Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 6, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #10,546 of 20,602
Even compared with Autuer and Verite..??

From impressions I've read, the Utopia is still the best among dynamic headphones even after a few years. Treble may be perceived a bit bright, but it is still smoother than the HD800s.
The bass is also exceptionally linear among dynamic headphones.
Some people have said that you will need to have a TOTL tube amp around the 3-4k range to get the best out of the Utopia. I didn't want to start a fresh amp game, so I changed my direction to a planar world, which is less amp sensitive.
Despite all contradictory opinions out there, it is worth giving them a shot if you are considering a dynamic headphone. Given its popularity, they are easy to buy and sell in a used market.

May 6, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #10,547 of 20,602
Ha, I am sort of in your situation too. I am not necessarily looking to replace my LCD X, but I am looking into getting back into Focal. The only thing that stops me is the small, intimate soundstage. The imaging is better than the X but the soundstage is smaller. After having my Hifiman, I am into a larger soundstage, but I want a more analytical HP too. I guess its between the Utopia and the Stellia, although I tend to lean to the Stellia where I might not mind that intimate soundstage on a closed back as opposed to an open HP.

Frankly, I’m okay with small stage and intimate but I also like the thickness that the X has.

I feel that vocals and music loses its emotion if it sounds “thin”. Clear sound sure but not thin. X for me is def on the thicker side but I guess not as thick as my 650

May 6, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #10,548 of 20,602
From impressions I've read, the Utopia is still the best among dynamic headphones even after a few years. Treble may be perceived a bit bright, but it is still smoother than the HD800s.
The bass is also exceptionally linear among dynamic headphones.
Some people have said that you will need to have a TOTL tube amp around the 3-4k range to get the best out of the Utopia. I didn't want to start a fresh amp game, so I changed my direction to a planar world, which is less amp sensitive.
Despite all contradictory opinions out there, it is worth giving them a shot if you are considering a dynamic headphone. Given its popularity, they are easy to buy and sell in a used market.

Agree on the less amp sensitive part. So far the X seems to run just fine out of my Atom. Not hugely powerful like those from HeadAmp but merely 1W

Might consider getting the GSX MKii Lite tho

Will think abt the Utopia in the meantime. LCD X def will go if I get the Utopia. Perhaps I should spend some time this week with my 650 and see how I like dynamic sound compared to planar.

Gotta admit that I am rather taken in by how planars sound thus far...

May 7, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #10,549 of 20,602
I don't find the Utopia thin, not in the slightest. You can see my gear in my signature for what my point of reference is and my source gear. It's not as warm in the upper bass as my ETHER Flow open, but the Utopia does sound warmer than my ETHER Flow closed. Of course my Nighthawks are smoother and warmer, but that's exactly why I own them. The Utopia trounces all over my LCD-XC in detail and overall frequency response given that I find my LCD_XC too 'hot' in the upper mids / lower treble. The LCDi4 sounds like a mini Utopia to my ears in detail and overall sound. The LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor) I own doesn't sound as refined and certainly not as dynamic compared to the Utopia.

The Utopia's biggest strengths (to my ears) is its speed, dynamics (LOVE the dynamics), imaging, and punch.

Also keep in mind that the Utopia is a microscope to upstream gear so I'd supply it with the best possible source you can (not necessarily the most powerful).

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #10,550 of 20,602
I don't find the Utopia thin, not in the slightest. You can see my gear in my signature for what my point of reference is and my source gear. It's not as warm in the upper bass as my ETHER Flow open, but the Utopia does sound warmer than my ETHER Flow closed. Of course my Nighthawks are smoother and warmer, but that's exactly why I own them. The Utopia trounces all over my LCD-XC in detail and overall frequency response given that I find my LCD_XC too 'hot' in the upper mids / lower treble. The LCDi4 sounds like a mini Utopia to my ears in detail and overall sound. The LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor) I own doesn't sound as refined and certainly not as dynamic compared to the Utopia.

The Utopia's biggest strengths (to my ears) is its speed, dynamics (LOVE the dynamics), imaging, and punch.

