Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 1, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #10,531 of 20,559
Don't know about you, but that's already becoming a thing for me!

My only dilemma with food is when my wife makes me eat Chinese food everyday for 2 weeks straight. Chinese wives can be evil when they start saying Chinese food is the only healthy food. She can’t seem to remember we met in Shanghai because I was searching for any food that wasn’t Chinese, McDonalds, Pizza Hut or KFC. lol

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 6, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #10,532 of 20,559
Are there any users here who also own or have owned the LCD X?

Would like to know if I would get more detail retrieval and speed with the Utopia

Current gripes with LCD X:
tad too dark (but used to it now)
weight
Earcup pressure

Loves:
Imaging
Speed
Detail

My HD650 sounds like an absolute mess after listening for a few days straight. Simply can’t go back. Would the Utopia provide better resolution/detail/ and speed but yet retain the imaging and speed?

Tone wise, still prefer HD650 but LCD X is fine after I got used to the darkness. Thanks all

May 6, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #10,533 of 20,559
Are there any users here who also own or have owned the LCD X?

Would like to know if I would get more detail retrieval and speed with the Utopia

Current gripes with LCD X:
tad too dark (but used to it now)
weight
Earcup pressure

Loves:
Imaging
Speed
Detail

My HD650 sounds like an absolute mess after listening for a few days straight. Simply can’t go back. Would the Utopia provide better resolution/detail/ and speed but yet retain the imaging and speed?

Tone wise, still prefer HD650 but LCD X is fine after I got used to the darkness. Thanks all
resolution/detail/speed, yes
imaging, no
you'll certainly find Utopia significantly brighter than LCD-X.

May 6, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #10,534 of 20,559
resolution/detail/speed, yes
imaging, no
you'll certainly find Utopia significantly brighter than LCD-X.

Also brighter than HD650/HD800S?

I am okay with the level of brightness on HD800S when I tried it (just sounded boring as heck)

Bass wise, I’m guessing it doesn’t not extend the way planars do?

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #10,535 of 20,559

I am okay with the level of brightness on HD800S when I tried it (just sounded boring as heck)

def brighter than HD-6xx, can't say vs 800S from personal experience.
actually Utopia does bass very well, but not elevated, and a basshead would def want to EQ it.

May 6, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #10,536 of 20,559
The Utopia is brighter than the 650. About the same as the 800S that I own. But the bass is better on the Utopia. Not elevated but very fast and detailed. I always worry about EQ'ing bass into the Utopia. It seems like that is when people have run into problems with it. I have had my Utopia for a couple of years with no issue. I listen to EDM and pop on it, so definitely music with substantial bass. Just never tried to crank it up, level wise that is. I listen at fairly high volume and it is fine.

May 6, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #10,537 of 20,559
The LCD-X has a better bass response than Utopia's but that's about it. The treble was a bit unnatural sounding on the LCD-X's. Mainly because the LCD-X didn't transition very well into the treble region. The Utopia has an excellent bass response. Its fast, deep, layered and detailed. But I have gotten the Utopia's driver to bottom out or reach their excursion limit at moderate to high volume levels. It scared the crap out me to be honest when I heard it. That's something the LCD-X's or any planar headphone has not done. I did EQ some subbass into the Utopia's. But now I don't think they need any more bass than what they are capable of. If there is bass in the song the Utopia's will deliver it.

The Utopia's are much brighter than the HD650's and a little less or equal to the HD800S's treble. I don't have a problem with the HD800S's or the Utopia's treble. They are both crystal clear and very detailed.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #10,538 of 20,559
The LCD-X has a better bass response than Utopia's but that's about it. The treble was a bit unnatural sounding on the LCD-X's. Mainly because the LCD-X didn't transition very well into the treble region. The Utopia has an excellent bass response. Its fast, deep, layered and detailed. But I have gotten the Utopia's driver to bottom out or reach their excursion limit at moderate to high volume levels. It scared the crap out me to be honest when I heard it. That's something the LCD-X's or any planar headphone has done. I did EQ some subbass into the Utopia's. But now I don't think they need any more bass than what they are capable of. If there is bass in the song the Utopia's will deliver it.

The Utopia's are much brighter than the HD650's and a little less or equal to the HD800S's treble. I don't have a problem with the HD800S's or the Utopia's treble. They are both crystal clear and very detailed.

Tempting. It’s either I use the funds for another headphone or source (amp/dac)

May 6, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #10,539 of 20,559
The Utopia’s are the best dynamic headphone I’ve heard. They deliver music with such realism and dynamics. You wouldn’t be disappointed I don’t think.

May 6, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #10,541 of 20,559

the hd800s sounded noticeably brighter than the utopia when i compared them

May 6, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #10,542 of 20,559
Even compared with Autuer and Verite..??
I love my Auteurs and yes they are very musical. But the Utopia’s are a step up in performance. The Auteurs have a warm, detailed presentation while the Utopia’s are very lively, fast, and resolving. So to me they compliment each other. I haven’t heard the Verite’s yet but will one day. Since their drivers are beryllium coated it should an interesting to see how their rhythm and pace compares to the Utopia’s.

May 6, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #10,543 of 20,559

Ha, I am sort of in your situation too. I am not necessarily looking to replace my LCD X, but I am looking into getting back into Focal. The only thing that stops me is the small, intimate soundstage. The imaging is better than the X but the soundstage is smaller. After having my Hifiman, I am into a larger soundstage, but I want a more analytical HP too. I guess its between the Utopia and the Stellia, although I tend to lean to the Stellia where I might not mind that intimate soundstage on a closed back as opposed to an open HP.

May 6, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #10,544 of 20,559
Utopia is the best dynamic hp.
Below is my current hi-fi system, simply heaven.

20190424_172135.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back