Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 12, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #10,562 of 20,634
May 12, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #10,563 of 20,634
Driving them properly is everything. I feel they sound best from my Hugo TT1 over the Hugo 2.

‘Driving them properly’? Could you clarify this please. Hugo2 actually has more power output than the TT(1), which is the exact same as the Hugo(1) but with slightly higher Current bias. Let’s not confuse implementation, synergy, or preference with power output (if you were referring to power output).

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #10,564 of 20,634
The Utopias are still great headphones and blow the empyrean out of the water when properly driven. I owned the mojo and it can run the Utopias but so much below their full potential. The hugo2 brings out the great clarity, speed and transparency which is unmatched to my ears

I also find the Hugo2 sounds better than the Mojo with those metrics with the Utopia. My DAVE sounds better yet, which is why I said that the OP could upgrade their source down the line. :)

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #10,565 of 20,634
Has anyone tried using a low watt speaker amp with their utopia using a speaker tap? is this a stupid idea?
I've got a First Watt Sit-2 I'd like to repurpose as headphone amp when it's not on speaker duties as I recently picked up a SIT-3. Both amps are so different I want to keep both.

The Sit-2 is such an amazing speaker amp that I'm very curious as to how it would perform as a headphone amp.

May 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #10,566 of 20,634
Has anyone tried using a low watt speaker amp with their utopia using a speaker tap? is this a stupid idea?
I've got a First Watt Sit-2 I'd like to repurpose as headphone amp when it's not on speaker duties as I recently picked up a SIT-3. Both amps are so different I want to keep both.

The Sit-2 is such an amazing speaker amp that I'm very curious as to how it would perform as a headphone amp.

I’ve considered this as well, using my Luxman tube amp. Some sort of resistive network would need to be built so your amp doesn’t damage your Utopia, or at least that’s my thought on this.

I do believe there are custom cable makers that can build such a thing. Hopefully, we’ll get a response from someone who knows more about this.

May 13, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #10,567 of 20,634

Definitely not required for great sound but it is a fun test. We’ve done it with several amps but it has a more productive affect on hard to drive headphones.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #10,568 of 20,634
With the utopias being a fairly sensitive headphone did it require additional resistors in the speaker taps?

Or would i be able to connect hugo 2>>sit-2>>speaker taps>> utopias and just use the volume control on the hugo 2?

Definitely not required for great sound but it is a fun test. We’ve done it with several amps but it has a more productive affect on hard to drive headphones.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #10,569 of 20,634
With the utopias being a fairly sensitive headphone did it require additional resistors in the speaker taps?

It would be a good safety idea if it was something you wanted to continue doing. In testing just be cautious on how you use the VC and you’ll be fine.

Sorry, I forgot to address the second half of your question. I think but not absolutely certain you could be adding a gain stage that could potentially introduce a distortion you’re likely not going to want.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 13, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #10,571 of 20,634
I’ve considered this as well, using my Luxman tube amp. Some sort of resistive network would need to be built so your amp doesn’t damage your Utopia, or at least that’s my thought on this.

I do believe there are custom cable makers that can build such a thing. Hopefully, we’ll get a response from someone who knows more about this.

Depends on how powerful the speaker amp is and how good the amp design is. If protection is implemented correctly the amp should shut down long before the headphone drivers are permanently damaged.

If possible I would test how much wattage the amp puts out under a 100 ohm load at 50% power, and make a decision on whether to use an adapter based on that number. Something like the 1266 phi is probably fine straight off the taps with 99% of the power amps on the market, but if something can dump out a kilowatt at 8 ohms it can probably fry the 1266 phi with ease.

As a very general rule of thumb amps with less than 10-15w into 8 ohms should be fine with the Utopia's directly. Plenty of headphone amps are capable of this level of output and they drive the Uto's just fine.

May 13, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #10,572 of 20,634
Yeah I want to try using my first watt sit-2 which is only 10 watts.

focal 4 pin xlr wiring is standard? ie. i can use any of the available speaker tabs that use 4 pin xlr connector on the headphone side like the hifiman adapter?

Depends on how powerful the speaker amp is and how good the amp design is. If protection is implemented correctly the amp should shut down long before the headphone drivers are permanently damaged.

If possible I would test how much wattage the amp puts out under a 100 ohm load at 50% power, and make a decision on whether to use an adapter based on that number. Something like the 1266 phi is probably fine straight off the taps with 99% of the power amps on the market, but if something can dump out a kilowatt at 8 ohms it can probably fry the 1266 phi with ease.

As a very general rule of thumb amps with less than 10-15w into 8 ohms should be fine with the Utopia's directly. Plenty of headphone amps are capable of this level of output and they drive the Uto's just fine.

May 13, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #10,573 of 20,634
Yeah I want to try using my first watt sit-2 which is only 10 watts.

focal 4 pin xlr wiring is standard? ie. i can use any of the available speaker tabs that use 4 pin xlr connector on the headphone side like the hifiman adapter?

With only 10w I would recommend using just a cable adapter (bananas to XLR). The hifiman adapter degrades SQ and I would not add it unless the amp is very powerful.

May 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #10,574 of 20,634

the utopia is among the easiest HP's to drive...the idea of a speaker amp for the utopia is literally like taking a race car to go get groceries....there are good and bad headphone amps for sure but there are few if any underpowered in terms of driving the Utopia...

May 13, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #10,575 of 20,634
the utopia is among the easiest HP's to drive...the idea of a speaker amp for the utopia is literally like taking a race car to go get groceries....there are good and bad headphone amps for sure but there are few if any underpowered in terms of driving the Utopia...

You don't need a speaker amp, but if you have one, it might just work well. One of the best amp pairings that I have ever experienced with the Utopia is the Leben CS600 through the taps. Another is the Nagra Classic Integrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back