Also keep in mind that the Utopia is a microscope to upstream gear so I'd supply it with the best possible source you can (not necessarily the most powerful).

ah hell, Hugo 2 or Utopia it is argh

May 7, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #10,551 of 20,602
ah hell, Hugo 2 or Utopia it is argh

Sounds good out of a Mojo as well, which you have, and later you can play with upgrading your source chain. That is, if you end up liking the Utopia. I'm sure you've read that's it's not a universal love fest for the Utopia but from my perspective it's a great headphone.

May 7, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #10,552 of 20,602
Sounds good out of a Mojo as well, which you have, and later you can play with upgrading your source chain. That is, if you end up liking the Utopia. I'm sure you've read that's it's not a universal love fest for the Utopia but from my perspective it's a great headphone.

now that you mention,

maybe it's a better idea to upgrade my mojo instead

i'll be able to demo utopia along with other models in july

as for mojo to hugo 2, i reckon there's no going back..

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #10,553 of 20,602
I need to get out of this thread before pple start poisoning me with photos

Really, the LCD-X is a great headphone. The Utopia is a bit of a revelation though... it has THE sound. No EQ required, it just sounds perfect. Technically, it also performs ahead of the majority of headphones. And, you can still get amazing sound out of it with the gear you have (imo - it may be all you ever need). I enjoy my ER4SR, and if you can imagine, the Utopia is even more realistic - instruments and vocals give you goosebumps.

However, you also have an incredible headphone setup. Between the three of your headphones, HD6XX, LCD-X and ER4SR... you are able to get close to accurate representation. While the utopia will give you greater tonal accuracy, that doesn't always equal enjoyment. For myself, and I imagine quite a few, the Utopia is really in pursuit of the absolute sound, it is a work of technical art.

I still listen to less expensive and less capable headphones - because it really depends how, what and where you are listening.

May 7, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #10,554 of 20,602
Really, the LCD-X is a great headphone. The Utopia is a bit of a revelation though... it has THE sound. No EQ required, it just sounds perfect. Technically, it also performs ahead of the majority of headphones. And, you can still get amazing sound out of it with the gear you have (imo - it may be all you ever need). I enjoy my ER4SR, and if you can imagine, the Utopia is even more realistic - instruments and vocals give you goosebumps.

However, you also have an incredible headphone setup. Between the three of your headphones, HD6XX, LCD-X and ER4SR... you are able to get close to accurate representation. While the utopia will give you greater tonal accuracy, that doesn't always equal enjoyment. For myself, and I imagine quite a few, the Utopia is really in pursuit of the absolute sound, it is a work of technical art.

I still listen to less expensive and less capable headphones - because it really depends how, what and where you are listening.

Hello, thank you. Tbh I have not listened to my ER4SR for months now so I can’t quite recall with great accuracy as to how they sound relative to LCD X but what I can say is that although natural, they are nowhere as resolving as my 1650CU nor X.

So far I am content with the LCD X even though it’s only been a week in. But admittedly, I’ve seen to have gotten used to the level of detail and speed it has. Really hard to go back to 650 (tried doing so for an hour last night; 650’s sounded like a mess).

A friend who sold his Clear for X suggested I could take a look at the Clear as he felt it had more speed and detail than the X. Might that be true?

I was rather enamoured with the Elear’s dynamism but unfortunately the store didn’t have a Clear nor Utopia for demo.

Who knows perhaps Clear can replace my 650 haha..

Totally agree with the point on how greater final accuracy doesn’t equate to enjoyment. I believe in enjoying the music and not nitpicking instead on how accurate a particular instrument should come across.

May 12, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #10,556 of 20,602

The Utopias are still great headphones and blow the empyrean out of the water when properly driven. I owned the mojo and it can run the Utopias but so much below their full potential. The hugo2 brings out the great clarity, speed and transparency which is unmatched to my ears

May 12, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #10,557 of 20,602
The Utopias are still great headphones and blow the empyrean out of the water when properly driven. I owned the mojo and it can run the Utopias but so much below their full potential. The hugo2 brings out the great clarity, speed and transparency which is unmatched to my ears
Driving them properly is everything. I feel they sound best from my Hugo TT1 over the Hugo 2.

May 12, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #10,560 of 20,602
Def disagree. Hugo 2 more than adequetly powers the Utopia, with headroom to spare.
I didn’t say they weren’t driven by the H2 just that the extra transient power of the TT1 made a difference for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back