Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #10,516 of 20,624
Hear a well driven stat and planar system , then you'll change your mind

But anyway i find the Utopias to be superb at what they do. My ive heard them again recently through a ZDS and boy are they different from when i had them in the past ( used a DAVE direct back then )
Really dynamic sounding headphone, easily a genre master i must say.

But i have since moved on to a good Estat and Planar system, with really no thoughts of re acquiring a Utopia. To each their own.

I own the Utopia and bought the final D8000 recently. Very different sounding which makes them a good compliment for each other. But if I had to choose between the two as my desert isle headphone, the D8000 wins hands down, especially with the final silver cable upgrade.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #10,518 of 20,624
Really on the fence considering moving from Sennheisers (HD800) to Focals.. Have people made the jump and never looked back?

I absolutely loved my stock HD800. The Utopia is a step up in clarity, with the a more accurate tonal presentation.

With binaural recordings or 3d processed sound for headphones (ie. Dolby Atmos, games with surround sound) the Utopia is lifelike in realism.

It is quite an accomplishment and having a headphone like this is a true luxury.

That said, i do feel that one can adjust to the 800 and for a lot of music styles, the Utopia may not necessarily bring more enjoyment. Even while being better. That holds true for others cans. A lowly HD6XX is still good enough to get most of us there with some compromises.

The Utopia doesn’t compromise sound. It is as near perfect as I’ve heard. Ive read however, that an EQd HD800 will get you very close. Personally, I like the plug and play perfection of the Utopia.

And then there is cost. Your 800 is still exemplary and nothing quite sound like it. I was able to audition the Utopia many times before owning it - and compared it extensively.

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #10,520 of 20,624
The Utopia soundstage seems recording-dependent. It can be very expansive.
Is there a solid state amp that will open up the Utopias the way a tube amp can. I was amazed how different the Utopias sounded direct from DAVE vs from a tube amp (Eddie Current Zana Deux). The holographic sound stage was created by the tube amp and now it rivaled the HEKse.

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #10,522 of 20,624
I really like mine with the WA5 le. Seems like tubes take off the hard edge in the treble that I sometimes notice with SS.

May 1, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #10,523 of 20,624
Loving this new desktop setup!

20190501_120852.jpg

May 1, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #10,525 of 20,624
Nice, I think I got the same headphone stand from Amazon. Wasn't a fan, would of liked a bit more clearance for my cables

Yeah, cheap stand, but it's temporary. I'm about to tear my whole desk apart and reorganize everything, haven't decided if I want to do a wall-mounted headphone rack or not.

May 1, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #10,526 of 20,624
Yeah, cheap stand, but it's temporary. I'm about to tear my whole desk apart and reorganize everything, haven't decided if I want to do a wall-mounted headphone rack or not.
We have a lot of our headphones wall mounted, looked quite pretty but last week we decided to adjust it a little. Had to un-mount like over 2 dozen of them!

I got myself a new desk last year to fit my monitor, headphone amp/dac, tube amp, ps4, and speaker amp. I got a new headphone stand and I liked being able to move it around.

May 1, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #10,527 of 20,624
I went from a nice custom made wood headphone stand with four hangers to wall mount. Worked great till I moved my desk and now I have to look longingly across the room at my headphones. I will probably be changing my desk sometime this year so I'm going to wait to figure out the best solution. Until then I have a reason to get up and walk across the room.:jecklinsmile:

May 1, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #10,528 of 20,624
Until then I have a reason to get up and walk across the room.:jecklinsmile:

Ha, maybe I should do that on purpose! I'm loving this setup so much I can imagine I'll be sitting sedentary a lot more than usual, and can't afford to put on MORE weight!

May 1, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #10,529 of 20,624
Ha, maybe I should do that on purpose! I'm loving this setup so much I can imagine I'll be sitting sedentary a lot more than usual, and can't afford to put on MORE weight!

Are you saying that if you’re a headgear enthusiast that you’re also likely to get fat? Lol

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 1, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #10,530 of 20,624
Are you saying that if you’re a headgear enthusiast that you’re also likely to get fat? Lol

Don't know about you, but that's already becoming a thing for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back