Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #20,567 of 20,634
Everything I've read about the Utopia is that it's one of the best balanced headphones. All I'm getting is a hot trebly mess, no bass. I'm using Hugo 2 with or without Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear. Music is anything I've tried, rock, pop, jazz, classical.
What's the history of the unit? I have tried different pads on Utopia and they all sound different, but in no case did I hear no bass or hot treble mess. I have even tried Utopia out of mojo2 and they sounded okay together.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #20,568 of 20,634
Could this be a synergy issue? I’ve seen some people say Utopia OG and Hugo 2 make a bit of a funky pairing

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #20,569 of 20,634
What's the history of the unit? I have tried different pads on Utopia and they all sound different, but in no case did I hear no bass or hot treble mess. I have even tried Utopia out of mojo2 and they sounded okay together.

No idea on the history of the unit, the headphone itself seems to be in very good condition. When I said no bass I wasn't speaking literally, but the bass quantity is woefully low. The headphone becomes incoherent and trebly as you raise the volume.
Could this be a synergy issue? I’ve seen some people say Utopia OG and Hugo 2 make a bit of a funky pairing

While others say they're a great match. It's definitely either the headphones themselves or as I suspect cheap aftermarket pads. There's no way this is the intended tuning of the Utopia.

For some context, I'm not new to the headphone game, I've owned HD600, Focal Clear, Focal Stellia, Meze Empyrean, ZMF Verite Open.... They all sound completely different, but they all sound like great headphones. Something is amiss with these.

Can any more Utopia owners weigh in about the ear pads?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #20,570 of 20,634
No idea on the history of the unit, the headphone itself seems to be in very good condition. When I said no bass I wasn't speaking literally, but the bass quantity is woefully low. The headphone becomes incoherent and trebly as you raise the volume.

While others say they're a great match. It's definitely either the headphones themselves or as I suspect cheap aftermarket pads. There's no way this is the intended tuning of the Utopia.

For some context, I'm not new to the headphone game, I've owned HD600, Focal Clear, Focal Stellia, Meze Empyrean, ZMF Verite Open.... They all sound completely different, but they all sound like great headphones. Something is amiss with these.

Take a pic of the pads for us, may be able to help to see them

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #20,571 of 20,634
It's probably going to be difficult to identify from the pictures but here they are.

1st picture I thought they look a bit thin?

2nd picture part of the inner plastic missing.

3rd and 4th pictures you can see the rough edges where the plastic has been cut on the inner circumference.

Focal charges £200 for replacement pads so I'd be shocked if this was their handy work.

20240429_230449.jpg
20240429_230730.jpg
20240429_230828~2.jpg
20240429_230838~2.jpg

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #20,572 of 20,634
Looks fine. Even if knockoff the construction and materials look about the same and should have minimal effect on sound. Just sell them as these are mostly likely out of warranty and would make no sense to have Focal examine for damage.

Edit: have you checked for cable or connector damage?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #20,573 of 20,634
Hi, so I've just got my Utopia and it sounds horrendous, like comically bad. The ear pads look suspiciously new, so I'm guessing these are a cheap knock off pair.

Can I ask Utopia owners, if you compress the ear pads fully with your flat hand, how quickly do they return to original state?

The pads I have here spring back immediately, reminiscent of some of the cheap pads I tried on the Focal Clear.

If it's newly manufactured and fresh out of the box, then it will change over then next 200 hours or so of listening. Particularly big changes in the first 50 hours with some days horrendous and other days so good you weep with happiness. Give it a chance to settle in to moving/vibrating.

If it's a pre-owned and used pair sold to you, you now know why they sold it.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #20,574 of 20,634
Looks fine. Even if knockoff the construction and materials look about the same and should have minimal effect on sound. Just sell them as these are mostly likely out of warranty and would make no sense to have Focal examine for damage.

Edit: have you checked for cable or connector damage?
From my experience of pad swapping on the Focal Clear, pads which essentially look the same can sound very different.

Anyone have a pad for comparison?

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #20,576 of 20,634

I have owned the Focal Clear as well, and the Utopias are not that different, they are just a bit more refined in every single department, but tonal balance are similar, so when is not the case, there is definitively something wrong.

Looking at your pads, they look pretty similar to mine and I also don't see too much memory effect by pressing them, so it's probably something else.

Can you for example check with both stock cables?.
Also make sure the plug is tight inserted in all its extension into the amp, a few times had issues of this kind with some plug, making the headphone to sound dull.
Have you tried using a different source?, even from a laptop or smartphone, the Utopias are quite easy to drive.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #20,578 of 20,634
May 2, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #20,579 of 20,634

In the other hand, I feel that my pairing of DMP-Z1 and Utopia 2020 has a very nice bass quality. By the way, I am using the stock pad from focal.

May 2, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #20,580 of 20,634
When did TAS review something from an advertiser and not give high marks? :rolling_eyes:
In fairness, he does point out its shortcomings and places it in the context of other high end headphones, and explains that the Utopia isbt for everyone. It’s not a sycophantic praise-fest.

And, of course, when you get to pick and choose everything you review, why would you ever choose something you’d not like?

Review outlets don’t have to “keep the bastards honest” if they don’t want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back