Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 3, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #8,521 of 20,624
oh if the higs become more neutral or bright i think i shouldn't like it, i think i should prefer the stock Dac of burson
Most definitely, if you want toned down highs then the stock DAC works wonders with the Utopia's. It's very warm and it's tuned specifically for the sound Burson wanted. But the Utopia's are capable of delivering so much more. :wink:

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #8,522 of 20,624
Two things -

- my silver cable from Invictus Cable (eBay) has arrived, and it's a day and night difference compared to the stock cable. I was subconsciously looking for great IEMs because I felt that the Utopia was not letting me close enough to the details - yep, a veil - which I feel is now completely gone.

- the Audio-gd NFB11.38 is incredibly good with Utopias, better than all my tubes, than R2R11, than Hugo 2. (I've listened to Hugo 2 only shortly so far, received it today, so maybe my brain isn't burned in enough to fully appreciate it. I mean, the details on Hugo are incredible but the NFB has better overall presentation and presence, and it doesn't make you feel that you are missing any details.)

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #8,523 of 20,624
thanks for your comparative impressions @Slim1970 tho we seem to hear the v2+ differently. i wouldn't characterise it as warm with toned down highs. i'd say that it leans towards a bright presentation using the on-board dac.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #8,525 of 20,624
thanks for your comparative impressions @Slim1970 tho we seem to hear the v2+ differently. i wouldn't characterise it as warm with toned down highs. i'd say that it leans towards a bright presentation using the on-board dac.
@up late maybe I have old ears, lol. I do like the sound of the V2+ but I'm not finding it bright at all. It has excellent tone though.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #8,527 of 20,624
My Dealer has had my Clear in for warranty repair for over a month, so I asked them to send me one of their “Lending Library” Utopia. Wow, even with my pedestrian system (BlueSound Streamer>Vinshine R2R Reference DAC>Cavalli CTH ((Amprex A-Frame EC88)) or Lyr 3 ((Ken Rad VT231)), the Utopia has an incredible ”jump factor!”

Listening to the Dave Brubeck ”Live at Carnegie Hall” that was recommended a dozen or so pages back, ”Castillian Drums” and damn, I almost spilled my beer. It's beginning to look like I'll be telling the Cable Company to keep my Clear and keeping the Utopia. As several of you have noted, the treble doesn't sound harsh, its close, but not over my desired threshold. I'm loving hearing deep into tracks, the impact, explosion of drum strikes, really these are an ideal companion to the Abyss.

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #8,528 of 20,624
I just paired my Utopia with an A&K SP1000 with a balanced cable. Holy cow! I've been way too old school. I think it is definitely time to move on from my old Red Wine Modded iPod and ear buds. I'm sure this isn't news to anyone hear but I just wanted to post my impression.

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #8,529 of 20,624
I just paired my Utopia with an A&K SP1000 with a balanced cable. Holy cow! I've been way too old school. I think it is definitely time to move on from my old Red Wine Modded iPod and ear buds. I'm sure this isn't news to anyone hear but I just wanted to post my impression.
'Time out' was one of my "killer records" when I wrote reviews, specialy the timpani on "Take Five"
Could you please let me now which balanced cable ? Thanx

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #8,530 of 20,624
'Time out' was one of my "killer records" when I wrote reviews, specialy the timpani on "Take Five"
Could you please let me now which balanced cable ? Thanx

It is a HeadphoneLounge T2 OCC copper cable. It's nice and flexible and so comfortable. The sound is exactly what I expect from copper.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #8,531 of 20,624
Aug 5, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #8,532 of 20,624
@teds headfood is a great guy to do business with.

Easy communication and built to order. It's a perfect fit so I can bring my Utopias around and not have them simply sit in my office unused. I've been an off and on lurker here for many years and I have never been disappointed by taking advice from this group.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #8,535 of 20,624
Is the utopia any good for gaming/fps gaming even though the soundstage isnt as large as hd800s??
I've never had any issues with it. Sure, HD800S will have a larger sound stage but with the right upstream gear it's serviceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back