Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #8,491 of 20,644
You're right, have just checked mo OPPO and found I've lost the antenna. What made me change is that it is a DAC + Head Amp. When I bought my direcstream combo, the new DAC was ways ahead so I had to improve the head amp.

Now I have to find an antenna for a discontinued Oppo :triportsad:
I had the HA-1 for three years, always thought the amp section was pretty good with HD800S/Utopia when paired with Gumby. However, the treble of the HA-1's ESS Sabre DAC always seemed too edgy for my taste with said headphones.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #8,492 of 20,644
I had the HA-1 for three years, always thought the amp section was pretty good with HD800S/Utopia when paired with Gumby. However, the treble of the HA-1's ESS Sabre DAC always seemed too edgy for my taste with said headphones.

I would agree with this perspective as well regarding the HA-1 DAC.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #8,493 of 20,644
Same, and I would think the DAC section would make an abysmal pairing for the Utopia, pretty much as bad as it gets. Everything else about the unit is, however, very good, especially for the price.

By this point, it is clear that synergy is everything. Evaluations of the SR-009 and Utopia are largely meaningless to me without particular reference to their pairings with gear. Discussions without references to synergy may be informative, but evaluative statements, which have been either overly enthusiastic or overly acrimonious in recent posts, have meaning only in context with gear used. The SR-009 from the T2 is obviously going to be different beast than with entry-level pairings, just as the Utopia from, say, the DNA Stellaris, may be with others. Between the two extremes, excellent possibilities abound, but just because the Utopia is easy to drive, doesn't mean it synergizes well with everything. Harsh Sabre DACs, such as those found in the otherwise stellar HA-1, will not be a good pairing with the Utopia, even if some Sabre DACs may be tastefully tuned (Geek Out 2)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #8,494 of 20,644
I think we have gotten to the point on this thread that it's all repetitive now lol. Like, what else is there to talk about? Especially for the members who have been here since 2016 lol. It's quite a long thread.
This thread has been beat to death... what I love reading on here is different synergy they found with the Utopia, or people who “like the Utopia for these reasons, but use this other headphone for these reasons...” stuff like that.

It’s been a long one pals!

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #8,496 of 20,644
That' why I had it upograded by audicom.
Regarding DAC's cheaps, some may like better one brand, but they are worth only a few bucks and what really matters, IMHO, is the way they are implemented and most off all our taste (our hears first). Also, chips possibility double every 12-18 years.

Now, my DAC has no "DAC chip" but a FPGA, which will be subject to contreverses.

But still need to find an antenna :weary: If someone knows who could provide one in the US or any alternative, he is much welcome. I've spent 3 hours trying to find a spare one on internet but Oppo has always had issues with it's european distributors.

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #8,497 of 20,644

My sound experience as well with the HA-1. Plus the fact that the AES/EBU digital input never worked and in numerous conversations with Oppo they assured me the problem was at my end. I bought another AES/EBU input capable DAC, put it in the chain, no problem.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #8,498 of 20,644
Aug 2, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #8,499 of 20,644
Yep, months, sorry. Anyway, I haven't made a lot of errors as all my posts are deleted "off topic even when I answer a question" and don't know why off topic.Speaking of head amps and DACs and how they would or not match with can is right in the topic. Read quickly this one quickly asking to be banned from this forum. Can't stand censorship. If one believes I'm off topic and remove my posts it OK provided he quotes me post and give an explanation.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #8,500 of 20,644
Yep, months, sorry. Anyway, I haven't made a lot of errors as all my posts are deleted "off topic even when I answer a question" and don't know why off topic.Speaking of head amps and DACs and how they would or not match with can is right in the topic. Read quickly this one quickly asking to be banned from this forum. Can't stand censorship. If one believes I'm off topic and remove my posts it OK provided he quotes me post and give an explanation.

To me, your posts come off as sometimes rambling, and often a bit abrasive and aggressive. Maybe that's who you are as a person, or maybe English isn't your first language and it's leading us to interpret your posts wrongly.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #8,501 of 20,644
Hello, some have the burson conductor v2+ and focal utopia?, how is the pair up?

Ty
@Bastianpp I'm listening to the Utopia's on the Conductor V2+ now. Right out of the box I knew I just got something special. Whoever is saying that the Utopia's are bass light just aren't driving them properly. Out of the Conductor V2+ the first thing you notice is the bass thump. I've never heard my Utopia's sound so damn punchy without EQ. The Conductor adds a hint of warmth, depth and precision to the Utopia's low end that I'm finding uncanny. It's doing all of this without sacrificing any clarity or detail. I only expect it to get better with time. If you are considering this amp I would say go for it. It's that good to me.

IMG_0647.jpg

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #8,503 of 20,644
are you using the v2+'s dac?
Yes and it's much better than I imagined it would be. Eventually I'll plug my Hugo 2 up for a comparison. But right now I'm really enjoying the Burson sound.

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #8,504 of 20,644
@Bastianpp I'm listening to the Utopia's on the Conductor V2+ now. Right out of the box I knew I just got something special. Whoever is saying that the Utopia's are bass light just aren't driving them properly. Out of the Conductor V2+ the first thing you notice is the bass thump. I've never heard my Utopia's sound so damn punchy without EQ. The Conductor adds a hint of warmth, depth and precision to the Utopia's low end that I'm finding uncanny. It's doing all of this without sacrificing any clarity or detail. I only expect it to get better with time. If you are considering this amp I would say go for it. It's that good to me.

Ty for the answer :), i have the burson conductor V2+ but in black:), with burn in you will get a less bright sound.
More body and soft sounding. :)

At the moment Utopia sound bright with CV2+?

enjoy your burson :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #8,505 of 20,644
Yes and it's much better than I imagined it would be. Eventually I'll plug my Hugo 2 up for a comparison. But right now I'm really enjoying the Burson sound.
glad you're enjoying the pairing. i'd be interested in your impressions of how it compares to the hugo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back