Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #20,536 of 20,576
Hi all,
I am about to receive the 2022 model soon. I currently have a burson soloist gt (2021 model) with opamp upgrades.

Has anyone used this pairing and would you recommend something different (or better in your opinion)

I have read a bit about some good results with tube amps.

My budget is 2k max (CAD), preferably used.

Please share thoughts.

Thanks

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #20,537 of 20,576
When recording is master crap with monster bass (i hate deutsche grammophone/decca new releases) switching to my Zootopia from my Sony headphones. It doesn't help either reducing the crappy bass

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #20,538 of 20,576
The Utopia isn't a magic wand! If the recording is bad, it will show it in the best light, however.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #20,540 of 20,576
You absolutely can have your cake and eat it too - just need a better source.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #20,541 of 20,576
You absolutely can have your cake and eat it too - just need a better source.
What's an example of a source + HP chain that is both 1. extremely forgiving of bad recordings and 2. has the utmost detail retrieval? That's the sound, I feel, I've been chasing.

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #20,542 of 20,576
What's an example of a source + HP chain that is both 1. extremely forgiving of bad recordings and 2. has the utmost detail retrieval? That's the sound, I feel, I've been chasing.
MPD-8 / MPT8 combo or a top tier turntable/phono stage + CFA3 + Utopia 2022

Alternatively MPD-8 / MPT8 combo or a top tier turntable/phono stage + Aperio (I think this one will be better but it’s not cheap)

To be clear when you say extreme forgiving I take that as you can still enjoy and be absorbed by the music and the reproduction is musical despite being a bad recording. If that’s what you are trying to achieve the above system will get you there.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #20,543 of 20,576
All top-tier headphones, especially Utopia, are very revealing of bad quality. You can't have amazing detail retreival and quality forgiveness at the same time, I feel.
Very true. If you want your headphone to make your "less than perfect" music sound amazing, what you're looking for is something mid-fi. All things considered, I would suggest Utopia is THE WORST choice for this. Utopia is relentlessly honest - whatever you feed it, it will give you back x10.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #20,544 of 20,576
the utopia is the most 'neutral' headphone that i own. it's chameleon - like in the way its presentation changes with the recording. it imparts less of its own character on the music compared to my other headphones, which are admittedly more 'colored'. it never ceases to impress me in that respect.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #20,545 of 20,576
the utopia is the most 'neutral' headphone that i own. it's chameleon - like in the way its presentation changes with the recording. it imparts less of its own character on the music compared to my other headphones, which are admittedly more 'colored'. it never ceases to impress me in that respect.
Listened to my Utopia last night on the WA33 and tonight on the GS-Xmk2 after not listening to them for ~3 months--couldn't agree more with your statement above. Admittedly--after not using the Utopia for so long, last nights listening session wasn't such a good one for me because I had to get accustom to how much their presentation changes with recording. Tonight was a much better listen for me.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #20,546 of 20,576
I know that the utopua aren't a magic spell, even tough the bass was less overwhelming than on Z1R, still was overpowering. Just commentwd on this as a what the **** ... and how wgat it used to be good label as DG now producing bassy recordings... What??

The best solution is to A) change the recording for a better one or B) EQ the music to turn the bass down (or any other offending freq)

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #20,547 of 20,576
The Utopia isn't a magic wand! If the recording is bad, it will show it in the best light, however.
I like this way of putting it. Bad recordings still sound noticeably bad on the Utopia, but the Utopia itself doesn't sound bad while they're played; they have a nice way of curbing the harshness of said recordings, but won't mask some of the nastier details like compression, distortion, etc.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #20,548 of 20,576
I ended up buying a Caldera because it is the only planar that I am attracted to after trying.
After using both the Caldera and Utopia for a few days, my conclusion is as follows:
1. For vocals, Utopia is far superior. Using Caldera for vocals is not as satisfying. I stopped using the Caldera for listening pop songs soon after I started the musics.
2. For instruments, Caldera is far superior. This is the first time I have been attracted to classical music, particularly violin and piano music.

I'm glad that the new headphone complements my Utopia. Each one excels in certain aspects.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #20,549 of 20,576
I would look at your source and amp to see if all is dialed in. The Utopia can sound from anemic and thin with piano, on the one hand, to full, warm, and dense with a good amount of weight, all depending on the source and amp. However, if you want to max out violin and piano you should look at Grado HP1/HP2. There is nothing on the market that beats Grado for correctly and faithfully reproducing timbre of piano and violin, including HE-1, Aperio, etc.

I am not saying Caldera is bad; it's all relative.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #20,550 of 20,576
At the same time, the recorded sound of a piano varies wildly. Joni Mitchell’s My Old Man, Teardrop from Massive Attack, the first track on Vilde Frang’s Hommage album, Dire Straits’ Telegraph Road and Pollini’s last Beethoven album. Utopia gives you everything the engineers delivered. I like that. Caldera smooths out the differences and can make sone recordings much easier to get along with than Utopia. I like that, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back