Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 13, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #10,576 of 20,624
You don't need a speaker amp, but if you have one, it might just work well. One of the best amp pairings that I have ever experienced with the Utopia is the Leben CS600 through the taps. Another is the Nagra Classic Integrated.

The McIntosh MC275 tube amp is insane power but such a sweet sound on the Utopia. @75 watts per it’s stupid power and a really cool test. There is a Moon by SimAudio streamer @50 watts SS the Mind. It doesn’t breath hard and will sound great.

Truth be told I might suggest you take the adventure but you REALLY DON’T NEED that kind of drive behind the Utopia. It really is one of the easiest highend headphones to drive.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 13, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #10,577 of 20,624
utopia and a speaker amp is such overkill that it is downright silly

May 14, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #10,578 of 20,624
My intention to try this isn’t because of my desire for more power driving the headphones. I already have a spare amp lying around in the sit-2 as I just purchased a sit-3. And if you’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing the sit-2 with speakers you would probably want to give it a go as well. It’s one of the best amps I’ve heard personally and I”m curious what such a fine amp would sound like driving THE best headphones I’ve ever heard to date.

Speaker Tap ordered. Should be able to test by end of week.

May 14, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #10,580 of 20,624
No headphone amp yet! I just got the utopia’s. I’ve been using a Hugo 2 with no separate amp. I auditioned over the weekend woo wa22 and was6se didn’t like either. Wa22 way to soft sounding, wa6se way to punchy with midrange that’s just to forward. Also tried an Ican pro, which was too clinical, and would be suited best for studio use imo. Also tried the simaudio mh430a i think it was the worst of the bunch and most expensive. Unrefined, hard, brittle sounding.

Actually just bought the Rogue RH-5 after auditioning at the dealer tonight. I knew in the first 5 minutes of hearing it that I was going to buy it. Such a well balanced sound across the entire range of frequency. Won’t be arriving for a week or so unfortunately. So gonna play around with the SIT-2 this week.

Also picked up a Transparent Audio Headphone cable that the dealer had custom made for them by Transparent. Demo’d them with the Rogue and really liked it. Very neutral, open, detailed cables without imparting any additional sound to the music I would say notch above the Nordost Heimdall’s that I tried this weekend which I also really liked.

Oh and at the end of the demo out of curiousity, I tried, the Sennheiser 820, 800(not S), Focal Elear and Clear. Quickly realized that I’m now ruined for listening to any other headphones after owning the utopia’s. Haha.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #10,581 of 20,624
Tried the Utopia with all sorts of amps, even the EF6...! But one can tell that there is such a thing as 'too much power'; they sound as if they are bursting at the seams...ready to explode which doesn't translate into a stressfree listening experience. The fine balance between sheer power/dynamic and intricate detail and beautiful tonality is gone with a too powerful amp.
And I disagree with a previous poster that the WA22 is no good with the Utopia....quite the opposite. It tames the by some perceived brighter presentation and also opens up the soundstage a little bit more, not to mention that voices take on a more emotional timbre.
But hey, we all hear differently and even a cable change makes a difference...

May 14, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #10,582 of 20,624
Don’t get me wrong, I actually quite enjoyed the WA22. But IMO it’s just not a very accurate headphone amp. Just felt it was to Soft and delicate sounding with all music that I played through it. It did have tons of detail but with such a laid back and easy presentation I personally would get very bored with that amp as I didn’t feel like it was engaging enough. It just didn’t pull my attention into the music. I think something between the WA22 and WA6SE would be a very fine amp. Curious about the WA33 but I don’t have that type of ash for a headphone amp. I actually would have bought the WA22 if the dealer would have given me a little break in the price. I’m glad I didn’t tho’ as the Rogue is exactly what I’m lookin for in a sound.

Also I did part of the demo with an Ayre Codex dac which I had never heard of before and really quite enjoyed that dac. Very musical DAC. Not the level of detail as my Hugo but I could easily live with the Codex, Rogue combo. I may actually look to pick one up in the future as they are quite affordable.

Tried the Utopia with all sorts of amps, even the EF6...! But one can tell that there is such a thing as 'too much power'; they sound as if they are bursting at the seams...ready to explode which doesn't translate into a stressfree listening experience. The fine balance between sheer power/dynamic and intricate detail and beautiful tonality is gone with a too powerful amp.
And I disagree with a previous poster that the WA22 is no good with the Utopia....quite the opposite. It tames the by some perceived brighter presentation and also opens up the soundstage a little bit more, not to mention that voices take on a more emotional timbre.
But hey, we all hear differently and even a cable change makes a difference...

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #10,583 of 20,624
Of course you are right as well.
I always swap my amps/ headphones around to avoid some sort of 'sound boredom' as a new configuration always rejuvenates my hearing and gives me another' wow, that's not bad either' moment.

May 14, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #10,584 of 20,624
I had the WA6 se and currently own the WA5 le. I feel tube choice makes a big difference with Woo amps. Really most tube amps. I absolutely love the WA5 with my Utopia. And it does a great job with the Abyss and LCD-4. But as was already said, everyone has different tastes and music type plays a big part. That's why a demo goes a long way. If it is available. Sounds like you did it the right way.

May 14, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #10,585 of 20,624
Sometimes i Connect the utopia to the speaker taps of My burmester 051. Decreasing the input gain to have more control with the volume. They sound very good
It s true That the he1000 take more advantage amped in this way
The utopia are very efficient and you could hear a bit of noise from The speaker taps, otherwise start from 0 and watch out to the volume.
I also Like The rogue and utopia very much
Enjoy

May 15, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #10,586 of 20,624
i would have thought that all you need do is control the gain of the amplifier that the utopia is connected to. use the volume control sensibly and there shouldn't be an issue of having "too much power".

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #10,587 of 20,624
I’ve considered this as well, using my Luxman tube amp. Some sort of resistive network would need to be built so your amp doesn’t damage your Utopia, or at least that’s my thought on this.

I do believe there are custom cable makers that can build such a thing. Hopefully, we’ll get a response from someone who knows more about this.

The cable maker Zynsonix makes a nice speaker power amp to headphone converter box for $269, at https://www.zynsonix.com/Speaker-Amp-to-Headphone-Converter-Box_p_36.html.

May 15, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #10,589 of 20,624
May 15, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #10,590 of 20,624
Hey guys and gals, our friends Acoustic Designs is launching their new headphone listening lounge tomorrow and hosting a launch event for those of you looking to audition some of the better headphone gear in the Phoenix area this is the place to go. Good deals and good people Scottsdale Arizona.

Those in the Arizona area you definitely want to check out a new headphone dealer are encouraged to swing by if you can! Not all brands listed just yet on their site, but it is indeed a growing list! @TSAVJason will be there to support the success of their store.

May 16th, 5pm-8pm
16074 N. 78 st, B104, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
https://headphones.acousticdesignsinc.com/
(888) 296-0950

Users who are viewing this thread

Back