problem maybe a little bigger than we thought. In fact isn't that why they put the warrantee up to 5 years ?

Businesses do not sign-up to lose money. A 5-year warranty is a show of confidence that the isolated faults are not widespread.

My new pair was as a result of a failed driver (the left by coincidence). The Singapore distributor offered me a new pair for $100 more than the quite substantial repair bill (it failed outside the original warranty period in Singapore) so I could receive the new warranty.

Having said all that I will not be giving the Utopias a 3rd chance if these currently 1-year-old Utopias fail too at some point in the future.

Regards
GG

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #13,267 of 20,566
If they fail, warranty or not, the info deserves to be posted. I am on a number of other threads and none of them speak of issues to this extent. Sounds like Focal needs to keep hearing about it.
I see nothing wrong with posting one’s issues with a product even if they have been discussed before. Everything changes with time and maybe there is a new answer. What else are these threads for? Let’s all be kind to each other especially in these troubled times.
I don't have an issue with folks posting here when their utopia has failed or developed a problem, and I understand that it's disappointing when it happens - I was disappointed when it happened to me. But i find the hand-wringing by some posters tiresome when the utopia does come with a five-year transferable warranty. And it's already been pointed out that it makes no difference whatsoever to the outcome.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #13,268 of 20,566
I don't have an issue with folks posting here when their utopia has failed or developed a problem, and I understand that it's disappointing when it happens - I was disappointed when it happened to me. But i find the hand-wringing by some posters tiresome when the utopia does come with a five-year transferable warranty. And it's already been pointed out that it makes no difference whatsoever to the outcome.
It is still a pain in the ass if you need to have them fixed ( packaging, shipping, etc). Another concern would also be what happens after 5 years?

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #13,270 of 20,566
It is still a pain in the ass if you need to have them fixed ( packaging, shipping, etc). Another concern would also be what happens after 5 years?

If you still have them after 5 years, then I assume they would have brought you lots of enjoyment for you to have kept them around. So then it'd be a damn good run with a set of one of the best headphones out there. And if you loved it enough to keep it for 5 years, when and if it does fail after the 5 year mark, I suppose youd love it enough to get it fixed, or get a new pair and a new 5 year warranty, or just move on and try something new..

For what it's worth, my abyss driver has already failed once and it took two months for me to get it back. I only had a 1 year warranty, which has just expired. Just as a reference/contrast to Focal.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #13,271 of 20,566
First world problems meme.jpg

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #13,273 of 20,566
It is still a pain in the ass if you need to have them fixed ( packaging, shipping, etc).

This is actually a huge issue for me since I am soon moving to a country where shipping will be very expensive or prone to loss of packages, and where customs are notorious for asking for additional fees for overseas goods, justified or not. It is one of the things I need to decide soon. Any users here from Asia who can chime in?

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #13,274 of 20,566
It's good to hear people how they are enjoying their Utopias and giving them great praise, but if people are having issues with them, i want to hear that too. I want to hear the good and bad.
we heard you the first time, and that is the point that you seem to be missing. no one is being discouraged from sharing their positive or negative utopia experiences here, but that shouldn't be taken as an invitation to bang on about them either

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #13,275 of 20,566
If you still have them after 5 years, then I assume they would have brought you lots of enjoyment for you to have kept them around. So then it'd be a damn good run with a set of one of the best headphones out there. And if you loved it enough to keep it for 5 years, when and if it does fail after the 5 year mark, I suppose youd love it enough to get it fixed, or get a new pair and a new 5 year warranty, or just move on and try something new..

For what it's worth, my abyss driver has already failed once and it took two months for me to get it back. I only had a 1 year warranty, which has just expired. Just as a reference/contrast to Focal.
Also true. Thanks for the info on the Abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back